Bakery Convention.. And News!!!

Business By FlowerGirlMN Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 6:25am by all4cake

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:48am
post #1 of 16

Hey guys,

I went to the Midwest Bakers Association convention this weekend. What a freaking blast!!

I met a cake buddy of mine - TPDC was her username, I think - and then we waited for a friend of hers, that I'd never met: Moydear.

Holy crap! I have NO idea why I figured that Moydear was a little old lady, but she's my age, Asian (LOL, had to mention it after a convo we had!), and one of the coolest people I've ever met!

So 3 minutes into our first seminar, we're all put off by what the speaker is saying, decide to go out for a walk. Got to a bar, pissed off a waitress bad enough that she wouldn't serve us anymore (and we weren't even rude or anything!!!), go to another one.. miss ALL of the seminars for that day..

... She won a gold medal for the one competition she entered (she really rocked the house with a carved Chicken Run cake)

... Then *I* won my very first gold medal EVER, in the first competition I've entered. It was in the baked goods category, I didn't have time for any of the cake categories. Next year! It really sucks that we served hubby's bday cake (see my gallery) on Friday.. I think it would have done SO well in the competition!

Oh, and you know that thread about lighting each other's candles? Some of you mentioned hoping someone would light mine... well, Moydear did! Dunno if I should post about it here, but she is doing me a HUGE favor, acting like it's totally no big deal.. but it opened a door that I thought was closed months ago. Really, really excited about it!

None of us ended up going to any seminars all weekend, but I tell ya.. I learned more this weekend than I have in the past several months!!

I haven't had a day off in weeks,and am hoping to take one tomorrow. SO exhausted.

15 replies
TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 16

Sometimes a Professional Baker's convention is not for some people. I'm sorry that you missed the seminars because I'm sure that some of them would've been very educational and they have a lot of seminars on different things from how to run a more successful business to sanitation and even some on marketing.

They even have, gasp, some on improving decorating skills!

or new equipment and products.

But glad that someone is doing you a solid though.

FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 16

These were very much geared towards grocery bakeries.. "basic" fondant techniques.. the one we went to ended up being about ways to make money with small price points on individual serving cakes at the checkout. When they said you can charge lower per-serving prices, we were outta there, lol!

There was one I REALLY wanted to go see - pulled sugar - but we were, uhm.. otherwise distracted. LOL.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 16

It was certainly a blast and a very fun experience! I find that in this industry that everyone has a door that needs opening. I always fully extend myself for those willing to accept. Unfortunately, there are those in the world who burn bridges for whatever reason. I have made countless connections at convention and shows. I am thrilled to get another gold and so proud to have been there to see you get your first! You are very talented and I am so glad to have met you!
I was asked to demo next year and for ICES possibly! You might have to sit in on that one!
Yes, the seminar was geared towards more wholesale and so glad we went to get a bit toe up! I will teach you sugar darling!

moydear77 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

Hey guys,

Holy crap! I have NO idea why I figured that Moydear was a little old lady, but she's my age, Asian (LOL, had to mention it after a convo we had!), and one of the coolest people I've ever met!

Giggleicon_smile.gif

FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 16

Ya.. it sucks, the amount of snotty bitchiness you've had to deal with. Jealousy can be such an ugly thing, and I sorta dread ever getting good enough to have to be subject to that, ya know?

View your demo? Hrm. Depends how close the bars are, and how entertaining the waitresses are. LOL!

Definitely looking forward to being taught sugar! You are awesome. You know, for a crotchety little old lady and all icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

Ya.. it sucks, the amount of snotty bitchiness you've had to deal with. Jealousy can be such an ugly thing, and I sorta dread ever getting good enough to have to be subject to that, ya know?

View your demo? Hrm. Depends how close the bars are, and how entertaining the waitresses are. LOL!

Definitely looking forward to being taught sugar! You are awesome. You know, for a crotchety little old lady and all icon_smile.gif

That is just my stunt double I send out for public showings!

FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 16

I think I figured out why I had the image in my head that I did. Your technique (I have no idea what to call that) on that orange cake - and I think I saw others?) reminds me of creweling.

I don't even know if that's a word. Very prissy, exact needlepoint craft that some of the old ladies in my family do - it was really exact. I think I drew a parallel. That, and most people our age aren't exactly known for precise, fine attention to detail. LOL

moydear77 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 16

You are so funny!

FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 16

http://www.megacalendars.com/images/maxine%20new%20_fc.jpg <- this is the kinda image that I had in my head. When i went to google, I had to laugh at some of the things this character "says". Maybe I wasn't TOO far off, lol!!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 16

I want more info on the wins! icon_lol.gif What did you bake and pics of the winning cake?

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 16

Mocha Nanaimo bars! I didn't take a pic of them, but I have photos of older batches on my site.

I'll let her post pics of her cake - I was too dumb to remember to bring a camera, LOL!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 16

Sounds like you had a blast...

Congrats on the gold medal wins to the two of you!

FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:47am
post #15 of 16

Suuuuure... Rub it in... there. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ow!

That's I guess what I get for running off the previous weekend to ICES then Bronwen's class on a non-daycare day the week before. DH had me staining the hand rail for our basement instead then watching DD all Sunday afternoon/evening so he could work on some stuff (oh well, DD was such a good girl I took her to McDonald's.. I figure if she can sit through church and be quiet, it's worth $2.79 for the cheap bracelet in the Happy Meal - and more importantly, for once me not wanting to wash dishes!!! icon_lol.gif )...

One of these years I'll get to the convention. This is my busiest time of year because I'm close to getting ready to get out on the road again for my other business.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #16 of 16

Congratulations to you both on the gold! It's nice to hear what a wonderful time ya'll had too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%