Fill Cupcakes?

Decorating By ShirleyW Updated 7 Jan 2007 , 9:06pm by ShirleyW

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 10

I think I am going to be doing a cupcake tree wedding cake in May and was wondering about filling the cupcakes with a filling. They will be displayed in silver cupcake papers and I wondered if I could fill the cupcake with a Bismarck filler, preferably without taking the cupcakes out of the paper cups. Can it be done? I am thinking something like assorted flavored Bavarian cream fillings. Could you poke the Bismarck filler into the top of the cupcake before icing, or maybe through one side where it extends above the top of the cupcake paper?

9 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 10

I use tip 8 to fill cupcakes. Just poke it in through the top and squeeze a little bit. I poke 3 times per cupcake rather than risk an explosion by trying to get it all in one poke. Your decoration will cover the holes.

jenwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenwright Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 10

If your cupcakes will be decorated, I don't see why you can't fill them from the top; your decorations will cover any hole made. Mmm...Bavarian cream...

ShirleyW Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 10

Cool, thanks ladies. thumbs_up.gif I assumed it could be done but just wasn't sure. Having never done these I thought maybe the Bismarck filler might get clogged with baked cake and the filling wouldn't come through properly. Or worse yet, blow out the side somewhere. Making three holes sounds like a good way, that way the filling wouldn't be in just one bite.

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 10

Hi Shirley! I use a Wilton 230 (like an eclair filler) and use the three-hole-poke...it works like a charm without cupcake blowouts (the foil cups add some stability...and whether or not I'm dreaming, they also seem to improve the evenness of baking for me)....I've never had a clogging issue, even with thicker fillings like fudge. The holes left on the top are minimal and easily covered. Bavarian Creme cupcake filling sounds delicious, of course I think I have cupcakes running through my veins.

Please let us know how you make out.

Maureen

ShirleyW Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 10

Yay! Thank you pals. I think I have them talked into a cupcake tree, the cake is my gift and I can pretty much do what I want, but still want to try to go with something they will be happy with. I just ordered a cupcake tree wedding cake stand, so even if they don't go for it I will have it for another occasion. Just plain iced cupcakes sounded too dull to me but I wasn't sure how to go about filling them. I appreciate your help and suggestions, thanks.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 10

I made a cupcake tree for my neices birthday party yesterday and filled the cupcakes. I made lemon cupcakes filled with vanilla mousse. I used a number 5 tip and poke a few holes in each. I covered them with whip n ice afterwards. They are delicious. Good luck!

ShirleyW Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks Linda. I think I am going to do strawberry Bavarian and Kahlua Bavarian, should be light and tasty for a spring wedding.

sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 10

I second tip 5. My best friend did the cupcakes in my photos last weekend. We bought the Bismarck tips and they were a big pain. Tip 5 puts in way more filling. All my test batches with the Bismarck tips had little worms of filling wheras the tip 5 ones had a generous amount. Tip 5 was much easier on our hands, too! Don't worry about poking bigger holes than with the Bismarck because the icing will cover it.

ShirleyW Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 10

Got it, thanks. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%