3D Triceratops Dinosaur

Decorating By AngelPhish Updated 8 Jan 2007 , 12:56am by nefgaby

AngelPhish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelPhish Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:57am
post #1 of 4

I need to make a triceratops (three horned) dinosaur cake for my daughter's 5th Birthday. I have some ideas as to how to make the body and eyes, but the "fan" part on top of his head I am clueless on. not to mention the "beak'like" mouth. She is not into the fondant other wise it would be easier.
Any ideas will be great.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
CrystalRain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalRain Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 4

I'm also doing a 3D Triceratops (and T-rex) for my son's birthday. I think you're going to have to go with sugarpaste. The fan at the top of the Triceratops head could be done with the petal tip (make a ruffle) if you used buttercream, but the beak will be difficult if not impossible to pull off if it's done in buttercream. Unless.... you build up a long muzzle/snout area and wait until it solidifies and then use a knife to cut it in half and shape it, forming the beak??

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 4

Maybe candy melts? That's going to weigh more though. I'd probably use the MMF for the look and then she doesn't have to eat that part if she doesn't want to.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 12:56am
post #4 of 4

Wow, would love to see the finished cake, make sure to post pics!! I would also use gumpaste for the "fan" on the head, you can roll it out a little thin and once dry it should stay put and it is not really heavy. Now the "beak" I would use fondant and stick it with toothpicks or bamboo skewers, or maybe rice kripie treats, I haven't used them but I've heard they work really good and it's not heavy. HTH and good luck to both of you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%