Modelling Winnie And Rabbit With Cmc And Fondant?

Decorating By oilili Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 10:46am by bashini

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 10

Right, I just bought my first pack of CMC because I heard it is better to do modelling with it - apparently it is easier.

I've done a search in the forum and I have also read that if you add CMC to fondant it dries quicker.

Having had a recent disaster with a rolled fondant tinted in royal blue that dried too quickly I am now wondering if I should really use CMC in fondant to do a Winnie character and a rabitt for an Easter cake... ?

I am scared of not modelling fast enough before it goes dry. I've seen several video tutorials in which people roll lots of different sized balls when they are modelling and they never place these balls in an airtight container whilst doing it, they are always left on the side.

I just add some CMC to my ready white fondant? Or do I need to follow a gumpaste recipe??? icon_eek.gif

How long can you store fondant with CMC and how?

9 replies
oilili Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone out there uses CMC???

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 10

I believe CMC is the same as tylose powder? Adding CMC to fondant will make it dry much more quickly than fondant alone, so you have to work more quickly. Effectively, it makes fondant become gumpaste. (I use it in place of gumpaste - IMO it dries harder).

The pieces not in use can be put under plastic wrap or an upturned glass to keep air out while you work. To store leftover fondant mixed with CMC, you should double wrap in plastic wrap and store in a ziptop bag.

minkiemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minkiemoo Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 10

I use fondant with cmc powder added for all my figures. It dries beautifully. You only need to a a small amount to the fondant.

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:27am
post #5 of 10

I add 1/2 teaspoon of CMC to 250g of fondant. Knead well to mix in the powder, cut into several small pieces and wrap in clingfilm, then store in a ziplock bag and take pieces out as needed.

Kelly

oilili Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:30am
post #6 of 10

Thank you so much for the answers!

Just tell me one more thing: what's the advantage of adding CMC to fondant to do modelling figures? icon_eek.gif

It becomes more stretchy?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:04am
post #7 of 10

Hi there, I agree with kelly75. Once I wrap it in cling film and stored it properly, I leave it aside and use it the next day. When I make modelling paste, I make 500g - 1kg at one time, then store as before and use when ever I want it.

When you want to make a model use a little piece at a time, leaving the rest in a bag.

oilili Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:27am
post #8 of 10

Thanks bashini.

I will be doing the paste tonight to model rabbit + carrots tomorrow (the cake is for Sunday) and then, I will re-use it to make a Winnie character in 15 days time.

I presume I can keep the paste up to 3 weeks? or longer?

Aren't you up early?? icon_biggrin.gif

oilili Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:28am
post #9 of 10

sorry, I just realized you are in Surrey not in the US!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:46am
post #10 of 10

That's ok. You can keep the modelling paste for a VERY LONG time.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%