Question About Wire On Cakes

Decorating By Alice1230 Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 12:43am by funbun

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

What kind of wire can I use on a cake? I want to put fondant water droplets on several pieces of wire to make a "splash." So I need to know what wire is strong enough to hold up fondant and also where can I buy/find this kind of wire? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 5

Florist wire. It comes in different weights. Need to cover with floral tape before you put it on the cake.
You can find it at Micheals.

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

Florist wire which comes in different sizes. You can find it in the craft stores and some places like WalMart. Be sure to also dip the end that will go into the cake into melted chocolate. It makes a much better presentation for those guests that will see it coming out of the cake and also prevents dirt or grease that may be on the wires from contaminating the cakes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 5

Some of the wire comes wrapped. That's what I use.

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:43am
post #5 of 5

I use floral wire but I put coffee stirrers (don't think that's a word) into the cake first and then put the wire into the stirrer. This way the metal does not touch the cake.

I like the idea of the chocolate to. Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%