Transport Cakes Already Stacked

Decorating By abayes Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 8:08am by designsbydelights

abayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abayes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 8

Was wondering if you can transport cakes already stacked. I was wanting to take a cake to daughters work for a suprise but need it stacked before I get it there. Thank you for any info

7 replies
CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 8

I've done this with smaller 2 tier cakes without an issue. I don't know about larger then that though...

I am wondering too about a 4 tier wedding cake.. if I could stack the two bottom and two top and then trasport it. Might be tricky setting two tiers stacked down onto the bottom tiers though.

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

I've never attempted a 3 tier cake yet but if you have the support under each tier and a long wooden dowel down the center, shouldn't it be able to make it?

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 8

I transported a 4 tier wedding cake fully stacked with no problems. Just make sure your support system is fully carrying the weight of each tier...no weight at all on the cakes. I also put a dowel down thru the bottom 3 cakes and into the base so that it wouldn't slide during transport...couldn't put it thru the top tier because of the design. I think I also read that Leahs transports her cakes completely stacked.

ChefJackieFlorida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefJackieFlorida Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 8

I also transport mine completely stacked. Make sure there is a dowel through at least the bottom three tiers. I always have someone with me to carry the cake on their lap. Be careful driving!!!

Chef Jackie

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 8

I have always taken all of mine stacked, to four tiers, because that is all I can carry by myself. They ride just fine.

Just make sure you have a good support system with a dowel down through the whole thing. I use the logicpic support. AND it helps if the cakes are super cold when you load them in the car; it makes them sturdier. I'd never drive a soft, room-temp cake anywhere.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #7 of 8

SPS is the support system I'm always talking about. Cheap, easy, sturdy. And NO dowels to cut. PM me with your email addy and I'll send you instructions with pictures.

designsbydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydelights Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 8:08am
post #8 of 8

I did it today with a wedding cake - 16" bottom and 12" top. Drove a stake through it's little heart, went 20 or so miles and added the 8" top - viola!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%