Martha Stewart Weddings ?

Decorating By DeKoekjesfee Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 5:14pm by NoahLili

DeKoekjesfee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeKoekjesfee Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #1 of 13

what do you think about this book ? Is it worth buying ?
Are the descriptions good ?
How many cakes are in it ?

Thank you !

12 replies
chefjared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjared Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 13

I love this book, a little expensive, but great pictures and ideas. They really focus on the cake pictures and not really the how to do items. There are some but most are pretty basic.

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 13

Amazon.com lists about 120 cakes in the book.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 13

120 cakes is about right. There are more recipes and how to do's than I actually expected. I bought the book of off ebay for $20 & it was about $8 for shipping which was cheaper than anything I could find on Amazon. It also was brand new in the plastic wrapper. Anyway, I think it's worth it the pictures alone can really inspire. thumbs_up.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 13

I have it. It's pretty good. I joined The Good Cook book club and got it and a few others for a few bucks. It's worth it if you don't mind joining the club. You don't have to buy that many books in the future and they have lots of cookbooks, and are reasonably priced.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 13

Bumping this thread up for more reviews of this book - as I am considering purchase. Or if there is another wedding cake book that would be better, please tell.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #7 of 13

I got it from the Good Cook book club for free (I had bonus points) and I can't say how much I LOVE THIS BOOK. Love it!

It's the main one I like to pull out for ideas any more or when I sit down with brides, because it has such a wide variety from various bakers, from Ron Ben Israel and Sylvia Weinstock to some I haven't heard of, but all wonderful.

It also has some great recipes, and it has the first scratch marble cake recipe I've ever made that will turn out right! Plus a variation for mocha marble, a mocha spice cake, and a vanilla bean sponge cake that all sound divine.

Not a huge amount of technique stuff or instructions, but lots of inspirational and beautiful pictures (I don't think there are directions for how to make each one, so don't expect that) and some great recipes and general info.

I'd probably look for a deal on it, because I choked on the $60 price, but I was delighted to get it for the cost of S&H only...

PS--Go to The Good Cook website and search for this book, and you may probably be able to flip through it almost page by page in a llittle "preview" window that most books have on that website. I love that function.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks homecook for your review. I think I will check it out at the goodcook.com book club b/c that is a hefty price. thanks again.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 13

I saw the book at Barns & Noble and couldn't take my eyes out! but it's $60.00!!!
and I just won it last night at E-bay for $20.50 including shipping! can't wait to get it.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 13

I love this book. The pictures are really great. Although like others have mentioned, it is pretty short on instructions and techniques. I also have to say that I haven't cared for the recipes. The pictures, however, are outstanding!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 13

I love it! I use it for inspiration. There's not much in the way of "how to do this or that" in the book, but Wendy's creations are always inspirational. You might want to go to Barnes and Noble and just look at it before you purchase it. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 13

The same things(plus a tad more) can be found in the magazines(Martha Stewart Weddings magazines, that is). I like to buy the magazines...get a selection of new ones...make sure everyone else has what they need(usually after dinner)...make a fresh pot of coffee and steal away to a quiet place. It's a great source for anything and everything wedding...favors, flowers, cakes, dresses, decor....EVERYTHING.

but after a btb brought her book over and we were browsing through it, I thought "I've seen that before...and that...and that...hmmm" I got up and collected my mags...lo and behold! There they all were....favors, cakes...everything...plus a few extras in the mags that weren't in the book...besides ads...

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 13

I also had no intention of spending $60.00 + tax on this book. I finally got it on Ebay for $35.00, which included shipping. It is worth every penny! There's well over 100 cakes with instructions on many kinds of techniques. I would recommend going to your local bookstore to scope it out first, which I did before buying it on ebay. You may not have the same opinion as me once you see it, but I really think you'll be impressed with this book.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%