Wheat Field Cake??

Decorating By busymom9501 Updated 8 Jan 2007 , 8:12pm by ctorno

busymom9501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9501 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 8

So....my best friend wants me to make a cake for her son's 4th b-day. He's REAlLY into John Deere. She saw a cake where it looked like a field being plowed. (it was a sheet cake with a toy tractor was placed on the field.) It was a really cute idea but the rows looked like thick strips of orange frosting with green dots on them....it wasn't really "pretty" ha. Does anyone have any good ideas for making a "field" cake?

I was thinking of sectioning off a corner of the cake and putting crushed graham crackers or oreos to make dirt, put up a little fence and stick a toy cow in there. Would that taste good???

I was ALSO thinking of using those new coconut toasted marshmallows and using them as little hay bales.

I just don't have a cute idea to make the wheat work! ha.

I really hope I didn't ramble too mauch just now! You all have AMAZING ideas so I KNOW someone will come through for me!! ha.

Thanks!!!!!

7 replies
Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 8

Could you use brown on brown for the field and just pipe rows with a tip 12 and then maybe blend it in a litte bit with the angled spatula. The cow corner sounds cute and yummy. You could also look in the galleries for a farm cake. HTH

busymom9501 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 8

THANK YOU! That's a great idea! I could do a base frosting of Chocolate BC and then maybe pipe on larger stripes of bc and put some crused cookies on them to give it the "freshly plowed" look. I hope it turns out as cute as it is in my head! haha

Sweetpeeps Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 8

I'm sure you will do great! Welcome to CC!

Sweetpeeps Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 8

I'm sure you will do great! Welcome to CC!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 8

might make you go crazy but what about piping with royal icing on some wax paper some little pieces of wheat?? I would just do like a two inch line of royal icing maybe sprinkle a tiny bit of brown sugar at the tip to give the effect of some fuzzy stuff on the wheat? Then once they're dry just stand them up in the icing on the cake ....might make you go nuts putting them all in there.....(like one of those cactus cakes)....but the effect I think would be really cool..like an actual three dimension wheat field......I would just do a portion of the cake......maybe just a corner or something.

busymom9501 Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 8

That's a great idea too!! I might just try that too! I'll let you know how it turns out!

ctorno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctorno Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 8

I did a john deere cake with a tractor in a field that was really simple (the field anyway) It may help. you could use a toy tractor and push it in to the cake a little to give the same effect. If you are interested just click on my photos..hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%