Need To Vent To Only Those That Would Understand......(Long)

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 7:58am by Curtsmin24

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:04pm
post #31 of 82

I swear, every time I read one of these stories, it reminds me of the scam wherein someone asks a cashier for change for a twenty, then wants it in XXX bills, then "No, can you change these bills" and on and on until the cashier is so confused that she ends up giving out the change, giving the original twenty back, and the scammer walks out with an extra twenty in change...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:45pm
post #32 of 82

I'd tell her if she finds me offensive we'd both be better off if she found another decorator. I bet her attitude would change in a hurry. No way in [email protected]@ would I do that cake for $100. At this late date and for that amount of money she'd get what I felt like doing.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:30pm
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

I swear, every time I read one of these stories, it reminds me of the scam wherein someone asks a cashier for change for a twenty, then wants it in XXX bills, then "No, can you change these bills" and on and on until the cashier is so confused that she ends up giving out the change, giving the original twenty back, and the scammer walks out with an extra twenty in change...

That is exactly right! I've never heard of that scam before, but you sure nailed that one! icon_lol.gif

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:03pm
post #34 of 82

Ok this is her latest idea. It looks easy enough but I know it can't be and I have no idea how to do it. I posted in the "how to" forum for help.
LL

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm
post #35 of 82

That's really pretty, I'd like to know how to do that as well. It looks like a flat or ribbon tip and you turn the cake as you squeeze out the frosting. You should still charge more than 100 though!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:06am
post #36 of 82

That is gorgeous, but it's not 'easy'. I'd seriously tell her she is barking up the wrong tree! Good luck with this... I feel your pain!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:21am
post #37 of 82

At this late date, the relationship has to be more like parent to toddler than baker to client--clarify, simplify, commit, & complete on your terms, not the toddler's.

Clarify--how many servings does she want (based on what YOU call a serving, not what she THINKS is a serving), how much do you charge for that many servings in a basic buttercream design, do these 2 things add up and make sense or are they completely out of sinc ?

Simplify--it's way too late to start "thinking" about a design--that window
closed weeks, if not months, ago. You need to tell her what you can,and will, do based on the # of servings & the $s. For $100, it doesn't include either of the recent designs. Throwing those 2 cakes into the mix is akin to the toddler who was offered a popsicle as a reward for having put on his socks and then asks for 5 popsicles and then ups the ante again by wanting 10 popsicles--all for the same event icon_cool.gif

Commit--she needs to understand the above and commit (as do you) NOW, with the understanding that there will be no further changes or you won't be doing the cake under any circumstances. This is the "Johnny, if you don't clean up your toys now, there will be no story at bedtime." time and you need to stick to it if she "doesn't clean up her toys"!

You hold all of the cards here and she needs to understand that. A "No"
from you goes! Her next stop will probably need to be Wal-Mart or Costco and they may not even do it on such short notice--and she won't get horizontal pleats or white-on-white leaves & flowers from there for ANY amount of $.

This needs to be her worry, not yours--her emergency should not become your CRISIS!!!!

HTH
Rae

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:49am
post #38 of 82

Amen Rae!!! I had my sister tell a couple I would do their wedding cake for $100 or $200 for 250 people. I asked her where she came up with that price and complained to my mother about it. I broke it down price wise and I broke it down good. My mom cussed her out and told her she had no right to tell them I would do their cakes for a lot less than half of what it was worth. A couple weeks later she asked me for a 9" two layer round with pineapple filling and basketweave around with calla lillies on top. I told her I was only going to charge her $35 because she's my sister and I felt like being nice. Bi*** had the nerve to say " you ain't professional, what you think your that good!! And you don't even have a license and your not legal." Unfortunately I had already made the cake and hubby is sick of cake (cuz she wouldn't have gotten crap) so I told her she wouldn't get the cake if she didn't pay the price. She came to pick it up without the cash and mom was with her. I cussed at her and kicked her out of my house then I called my mother and told her that i'm not a sucker and if she didn't pay me for my cake I would go to their house (I have a key) and take two pairs of her $60 baby phat shoes and call it even. Mom called me the next day to come pick up the $$$$ I learned my lesson. I don't care what it is, she is not getting anything from me. I refuse to do her any favors. Guess she's gonna have to get off work early so she can pick up my nephew from daycare. icon_lol.gif THAT'S mean but she has taken advantage of me toooo many times. My hubby yelled at her when she made her comments. His exact words were " IF SHE AIN'T THAT GOOD WHY ARE YOU COMING TO HER FOR A CAKE THEN ?SHE MUST BE THAT GOOD. GO TO WALMART THEN!!" That's why I love him. To add insult to injury..........I found out that the cake was a test cake for the couple to sample my filling and she told them I charge too much and she said she made the cake!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't spoken to her since. Waiting to calm down. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:28am
post #39 of 82

Ugh!!!

Wilton makes a cake comb that will do a design very similar to that. The sides of the cake that was sent for the final design (I'd say) you can purchase from JoAnn's or Michaels. I'd call it done and just leave it be. Beggers can't be choosers here and I'd honestly say that do a 12, 8, 6 and call it DONE. It's MORE work to have to do the 2nd 8 than it would be to do one 12. And, for $100, you do NOT need to be adding work for yourself. It is a couple that really doesn't have much thought about the cake no matter how you slice it, so I'd just take the creative license with the two designs she's given you and run with it and not let her get the best of you. The SW design can arguably be done using piping and a leaf tip (look at the previous ACD cover, sort of like that only covering the whole cake with just the vining)..

For the future: When it comes to last minute designs (anything under a month), YOU tell them what they are going to get for their budget to fill the servings. Yes, sometimes this means laughing when they want 250 people fed cake for $300, but still... Last minute = YOU get the control! Or, as the saying goes "A lack of planning on YOUR part does not constitute an emergency on MY part"..

chrissysconfections Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:08pm
post #40 of 82

After trying all day to get this to work I was unable to replicate what the cake artist did on this cake.
I sent the bride to be the following email:

Quote:
Quote:

I am defeated. I have worked hours and hours trying to make that cake for you and I must admit defeat. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this cake was done. I believe I understand what was physically done but I don't know the important things like icing consistency, tip type and technique. I thought I knew what tip was used and was able to purchase one, I tried what I thought was done but it just didn't look right. I believe the trick is in the turning of the cake while you work but I cannot seem to get that same steady rotation. Ron and I even tried it together where he turned and I decorated but it's too inconsistent. I'm guessing whoever did that cake had a motorized turn table that kept a steady even speed. I also tried different decorating combs for the cake attempting to get as close to that design as possible but that didn't work either. They ended up looking like store bought cakes and no where near that elegant. My poor mother in law's cake has about 10 layers of icing on it but I give you my solemn word I tried my hardest to get this to work for you. I even went back to the BHG website and tried to get more information or some kind of directions. I did notice that some cakes have a "Make this cake" tab but this one did not. I wasn't even able to fine the cake artists name in the article or any links on that page. If you want to discuss the other cake you chose I am more then willing to work with you on that. If you would like to take this design to another decorator I would understand that as well. I truly tried my hardest to get the effect you wanted but I was not happy with what turned out and I wouldn't want to give you or anyone less then my best.

I know at least one decorator in the area IF she would take it on short notice who would attempt this cake and not care what it looked like. It would be "her version" which may look little to nothing like this. I would never do the orginal artist or the customer such an injustice.

I have spent so much time and effort on this one cake I truly feel "defeated" my family has suffered the last 2-3 days because I have been on the computer for hours trying to find designs to please this bride. I am sore and achy and still must finish my MIL's cake and do my holiday baking and preparing for Sunday. The second choice cake in the email was her soon to be DH's first choice upon seeing my work and the very first wedding cake I ever did. I don't know if she will want it or not but at this point I'm spent anyway.

Thank you all for your help, advice and shoulders. I have certainly learned a lesson here!!

{{{HUGS}}} to all icon_wink.gif

Thanks again everyone! thumbs_up.gif

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:40am
post #41 of 82

please make sure you let us know the outcome. i agree 100.00 wouldnt even cover the ingrediants. also i get the feeling she would complain after the fact and try to get her money back from you after the wedding

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:23am
post #42 of 82

You poor thing!!! That little gal has done nothing but trade on her DH's work relationship with yours. In other words...she's trying to get alot for a little. I think you have gone above and beyond to satisfy her...but I suspect that isn't possible...you deserve a medal my dear...and she needs her little butt kicked!!!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:40am
post #43 of 82

Good luck and please let us know the outcome. You deserve a break.... When Easter is over, treat yourself to a spa treatment or something just for you.

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:51am
post #44 of 82

chrissysconfections
The latest cake picture she gave you is similar to one done on Ace of Cakes. I t is made with fondant and even Duff had to call someone on how to do that technique. It is not a simple cake. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:15am
post #45 of 82

I just saw that episode of Ace of Cakes last night with a similar cake. It looks simple but apparently its a lot harder than it looks.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:26am
post #46 of 82

Hun, my heart just breaks for you because I've been in situations like this so many times. You try to please someone else and hurt yourself. She wants a $100 cake, give her a $100 cake. Maybe just a pearl embossed cake with some a few small flowers to match on the corners. PUH Lease, I am continuously dumbfounded by peoples inconsideration and willingness to take advantage of good people.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:01am
post #47 of 82

Please, please don't make yourself ill over this. It sounds like the stress is taking its toll on both you and your family. I agree with everyone else that you need to tell the bride exactly what $100 buys her. If she wants more cake, she needs to come up with more $$. I also saw the Ace of Cakes episode with the similar cake - didn't seem at all easy to do for some of the staff that do cakes day in and day out.

I had a similar situation not too long ago - MOG called me on 3/3/08 - son insisted she make the cake, she really didn't want to but relented. She decides she'd like the day to relax and get gussied up - wants me to finish decorating, deliver and set up cake. Wedding is on 3/16/08. I play along and tell her I'll need to work up the price. She calls/e-mails the morning of 3/4, needs a price, short on time, blah blah. I e-mail my price the afternoon of 3/4. Don't hear from her on 3/5. I leave her a message on 3/6 that I need to hear from her by the end of the day or I won't be able to do it. She doesn't call/e-mail. I knew my answer. She confirmed on 3/7/08 - said she'd love to "use" me but couldn't afford my price (operative word being "use"). Told DH she probably found some sucker to do it for $50! Wasn't me!!!

My time and (probably more importantly!) my sanity are worth more to me than someone either not planning properly or too cheap to know a good deal. Do the best you can for her for what she's willing to pay you for. No more, no less.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:04am
post #48 of 82

Just tell her to go elsewhere as you are not prepared to suffer so much stress over a last minute order for a cake that should have been ordered months ago & if she doesn't have the money, she shouldn't try & get a $700.00 cake for $100.00. There is no way I would make a cake for this person.

keconnell08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keconnell08 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:22am
post #49 of 82

Here is my 2 cents..... (with nothing but sisterly love)

Tell Spouses, family and frinds that referals are wonderful but to have the potential client contact the actual "artist" regarding pricing, time limits and design. icon_confused.gif They are not he ones who ultimately have the responsibility for any of it. They should not be quoting anything other that how great your work is!

Think of it as any other profession. If you act like a doormat, you will be treated as such.....

chrissysconfections Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:11pm
post #50 of 82

This is the email I got late last night
"Chrissy,

It's no problem. Please don't stress yourself out over it. I would be more than happy with the other cake that I sent you a picture of. I sort of feel partial to the little beaded look around the bottom. Didn't know if you would suggest scrollwork around the sides of the cake or some small flower buttons. Let me know what you think. How did you make out with playing with colors?

I look forward to continuing working with you, and wouldn't want anyone else to do such an important task for me but you. Thanks so much for your honesty. It's really appreciated."

I worked all darn day on getting that look that she wanted and then she has the nerve to ask me with I played around with different colors icon_mad.gif
Lets not forget that the design SHE picked was all ONE color!! She had mentioned in the past adding color but I thought that went out the window when she picked this new design....apparently I was wrong. She wants peach or a dusty rose color she said somewhere on the cake. I have suggested ribbon in the past but it's fallen on deaf ears. Furthmore, she doesn't understand my computer generate designs. I spend half a day on the computer making mock ups and she has to see actual cake to get it. So today I'm gonna spend my afternoon working on a 6" dummy and make it with 2 styles....one dots; one scrollwork and doing it in plain ivory and ivory and rose and see what she says. She already knows today is the deadline for a design so we'll see. She may be calling Price Chopper!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:49pm
post #51 of 82

PLEASE!! STOP NOW!

You are letting the bride make you crazy for a measly $100 dollars. Why in the world would you go thru all the additional time, money and frustration to make dummy cakes? If she can't "get it" with just a drawing then for heaven's sake, send her packing.

This bride is taking advantage of you and you are letting her! Please, I know you want her cake to be beautiful and have this be part of her special day, but enough is enough. Is all this stress and time away from your family on a holiday weekend worth $100 to you?

chrissysconfections Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:08pm
post #52 of 82

No it's certainly not worth it. My DH said we should send her an email saying "tips are greatly appreciated" once we get this finally nailed down but I told him I thought that was tacky.....if they give one fine but never ask.
I did do the dummy cake and send it off this morning since my MIL canceled on us so it wasn't too big a deal.....other then my time and patience of course.
I did give her a deadline of this afternoon and to choose one of the 4 designs on the dummy so we'll see what happens there. Hopefully nothing but good things as these designs are pretty basic...even though it won't make up for the time I've wasted already.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:10pm
post #53 of 82

Hi Chrissy,
This afternoon, if you decide to move forward with this customer, it might be a good time for her to drop off a cash payment in full if she has not done so already. This can be done when she returns your dummy cake and explains which design elements she would want on the cake.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:19pm
post #54 of 82

C'mon over here and let me slap you up, Chrissy hunny. I think I might be angry at you for letting this woman bully you around.

You had better be charging her for that damned dummy.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:31pm
post #55 of 82

Chrissy, please let this be the last day she gets any input on the cake! And I agree, get the money today too!

chrissysconfections Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:20am
post #56 of 82

First off I didn't give her the cake dummy, I sent her pictures of what I did. I've never met her so everything we do is vial email and telephone right now.
I sent her the email with the pics this morning strictly telling her I needed her decision by this afternoon. When I hadn't heard back from her by 5:30 I called her using the # she emailed me.....wrong number.....luckily I have caller ID so I was able to call her. Turns out she never even checked her email today because she's busy altering the dresses for the bridesmaid's herself. She looked at them while I was on the phone with her and pretty much knows what she wants, she just wanted to check with her man. She said she'd call back.....it's 8:30 and still no call. I'm now offically done. No more input period. I bought all the stuff I needed for this cake today and if I get stuck with it all I'm thinking of sending her a bill.....at least for the fillings and time I've spent. Hopefully it won't come to that though.
When talking to her she told me how stressed she is because her topper, untily candle and groom's pants haven't come in yet and she's doing all these alterations.....she actually said "this cake is one thing I just can't stress about now!" If she only knew what it was like to be me!!!

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #57 of 82

Your husband is such a guy!...Well at least he is supporting you, if it was my husband, becuase he knew him he would be like...oh sorry, just do it. If its not like your husband's boss or anything screw her. And you know what? Bail on her....who cares if it is 5 days before her wedding, maybe next time she will think twice on how she treats people that are doing her a favor. (doubt it tho, people like that thing the world revolves around them) If she begs you to do it, bump up the price to 300 dollars, now you have her by the cahones!!!! Trust me she wont find anyone to bake the cake, maybe safeway or Ralphs or albertsons...serves her right. Especially if she is not your friend and you have never met her. Email is great....send a an email and be like you make the choice....she already thought your previous email was rude...so show her what rude is!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I just can't stand people that do that, especially when someone is doing them a favor.

Wow, this is why I tell people the minute you start taking money for cakes, you put yourself in a position of stress and they have you by the you know what...now matter how cheap you are charging.

P.S. Cake is bad for the wrestling team, they need to be lean..they dont need cake anyways. icon_cool.gif

Good Luck, I hope you tell her to bake her own cake or something becuase I am almost on the verge of asking you for her email address so I can tell her off myself. icon_evil.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:09am
post #58 of 82

Hi there.
I did two dummy cakes in the ribbon style like the photo. it is SUPER easy!!!! Seriously!!! Get a good base of bc on the cake, take a large basketweave tip the 2B is perfect, fill a pastry bag, put the cake on a spinning tray, and away you go. Seriously, OMG easy!!! But here is the thing. Tell her that you will need to charge a wee bit more for either design because of the time commitment to either cake, that normally the designing gets worked into the cake WAY before hand, and now the price is $150 because of the extra "research" time into how best to execute the cakes. ALSO, because of the lack of direction, the cakes will be white on white.
If you have any questions about the ribbon cake, PM me. I'm up at nights with a one-year-old. HTH

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:03am
post #59 of 82

I'm with fondantfrenzy. Cancel the order and if she whines about it say it now costs $400 for the cake.

She has absolutely NO respect for you.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 7:56pm
post #60 of 82

I have been watching this and I really think that you are an angel Chrissy. I wish you the best of luck what ever way this turns out.
Sometimes it is hard to see the forest for the trees......
thumbs_up.gif
Lorene

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%