I Can't Figure Out Pricing...

Business By KadenandKorensMommy Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm by Doug

KadenandKorensMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KadenandKorensMommy Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, so I'm new at "selling" my cakes, so I tend to undercharge or so I've been told. I did one of those cakes with the pregnant belly on the top, and my SIL's friend saw it and now wants me to make a pregnant belly cake for her, but I don't know how much to charge? I know a lot of people to it by the slice, but that seems like I would get too much money..I recently did a cake for my SIL and only charged $20 because she's family, but I was told later they could have gotten a cake cheaper at the groccery store so I don't want to overcharge..So I'm wondering what would you guys charge for one of those pregnant belly cakes..I've added a pic of my original cake (I hope! lol) to show you what the cake will most likely look like, just different colors..They want the same cake only the cake itself and the fondant dress to be a different color..Ok, I'm done rambling.
LL

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:07am
post #2 of 3

first what you need to do is figure out how much it costs you to make a cake. I use one recipe for cake and one for buttercream, then add in the board and box and any extras like fondant. Thats is my base cost, just multiply number of recipes you use and add in the rest. That gives you the cost, then it is said to add an hourly wage or multiply by 3. Depending on the market you may or maynot be able to do that. But do add something for your time and effort. Could they go to the grocery store and get a cake, sure i tell people its right down the road. Its hard to tell size from the picture but that looks to be at least a $75 cake for me. Yes you can get a cake cheaper, but i know the grocery store isn't doing that kind of cake.

BTW: the last time i look the local grocery store has gone up to nearly $25 for a 1/4 sheet filled.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%