Shopping Bag Cakes

Decorating By Mizuki Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 8:19pm by JanH

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 18

Is anyone willing to share the details of making a shopping bag cake? I've searched the articles, but I couldn't find any instruction.
Do you sculpt the cake and then cover it to fit (but then how do you get space at the top?), or do you make the fondant pieces and dry them before you attach them?
I would appreciate any help. Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doingicon_biggrin.gif
Thanks!!

17 replies
Mizuki Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:43am
post #2 of 18

Isn't there anyone who can help me with this? icon_cry.gif I'm planning on entering a cake in my hometown fair this fall (my first competition ever!).
I'm really excited about it, but lost as to where to start with the shopping bag.
I'd really appreciate any tips or advice!!
Thanks!

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:54am
post #3 of 18

There's instructions on the site. Look at the bottom of the home page. I've haven't made one yet, so I can't help with instructions. Hope you find it.

Mizuki Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks, but I didn't see any instructions on making shopping bags. I found purses and boxes...Did I miss it?

C-Lady Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 18

You're right, it is for handbags. I'm sorry I couldn't help you. I'm sure someone on CC will come through for you very soon. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 18

Maybe pick one of you fav,s in the gallery, and PM that person for help ? Just a thought !

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 18

I've made a couple shopping bags. After carving the cake, I attach fondant to the sides in two pieces, with the seams meeting on the sides of the bag. Leave an inch or so of fondant extending past the top edge of the cake and use pieces of foam sponge to hold the fondant up while it dries.

The easiest way I've found to apply the fondant is to roll it out on a vinyl mat so it sticks. Lift the whole mat up to the side of the cake and position the fondant. Then, peel the mat away. It's still pretty tricky.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 18

Let me see if I can help you.
Decide what size you are making.
If you are using real cake-bake four or five loaves( heavy batter such as a pound cake)- stack and ice between loaves-dowel rod-trim to have straight sides-I find using an electric knife works wonderfully. Styrofoam (squares cut in half) if this is a competition or a display piece.
Get a shopping bag-stand it on your table and study it for a few minutes looking at how the creases are and what you could dry the pieces of fondant over to make them- I am talking about the sides where the bag folds-a square pan, cereal box or some type of box.
The handles are u's turned upside down- these could be flat, braided, or twisted. and dried over a small mixing bowl or a large glass and attached with royal icing or sugar glue. If this is a display piece use hot glue to attach handles.
I hope this can get you going.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 18

SAVE

Mizuki Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks! That's a good start! I think I understand the sides. But, do I put the fondant on the front and back of the cake while it's upright? How does it not slip? I've had some bad experiences with having to put fondant on the sides (but not the top) on a cake..icon_redface.gif
Thanks for all your help!

C-Lady Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks ChefAngie, these instructions are a great starting point for me too! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 18

Yes, you put the fondant on while the bag is upright. Don't roll your fondant any thicker than 1/4" and it shouldn't slide. I've never had that problem and I've had EVERY problem! icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 18

It also helps if you add a little tylose powder to your fondant and it will make it a bit stiffer for you.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:51pm
post #14 of 18

weirkd - do use tylose powder in fondant you will be serving/eating/

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:51pm
post #15 of 18

I made little mini bags (like lunch bags) for my DD's class, the photos are in my gallery. I rolled the tops so that it looked like they were full of lunch and ready to take to school. HTH

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:52pm
post #16 of 18

weirkd - do use tylose powder in fondant you will be serving/eating/

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 18

I made little mini bags (like lunch bags) for my DD's class, the photos are in my gallery. I rolled the tops so that it looked like they were full of lunch and ready to take to school. HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:19pm
post #18 of 18

Please, no "save" posts per Jackie & Heath (and other members requests):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2822433-.html
(Jackie & Heath.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-295773-.html
(Members input.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-367983-.html
(Helpful info on recommended methods of info retrieval.)

Thanks for your cooperation. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%