Best Fondant

Baking By ValMommytoDanny Updated 13 Jan 2007 , 7:43pm by ValMommytoDanny

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 6:06am
post #1 of 7

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me with your thoughts on either the best tasting fondant recipe or the best tasting bought kind? I have previously done BC but I would love to try fondant and heard how crappy it tastes.

What would be your vote for the best tasting variety? Bought or made?

Many Thanks for all of your help. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 6:13am
post #2 of 7

I can take it or leave it.

But, a lot of people don't like it. The fondant cakes always look so nice.

I have heard of Satin Fondant but don't really know what it is, maybe someone out there can enlighted me.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #3 of 7

Satin Ice is ok to work with, but for taste I like MMF.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 6:17am
post #4 of 7

firstly, welcome to Cake Central

lots of people love to make the Marshmellow fondant recipe on this site, i didn't like it for covering a whole cake.. but for decorations its all i use..

as for brought fondant, i love fondx brand fondant. it tastes great and the smell is devine but best of all it is fantastic to work with.

i have also heard that satin ice is a great brand..

kylie

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 6:32am
post #5 of 7

I'm with Kylie, the vanilla or white Fondx smells so good and actually doesn't taste bad either. And of all the brands this is the one I love to work with, it goes on so smoothly, no cracking or elephant skin wrinkling.

Satin Ice Black smells wonderful, not really licorise but something good.

Chocolate Pettinice tastes like Tootsie Roll candy to me.

I still prefer the taste and texture of Italian meringue buttercream, but of the fondants I have used and tasted, those are my choices. I do love the looks of a fondant covered cake and finally decided I just had to consider it a different type of covering and go for the one I disliked the taste of the least.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I still prefer the taste and texture of Italian meringue buttercream, but of the fondants I have used and tasted, those are my choices. I do love the looks of a fondant covered cake and finally decided I just had to consider it a different type of covering and go for the one I disliked the taste of the least.

I feel the same way, Shirley (though I'm a swiss meringue gal myself icon_wink.gif ) I think the mmf tastes pretty good and Satin-ice is the only manufactured brand I've actually worked with- it's easy to work and tastes okay. My main issue with fondant is the texture, not taste.....although from what I hear if I ever tried Wilton fondant I might have a taste issue too icon_biggrin.gif . It just seems weird to have something so chewy on a cake. I'm all for combining textures in food, but that is a pairing I just can't stomach. It does look beautiful though, and so versatile!

Amber

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks very much for all of the replies. icon_smile.gif
I will have to try the IMBC recipe. It sounds really good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%