Piping Help!! (A Little Long)

Decorating By CelebrationCakery Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 1:12am by Petit-four

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #1 of 3

OK...I have been doing cakes for some time...I am a stay a home mom though and I am no professional. I done a few wedding cakes...and many other celebrations too...

Next month is a big wedding cake though and after looking at my most recent cake....I really need to work on my piping skills. Any and all hints and suggestions will be great. I know a lot of practice is most of it but what else....how the heck to you not shake while you are doing it....I am definately no surgeon....
LL

2 replies
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #2 of 3

I would like to know this answer too. I have a very hard time keeping all my scrolls consistent. I am planning on investing in the tilting swivel stand by wilton. I'm thinking that will help me at least a little, and then just practicing.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #3 of 3

Hi Christian!

That is an adorable cake! Love it. I think you have great piping skills... icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing I can contribute is that I learned to get the consistency "right" before trying different designs: e.g. cornelli lace: smooth and almost thin, ruffle, medium; roses, stiff.

I was surprised on how thin I started making my icings for some of the decorations, and I did get better results. I find if I try to force the butter-cream my hand does shake. Also, if you do ridge shells (like #18, 21,), if they are "wrinkled" instead of smooth, you are "pushing" to hard, or the icing is too stiff.

I have lots of practice to get in, so I don't know if this info. helps...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%