How Do I Use High Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By andpotts Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm by kwdonlon

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:29am
post #1 of 7

I'm going to start making my own buttercream and I've seen it mentioned that Hi ratio shortening is the way to go for the smoothest and best tasting not too greasy frosting, cool I found it for a decent price, but I also saw it mentioned you need to measure it differently than Crisco or the like. Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks!
Just in case anyone else is looking for non bulk quantities of it, this is where I got it and most of my baking stuff, they are great!

http://www.countrykitchensa.com

6 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:13am
post #2 of 7

Hmmm...don't know about measuring it differently... I was told to use 1/3 cup less hi ratio than regular shortening, is that what you mean? I measure it the same. Right now I'm using my pampered chef measure, but I have a scale on the way! icon_biggrin.gif Ok, it's early...lol

HTH,
Pat

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:43am
post #3 of 7

I use hi-ratio all the time and measure it the same as I would any other shortening. I've been baking for 20 yrs and never heard of using less.
I'll double check w/ my DFIL who was in the baking business for 60yrs until he sold the bakery 2 yrs ago. icon_cry.gif
It was a sad day!

Danielle

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 7

I use the same amount as reg shortening as well.

here is video of me making a batch of mine:

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:15am
post #5 of 7

Thanks ladies hat's what I was wondering. I'll start with the same amount and decrease if I need to, everyone here is so helpful!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 9:31am
post #6 of 7

This might be another area where personal preference rules. icon_smile.gif

When I made my first batch of b/c with hi-ratio using my old Crisco recipe - none of my family could choke it down, it was too cloying (but not greasy).

Sort of like chugging a glass of heavy cream when you were expecting whole milk... It wasn't bad, it was just "too rich".... too much of a good thing!

I now use cakemanOH's Brite White recipe, and his recommendation to substitute 2/3 cup of hi-ratio for 1 cup of Crisco (when using Crisco recipes) - or 1 cup of hi-ratio per 7 cups of powdered sugar.

However, there are a lot of b/c recipes that are specifically written for hi-ratio.

Also, there's really no taste difference when using hi-ratio (it's just as bland as Crisco); the difference is in the mouth feel and the performance.

Hi-ratio b/c's are able to absorb more liquid than Crisco, without breaking down. In addition, because hi-ratio is like Crisco on steroids (more emulsifiers, less water) it is possible to use less and obtain a better performing b/c. And the mouth feel is different than Crisco.

An old everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio thread:
(Has members opinions on hi-ratio, where to buy and recipes.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

HTH

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 7

Can you use hi ratio in RBC? I assume you would cut down on the amount of hi ratio?

I love RBC, but like BC it seems so greasy.

Kim
who-used-to-only-use-RI

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%