Questioning Whether I Handled This Correctly...

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 5:47pm by costumeczar

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 19

I had a potential customer to contact me on Tuesday (today is Thursday) wanting to sample some of my cakes for a 16th bd for her DD. No problem. With wedding season in full bloom right now, my availability for tastings is VERY limited. I typically schedule tastings on Saturday (DH works out of town Monday-Friday, so Saturdays work well...he can keep an eye on the kids.) So, I give her a few days/times that I can potentially meet with her and her DD. No good. None of the days will work for her. She asks for other options on Wednesday afternoons. Like I said, my schedule is packed right now. She can't meet during the day. How about later that afternoon? We have church. I am not going to compromise church night. I offer up three other dates...none work for her. She contacted me again today via e-mail. I suggest the ONLY two Saturdays that I have available for the next several months. I haven't heard anything back.

I always try to bend over backwards for my customers to schedule a convenient time around their jobs, kids, etc. However, I don't know what else to do right now...I have weddings booked out the ying-yang in addition to "regular" cake orders.

Did I handle this wrong?

Amy

18 replies
yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 19

Absolutley not! You gave her plenty of options and if she couldn't compromise her schedule, what makes her think you should be the one to compromise yours. It sounds to me like your plenty busy as it is, so if she doesn't order from you , no big loss. I would however email her and apologize that your schedules clashed and to please keep you in mind for her future cake needs. Always leave off on a positive note! icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 19

i do think you handled it right. you offered her many options, unfortunately , she couldn,t come when you could see her. you state that you are very busy, you know your schedule, and you know you have to have time for church and family. we all should have that in our schedule. if she wants to compromise , then she will get back with you.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 19

Obviously you're a very accomplished cake artist as well as a busy mom. As a mother of three I understand. The best you can do is offer the days that are available to fit your schedule. We all have to prioritize our lives and if she wants one of your fabulous cakes then she will prioritize her schedule.

Happy caking!!!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 19

I think you handled it just fine. You gave her so many different options and unfortunately if she can't find time to meet with you than she can find someone else. After all you are a business just like a doctor,bank or whatever and people have to work around their schedules right? Like you said you are busy. I only do tastings for weddings so if you are making exceptions for her for a birthday cake I applaud you. Like I said I feel you handled it just fine. thumbs_up.gif
Faye

cakesbyamym Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks so much everyone.

I have rarely turned customers away...I always put myself out to accommodate last-minute orders whenever possible. Like someone else mentioned, I only do tastings for wedding cakes. However, this is a cake for 75, so again, I wanted to show a little extra effort for her.

Thanks again for the support!!!!

icon_smile.gif

Amy

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 19

I agree with everyone one else you did what you could!

tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 19

If she is being this difficult just to schedule a tasting, how difficult do you think she's going to be with picking a design, making sure the colors are just the absolute right shade, the design is perfect.....sounds like a PITA in the making!

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 19

You were absolutely right. Sounds like nothing would please this woman. tjgett is right a huge PITA in the making!!

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 19

Hey--I just took a look at your photos--and this mom should be bending her schedule around you. You Rock!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 19

Sometimes it's just not meant to be, you know?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 19

I think you went more than the extra mile.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 19

I don't think she was being difficult, she is busy just like the rest of us, the two of them just couldn't get the same time available. I think you handled it just fine. Ah, to be that busy with orders! Lucky you!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 19

yes,you handled it fine. It's never a bad thing for someone to walk away thinking, "Wow, she is booked up solid!" or "Boy, you have to get in early to get time with her, she is in real high demand."

As Martha would say, "It's a good thing!"

cakesbyamym Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #15 of 19

*Update to my original post*

I just received an e-mail request to take one of the previously stated date options for a tasting if it was still available. I happily worked her into my schedule where I had an opening.

I don't know if I've mentioned this since actually DOING it, but I quit my "other" FT job with the school system the week of Valentine's to pursue my bakery FT. I am making a point to schedule my orders around my children's school activities, church, doctor's appointments, etc. I'll bend my schedule when absolutely necessary, but I won't put anyone before my family and church obligations. That's two areas I won't bend on.

Anyway, just wanted to update you on the little saga going on tonight. LOL.

Thanks for letting me vent....and most importantly, thanks for the kind words and support! I knew that my CC buddies would understand.

God bless,
Amy

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:09am
post #16 of 19

WOO HOO! She wants you and is willing to bend for ya! icon_wink.gif It's wonderful that you have priorities and don't let anything get in the way of them. I'm the same way. Family first! thumbs_up.gif

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:34am
post #17 of 19

I think you handled this great. I think there are a lot of us in the same situation. I am a stay at home mom of 3 kids. But I have 2 toddlers who in no way would be quiet and patient while I met with a client. I only do consultations on Sunday afternoons. But I've been getting so many request for consultations that I've had to start adding in ones during the week. I've had 7 consultations this week and have 5 scheduled next week. Can't believe it! I always tell them what I have and like 99% of the time they can work with it. I've only had a handful want to meet during the day and I just explain that I can't. They all seem to understand.

Stick to what you can and can't do. The moment you start to give in to every little thing, it the moment they will walk all over you and take advantage. And that's something you really don't want.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:04pm
post #18 of 19

Hi Amy..

I am so glad it all worked out..I just hate when we feel like we should have done more...it is just an awful feeling when we are second guessing ourselves even when we are being our kind selves...we still wish we could be kinder sometimes...but as a stay at home mom I completely understand too.

I'll pray that the season goes smoothly for you and anyone else that is feeling bogged down too...I do only very few cakes and I have an event (that I am responsible for) at my daughter's school that I only just learned of and it is scheduled for the day before a five teired wedding cake...so I know what you mean....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:47pm
post #19 of 19

Sometimes I run into this, where someone will just not be able to make it to a scheduled tasting day, because of being from out of town, having to work, whatever...One thing that I do is to offer them a sample box to pick up, or to have someone in town pick up (usually their parents) if they can't make it back into town. Then if they want to get together later they'll already have tasted the cake, and it usually ends up being easier for me to schedule something that works for both of us since I don't have to have samples ready, just the contracts and stuff to design the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%