Gumpaste Recipe

Baking By debster Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 8:43am by Shamitha

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 4:06am
post #1 of 12

I was wanting to try this , is there a recipe that's better than the other or do you buy it premade? Also are there any good books for the beginner? Thanks all................... icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:51am
post #2 of 12

I use Nic Lodge's gumpaste recipe. I have always had good results with it.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

I wish I knew of a good basic gumpaste book for beginners but I don't really. If you are interested in doing gumpaste flowers I really like Nicholas Lodge's booklet called "A Potpourri Of Flowers."

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:22am
post #3 of 12

Thanks so much!!

KCotten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCotten Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 12

Does anybody know where they sell the Tylose at (or is online the only place to get it)?

Kim

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 12

Wow! I will try it also.
I got great!great!! great!!!recipe of MMF here when I was taking Wilton class III. And now I have registered for gumpaste class and I got this recipe. I willl try it for sure.

Thanks Shirley!
Nitu

KCotten Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 12

Does anybody know where they sell the Tylose at (or is online the only place to get it)?

Kim

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 12

On the back of the Wilton glucose container, it has a recipe there also. I have to try it because it would be alot cheaper than the premade stuff.

deb

KCotten Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks! I will try that one!

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks deb, I was wondering about "Tylose" too.
And this is just my start to do something with gumpaste and I will go for cheaper stuff, whatever you think. icon_wink.gificon_sad.gificon_smile.gif

Thanks
Nitu

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 12

Hi. I make my own gumpaste that doesnt ask for tylose. Let me know if you want the recipe

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 12

I just bought myself a can of Gum-tex and was trying to figure out howmuch it would cost to make a pound of my own gum-paste. Well even using full price for the gumtex and glucose the cost of a tablespoon comes to a little less than 50 cent (only need a tablespoon of each I belived) and adding the cost of a pound of powdered sugar (figuring high at 75 cents a pound), we are talking less than $2 per pound of gumpaste instead of the $7.99 the premade Wilton package costs. Now I have to make a batch and see if the quality of homemade matches the store bought. Even it it only comes close in quality, would be a great savings!

deb

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:43am
post #12 of 12

Hi.I make my own gumpaste. Here's how:
900g icing sugar ,8tbs gelatine powder ,1/2 cup cold water , 4tbs glucose syrup.
1)Put the cold water into a small pan and sprinkle the gelatine over to form what looks like a sponge.
2)Put this pan over a pan of hot water and stir till smooth. Add the glucose syrup. Stir.
3)Remove from heat and cool for 1 minute.
4)Work syrup quickly into icing sugar, stirring with a wooden spoon.
5)Add extra icing sugar to form a ball.
6)Wrap in ziploc bag and keep 24 hours before using.

I hope this is helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%