18 Yr Old Cake Tomorrow?? Ideas??

Decorating By kdaze Updated 9 Jan 2007 , 6:41pm by KHalstead

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 16

Ok I could really use a few ideas. I am making a birthday cake for my bosses daughter tomorrow she is 18. The cake is in the oven now and its chocolate 8 inch round. That was the only request. She is not the flowery type more modern I guess? And I know they don't like fondant. Any ideas/pictures would be great. Thanks for the ideas.
Karrie icon_confused.gif

15 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 16

Has she chosen a college? You could do a quick FBCT of the college mascot.
Does she own an iPod? That would be a quick and easy design, make it look like it's playing "Happy Birthday" or something clever.
Shopping is always a popular theme with that age group! (and really, how can you go wrong with shopping??? LOL)
Good luck, can't wait to see a pic!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 16

How about the all popular chocolate wrap cake and fill the top with choc covered strawberries or choc curls.. they look just wonderful.

That would appeal to all ages..

Jane

kdaze Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 16

Very good ideas. I'm just undeceisive I guess. I do need to write happy birthday libby on the top of it?

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 16

how about bright colored polka dots and a bead border? just write on top and put the dots around the name and the sides. i've got a couple of pictures in my photos. it's easy and very popular with the college girls in the college town i'm in.

kdaze Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 16

I was thinking about something like that. I like the idea of swirls and dots. I have some mmf and I thought about putting a bow on top. How long do you think it'd take to dry? Maybe if I leave it under a light over night?

whitgent Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 16

i don't know. sometimes you think they are dry, but then start sagging after they have been on there for a few hours. i usually let mine dry for several days. but, you can always try!

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 16

I've found MMF will dry MUCH faster if you put it in the oven with just the light on. That has saved many a project for me. Turn the item over about halfway through though so it'll dry evenly on both sides. I've gotten the same degree of drying with the light in the oven as I have with leaving it out on a table for several days.

kdaze Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the hint. The bow is done and already firming up nicely. I'll put it in the oven and I think it will be fine. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Thanks again to all the CC members. I don't post much but I read a lot and I am learning so much. You are all bunch of kind, and talented people!

kdaze Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:41am
post #10 of 16

Ok the cake is done and the mom was happy when she picked it up icon_cool.gif Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll try and post a picture.
Karrie
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:47am
post #11 of 16

That is a really great cake. Just perfect for the age group it was made for. Are those Tappits letters on there?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 7:30am
post #12 of 16

beautiful bow!
and very cute design icon_smile.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:41am
post #13 of 16

are those molded letters? I have some new silicone letter molds but haven't had a chance to use them yet? How do you unmold letters anyway?

whitgent Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 12:37pm
post #14 of 16

perfect!

kdaze Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 16

Yes I think they are called tappits? They are hard plastic and you can use them with gum paste or fondant. You press them down firmly, slide them back and forth on the counter then snap them on the edge of the counter and they pop out. You don't need cornstarch or pdr sugar.
Thanks for all the kind comments.
They want another one now for Saturday for the party to feed 120 people... Yes 120!!! They would like some stars and they want it shaped like an 18. Do you think I could use a large round 12-16 and put a small 6 inch in the middle when I bake the rounds?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 16

I don't see why that wouldn't work....you may want to put the 6" inside and fill it with some rocks or something to keep it in place and to keep too much batter from running under it........that cake you made is gorgeous.........can't wait to see the 18 cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%