How The Heck Do You Make Poured Fondant???

Decorating By gacandle Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm by kwdonlon

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 10

i was just looking at all the great easter cakes posted and i saw a small egg cake that stated she had used poured fondant. i make my own fondant all the time but what is poured fondant do you just heat it up until it becomes liquid or do you use a different recipe???? I LOVED the look of this cake please can someone help me ???!!!???!!???

9 replies
azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 10

poured fondant is a combination of powder sugar, water, corn syrup and flavoring. you heat it up and pour it on your cake. i love using this medium especailly for peti fours and small cakes i used it on some flower cakes i did for a little girls bday. i got the recipe from wilton's website, but i'm sure there is one here. icon_wink.gif

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 10

You can also do the following....
Put some ready made fondant in a bowl and cover in hot water, about 10-15 mins and it will have softened. Pour off water and add 150ml sugar syrup, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon liquid glucose. Heat in microwave for 3 mins (med power), stir then heat for another minute. This was the Peggy Porschen method that works well for me - can use it for dipping cupcakes too.
Jenny

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 10

If you go to the recipe section of this site and type Pour Fondant in the keyword box you'll get a recipe and another one if you type in Poured Fondant. I haven't tried either yet but it's at least a start for you.

AmieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieB Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:51am
post #5 of 10

Here is a great recipe. I couldn't find any video that shows how to do it. I would assume you could probably dip cake in it too. Or slowly pour over for a different look.

Poured Fondant Icing dries to a shiny. smooth finish on your cake.

Yield
4 cups, enough to cover a 10" x 4" high cake

Ingredients
6 cups sifted confectionersâ (powdered) sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon almond extract
icing colors (optional)

Directions
Combine water and corn syrup. Place in saucepan with confectionersâ sugar. Stir until mixed thoroughly. Continue to stir over low heat until heated to 92°F. The mixture should be thin enough to be poured on the cake, but thick enough so it will not run off the cake. Stir in almond extract and add icing colors.

Ice cake smoothly with crusting buttercream icing. Let cake sit for 15 minutes until icing crusts, or cover with apricot glaze. Place cake on cooling rack with a cookie sheet beneath the cooling rack to catch the excess poured fondant. Pour the fondant over the iced cake, flowing from the center of the iced cake and moving out in a circular motion. The sides can be touched up with a spatula.

Storage
Use immediately. The remaining fondant can be stored in a tightly covered container, in the refrigerator for weeks. Reheat the poured fondant icing to use again.

Additional Information
Prior to applying fondant, the cake must be covered in apricot glaze and/or buttercream icing to seal in freshness and moisture.

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 10

thanks for all the information sorry it took so long to reply but i can't wait to try this out!!!! i love this site and the people here you can find out anything!!!!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 10

i love the look of poured fondant on cupcakes. that recipe seems simple enough i just might give it a try. thanks!

douchka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
douchka Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 10

Hi everybody.I live in france and we don't have corn syrup.can we replace it with another kind of syrup like maple syrup for example?or anything else?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by murf

You can also do the following....
Put some ready made fondant in a bowl and cover in hot water, about 10-15 mins and it will have softened. Pour off water and add 150ml sugar syrup, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon liquid glucose. Heat in microwave for 3 mins (med power), stir then heat for another minute. This was the Peggy Porschen method that works well for me - can use it for dipping cupcakes too.
Jenny

Hi Jenny, Would the above "ready made fondant" amount be 1 pound, 2 pounds, or ???? Sounds easy enough and I would like to give this method for poured fondant a try. Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 10

douchka,

Hope this helps:

Food Lover's Companion: golden syrup
Particularly popular in England (where it's also known as light treacle), this liquid sweetener has the consistency of corn syrup and a clear golden color. It's made from evaporated sugar cane juice and has a rich, toasty flavor unmatched by any other sweetener. Golden syrup, the most readily available brand being Lyle's, can be found in some supermarkets and many gourmet markets. It can be used as a substitute for corn syrup in cooking and baking, and for everything from pancake syrup to ice cream topping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%