How Do I Make A Durable Cupcake Tower?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 5:32am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 18

I have seen some beautiful cupcake towers on here and was hoping some of you can give me some insight or instructions on how to make a steady, durable cupcake tower. I have a birthday cupcake order in a month and need to make a tower to hold 50 plus cupcakes and a 6 inch cake on top. I know some have used cake circles and covered them in contact paper, but what about that goes in between the rounds?????

I also have a wedding cupcake order in June for 200 cupcakes.....I have no idea what to create without buying something so expensive. I don't think I want to buy one because this is the only wedding cupcake order I have. What if I don't get another one???? I don't want to waste my money on a stand for a one time deal...ya know....

Any help, advice, guidance is very much appreciated....THANK YOU!

17 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 18

i sent you a PM. hope it helps you icon_smile.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 18

HI- I've followed Cake Journals method for making a tower. Here is the link: http://www.cakejournal.com/?p=31

Hope this helps.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 18

i also dont want to buy anything expensive,

cupcakeshoppe can you pm me too?
delisa01 - thanks for the link. looks like i will have a new project.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 18

www.cupcaketree.com They have cardboard ones that can be decorated and reused

dtmc Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaL_77

www.cupcaketree.com They have cardboard ones

I know they have the card board ones. But these two clients want a prettier version of the card board ones and want to rent something and not pay more than $30 to rent one.

Thanks for the links above and thanks cupcake shoppe for the pm. That is an awesome site!!!!

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 18

Hi all.. I'm facing the same problem as dtmc whereby i have one cupcake order coming up in May for 250 cupcakes.. but as it's also my one and only order for a cupcake tower I'm also hesistant to spend money to buy a tower in case i don't get any more orders.. Cupcakeshoppe, would you be so kind as to also pm me?? Thanks so much!! icon_smile.gif

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 18

I have a photo of my cupcake tower that my fabulous and talented DH built for me last summer. He used "MDF?" boards and dowels rods. We chose graduated sizes, such as 24" base; 20", 16" and so on. He spaced each tier about 4" apart. I'm so proud of him. It really provided a wonderful display for the 1,100 cupcakes that I was contracted to do a for a local hospital's 40th anniversary last year. The tree held about 200-250 regular sized cupcakes at one time, and of course, was refilled as needed. The whole thing cost about $20 to make. Well worth it in the long run for me.

HTH,
Amy

serenelui Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 18

Cakesbyamym.. do you have any pics of how the tower looked like?? :p

serenelui Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 18

oops.. haha.. just realised that it is in your photo gallery icon_razz.gif

dtmc Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamym

I have a photo of my cupcake tower that my fabulous and talented DH built for me last summer. He used "MDF?" boards and dowels rods. We chose graduated sizes, such as 24" base; 20", 16" and so on. He spaced each tier about 4" apart. I'm so proud of him. It really provided a wonderful display for the 1,100 cupcakes that I was contracted to do a for a local hospital's 40th anniversary last year. The tree held about 200-250 regular sized cupcakes at one time, and of course, was refilled as needed. The whole thing cost about $20 to make. Well worth it in the long run for me.

HTH,
Amy

HI Amy...I like that! Did your husband just screw in the dowl rods from the top? And what did you use to paint the whole thing? Also, did he shape the round boards or did you guys buy them pre cut? Sorry for the questions, but $20 I can afford..hahahahahaha

cakesbyamym Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 18

I'll get the details from him and post a response a little later on. He's enthralled in the race right now. LOL.

Amy

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 18

I am doing a cupcake wedding in August for 100 cupcakes and the bride and I decided to wrap graduated styrofoam squares with muslin and wrap ribbon around them. Then will stack them with the 8" cake on the top level. We saw it in a magazine. Remember it doesn't have to be round. icon_smile.gif

cakesbyamym Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 18

DH used a sheet of MDF board. He used his saw to cut out the graduated tiers and 1/2" dowel rods. He says that the next one will be made with the 3/4" dowel rods. He countersunk/pre-drilled four holes for each base about half way through the board. He used glue on each end of the dowel rods and screwed them through the board. The screw will hold it in place, but the glue is permanent. Repeat from smallest tier to the largest. He says if you do it largest to smallest, you can't get the screws in correctly. Sand off any rough edges and paint with regular white paint.

Amy

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 18

cakesbyamym, does it come apart for travel?

cakesbyamym Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 18

No. It's glued and screwed together. I have a Mitsubishi Outlander (a smaller SUV), and it fits very nicely, upright for travel.

Amy

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #17 of 18

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much cakesbyamym!!! I have a large amount of cupcakes to do for a wedding this summer and I think I've found a way to display them nicely. icon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:32am
post #18 of 18

you're welcome dmtc.

the link was simplycupcakes.multiply.com
view the gallery

the cupcake towers there are tall and really beautiful. hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%