Trailer "shop" In Texas

Business By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 1:30pm by SuHwa

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 4

How would I go about finding out if I cold use a mobile home or even a fancied up shed for my bakery? In the future, I want to open my own was wondering. There is a lady here who uses a shed that has had a floor put in, counters, the whole nine yards and she sells sno cones, not the same as cakes. Does anyone know if this would work?

3 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 4

I have often wondered the same thing. You see those people at the county fair selling everything out of a dirty does that happen? Some of them are cooking the food, some aren't. Does anybody have an answer?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 4

Since different States, even different Counties within a state have different rules, I would suggest you contact your local health department and see what the rules are for your home based business......

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 4

You need to contact your local health inspector. One thing I've found out about Texas is that there are state rules and there are county/city rules. I'm in a rural location, and not in a county of one of the big cities. When I called our local department and told them my plans of a shop that was bake to order only with no real visitors except for the occasional sampling, they said they would regulate me as a mobile kitchen instead of a "true" bakery. I still have to have the separate kitchen and the whole nine yards of a triple compartment sink, the fancy grease trap, separate hand wash sink, and to make sure any counters were seamless. The upside is that I don't have to have professional baking or storage equipment. The regulations for those who live in cities is much tougher though. In fact I think you can google for the rules for the Dallas area and they are very tough. So, I'll repeat myself... you really need you contact your local health inspector. Good Luck. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%