Ummm... Should I Be Worried???

Business By Feefs Updated 11 Jan 2007 , 2:43am by Cakerer

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 6:46am
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

I also know of 2 bakeries in Oklahoma that bankrupted because they were caught reproducing character cakes for customers.
mpc

YIKES! i'm in oklahoma!...i rarely do character cakes anymore....geeze, i think i should quit altogether...that's awful close to home!

was it disney characters?

i do alot of hello kitty...i always thought they are way over in japan...to far away to get me...ha!

geeze i wanna know the rest of the dirt on this.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 7:29am
post #32 of 43

Little cake, I guess Fi decided she didn't like the fact that a few people said that she did a lot of cakes and I guess doubting her statement that she only got paid for 2 cakes!

I find that hard to believe also..I mean...why go through the trouble/expense in having a web site with a price list, and order form and flavors and only having gotten paid for 2.

but, I find that irregardless...it doesn't matter how many cakes sold or given away...the question was out there and we all have opinions.

and as always some threads develop limbs that branch out from the original question..

It's getting to the point that if we don't agree with one another we eighter get the thread locked or have to post only 'happy thoughts'..lol

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 10:21am
post #33 of 43

Thanks for that Risque... but I'm sorry to say that you are way off the mark. I didn't want anyone posting only "happy" posts, however, if I say that I have only been paid for 2 cakes that is the truth and I personally don't like the fact that people eluded that I was lying.

The reason I have a website is to try and perhaps start selling more cakes - it cost me nothing - the website is free - and I designed all the layout, my husband wrote any necessary code & the photos are unprofessionally done by myself & my husband.

The tone of some of the posts felt that they were personal attacks on my credibility... and lets face it - no one actually ever asked if I baked/decorated these cakes my my home -- all based on assumption I guess. I don't think anyone likes to have the honesty or intergrity challenged. I was asking a question about the email I received and then started getting slammed for having made/decorated cakes that are from "licensed" characters... and other off-topic items...

I guess it comes down to the fact that I don't know why people found it necessary to write nasty and unfounded comments -- astounding actually.

If I didn't have such a thick skin (over the many layers of flab) I'd probably ditch the whole CC website and say "pfft to you all".... HOWEVER... I simply thought that there was no need for this discussion on this topic needed to be continued...

and the point of this post you may ask???... simply to set the record straight...

-- Fi

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 11:10am
post #34 of 43

Well I dont understand why you are upset you asked if you should be worried and I dont see any one slamming you just giving their opinions of why you should be worried. If the person of the email has seen your website and decides she wants a quote for a character cake well that is why some cc'ers are telling you they are going to cause you problems not slamming you because you do them just trying to give you a heads up I think you are being a little over sensitive. When I read the posts I found that they were actually complimenting you meaning that you should have been paid since your work is so good. I definately did not get the imperession that they were saying you lied about getting paid for only 2. Just my opinion but when people ask for advice well they should be prepared for what they read.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 1:50pm
post #35 of 43

I just wanted to add my two cents. I noticed that no one really said that maybe it could be a competitor that wrote the email to scare you maybe? I didn't see an actual email address it came from but that could be it too. I just wouldn't respond if I were you.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 2:54pm
post #36 of 43

I am sorry that you took offense to my warnings about the copyrights and licenses. It was not intended to be hateful. I was only trying to warn you as to what could happen. These topics have been discussed numerous times on this website.

We all take a risk selling cakes of any kind when we are not licensed. We especially take a risk selling character cakes that are copyrighted. Those are just facts. These were the first things we were told when I took my very first Wilton class.

If I had gotten an email like you did, I would be very worried. That is JMO and obviously the opinion of several others on here. We were only trying to be helpful.

Diane

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 4:16pm
post #37 of 43

Well, I would take that as a compliment..back handed may it be.

Your website is well made and it looks more professional than someone with just a passing interest and hobby.

All I mentioned, was why go to all the trouble of doing that, posting flavor choices and price list if you were not selling your cakes?

Cos like someone else posted, there ARE a lot of cakes on your website and by golly...if you are giving them away...your talent is wasted or you were telling a little white lie!!

and you're right those are just opinions.

and as far as the character cakes thing is concerned....that poster was watching your back...even though it didn't feel that way. If you can't "SELL" them..why bother posthing them?

People see them on your website, or albums and they...will want them ..and like little kids can't understand why they can't have what they want when it looks like someone did.

As far as your email is concerned, don't sweat if. If you're not doing anything wrong....WHY even worry about it!???

if you are concerned about it, all you have to do is send the person back a general email with general information about you, and ask them to reply with a phone number so you can talk in further detail.

Believe me, if it was someone official out to "get" you..they already know everything they need to know to "GET" you. So don't sweat it.

I think that here in CC, we've made each other a little to paranoid, and no one should really worry if they are on the up and up and doing things the way they are supposed to be done!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:10pm
post #38 of 43

I'm sorry--this is not to attack or offend. But in your original post you are asking CC'ers if "you should be worried." That insinuates a few things (at least to bakers who are licensed or trying to get that way or know what they should be doing but don't) And I'm just pointing out the obvious here--If I'm wrong, then it's just MY opinion:
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH--Judging from original posting that:

1. You bake from home, and you do it for profit--without licensing. (If you didn't--why would you wonder if you should be "worried?")

2. You have a nice website to display your wares. (If you're only doing it for "artistry or expression" why not post on a photo display site like yahoo photos or whatever? If you just want people to see your cake pics---why do you need two phone numbers for people to contact you? Or an e-mail address? You could just have a "comments" link if you're looking for accolade on your cakes. People wouldn't need to directly "contact" you, would they?)

3. You got called on it in this forum--about licensing issues and about character cake selling without permits. This evidently got your defenses up and you got offended. (I'm only stating what you posted here.)

I personally didn't see anything "offensive" in any of the posts---I think the other cakers here were indeed watching out for you as a fellow caker--one to another. You asked--we answered.

But from what I see, now you're kind of in a catch 22. If you return communication with the lady--she's onto you (at least she's going to remember you in the future). And if you DON'T contact her or you "filter" the info you DO give her--she's STILL onto you. And--in the long run---if you do cakes for profit, or even if you GIVE them away--you're still baking for other people's consumption. Without being licensed.

And to those of us who've gone to the expense, trouble and daily grind of being licensed--THAT'S offensive!

I'm truly sorry for any inferred "tone" here or whatever. And also--you do very nice cake work. Thought I'd throw that in.

And now that I've not posted truly "happy" cake thoughts---I'll just sit back and wait for that beloved little lock symbol to show up. icon_cool.gif

--Knox--

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 7:14pm
post #39 of 43

Risque and knox....I'm right with you! If I didn't have strep throat, my son didn't have strep throat, my whiney dh wasn't on the verge of strep throat and my 2 wedding cakes due Saturday were finished... I would have typed all of that out...what you said...exactly!

My original post to the question wasn't to be rude or "unkind" but to be informative of my experiences. -SCC

wigglesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wigglesj Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 8:05pm
post #40 of 43

As for why this person included their title and such in the e-mail; I know at my job, my e-mail automatically has a signature attached that our coroporate office takes care of. May have been nothing more than writing from her work e-mail that has an attached signature.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:07am
post #41 of 43

I personally would have just wrote back and said who are you first?? I get at least two emails a week that are people from other states and canada, They ask about cakes of course! I just got one yesterday and they asked about a cake. I never heard back from them . I do have a website but it is vague about info.
I speak to my Department of Agriculture contact at least every three months. He knows that I do cakes and it is legal to bake and sell here. You just cannot do licensed venues or have a business card. Now I don't make enough for the IRS to come after me and that would be the other issue.
I truly believe this that they have bigger fish to fry. Not that it is OK to sell without a license because I am in thr process of dealing with wanting a commercial space. Just that we are small fish. I personally have never heard of anyone getting busted. I hear people say well so and so got in trouble for yada yada.
It is up to whether to pass or not. You can get info from them without saying Hi I do cakes.
You will be fine.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 2:19am
post #42 of 43

Thanks Risque and Knox for further explaining what I was trying to do. I am not licensed and I don't advertise that I do cakes. I have done them for friends and I have been paid for doing them. I don't think I would ever get in trouble as I don't even do one a month for pay but I do worry about it. Most of what I do is for my Red Hat parties and my Lions Club dinners and believe me, they don't pay. LOL

The character cakes that I do are only for my grandchildren and I don't sell any of them. I have read too many threads about that on here and I am paranoid about it.

Happy baking to everyone.........

Diane

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #43 of 43

Hi All - just wanted to add something to this- forgive me if someone already mentioned this. At work, all of my outgoing emails have an automatic 'business card/signature' that displays at the bottom. I work in the mortgage industry and my employer requires this....maybe her employer requires the same. Even when I use my business EM for personal stuff icon_redface.gif , I don't take time to remove the card...hope everything works out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%