Duffs Preval Sprayer $5 Free Ship

Decorating By melysa Updated 6 Jan 2007 , 5:35pm by moydear77

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 46

You know the Preval Sprayer that Duff sometimes uses on Ace of Cakes to spray on Luster dust w/ vodka? I found a link on ebay to a seller who has 40 of these left @ $5.00 each plus free shipping (first class mail, mailed within 24 hours of payment) . Now I have heard that you can buy these at Home Depot for around the same price, but then you've got the gas and the trip to the store (I have little kids) plus tax. Honestly, how often do I go to HD for a small purchase anyway? So, if you have been wanting one and dont need it immediately, here is a link that may help you! I am going to give it a try icon_biggrin.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260018562041&rd=1&rd=1

45 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 46

You know, my hubby is a handyman... next time he's at Home Depot I'm sending a list with him -- Preval sprayer... high density roller... circular cut masonite boards... icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 46

bobwonderbuns icon_lol.gif so your husband must be bob? (and i take it that his buns must be wonderful icon_redface.gif ?). i thought you were a male poster all this time because of your forum name icon_lol.gif its funny how we make assumptions based on a simple thing.

yes, the foam roller is a GOOD thing too! i got mine at walmart for 3$ in the painting aisle.

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

bobwonderbuns icon_lol.gif so your husband must be bob? (and i take it that his buns must be wonderful icon_redface.gif ?). i thought you were a male poster all this time because of your forum name icon_lol.gif its funny how we make assumptions based on a simple thing.

yes, the foam roller is a GOOD thing too! i got mine at walmart for 3$ in the painting aisle.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! icon_lol.gif Nope, actually there are no "Bob's" in our life actually!! icon_smile.gif I'm the wife (and yes, I am a GIRL!!) and the hubby is a BOY (not named Bob.) My screen name came about out of sheer frustration one day when my name of choice was taken, along with every other name I could possibly think of!! icon_sad.gif Sooo, out of sheer frustration, I typed in "Bobwonderbuns" and shouted at the computer "I'll bet that one isn't taken!" Sure enough... icon_rolleyes.gif Now, how the name stuck I'll never know... icon_wink.gif

P.S. Ha ha ha ha ha ha -- hubby just walked in and I explained this thread to him and he said to tell y'all that "the wonderbuns are in the oven as we speak!" ha ha ha ha ha icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 46

too funny! i remember that we talked about that before, but at that point, i assumed YOU were bob, and just thought your own "BUNS" were wonderful (interpret as you will...baked goods or body parts)... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 46

well that explains it! I thought you were Bob, too!! LOL

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 46

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I don't mind being called "Bob" -- trust me, I've been called worse! icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesbykellie Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 46

well that explains it! I thought you were Bob, too!! LOL

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 46

so how about that sprayer? LOL , i should have called this thread, BOBS' BUNS' ....

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 46

yes, back to the sprayer... I showed the picture to Mr. Handyman (not named bob icon_wink.gif) and he said he doesn't remember seeing one at the store, but would keep his eyes open for it (along with the roller, circular cut boards, etc. etc.) icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesbykellie Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 46

i hate when my comments post twice (my fault, i'm sure but it still makes me crazy!).
SO, it occurs to me that i have TWO Home Depot gift cards and while i should probably spend them on home improvements, the idea of looking for this sprayer, round boards, etc has me intrigued!!! i think i'll have to make a trip over there this weekend...... (i bought the foam roller last week at wally world).
icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 46

I believe they would be in the painting department.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 46

I'm sorry bobwonderbuns, I made the same assumption, should have know that anyone as knowledgeable as you had to be a woman! thumbs_up.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 46

I have sveral of these and they are not at all Home Depot stores. My Home Depot did not have them but I stopped at another ten miles away. They were less that five dollars for the starter kit.

They are great for complete surface coverage.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 46

well seeing as i don't dare send my DH in HD & i have kids--i guess i'm gonna have to go with melysa & order it.

DH's a carpenter--framing & trimming & sending him in there is like sending us in a cake supply store

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 46

No offense to any men out there!! Ha! Anyway back to the sprayer, I haven't seen Duff use it, He uses it for luster dust? Interesting!

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:38pm
post #17 of 46

I'm not that familar with air brushes, how does it work? Is that one a one use sort of thing, or can you refill the air in it?

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:41pm
post #18 of 46

Ummmm.....at the risk of sounding stupid....what do you use the foam rollers for??
Also I heard that another good buy at Home Depot was a big paint edger for smoothing out icing!
As for the circular boards......does Home Depot cut them for you? What a wonderful idea though. Then do you just cover them and do you reuse them?
icon_cool.gif

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:44pm
post #19 of 46

moydear77, is this better than the dry brush tool i posted in another thread- since you have both?

missrobin- duff normally uses an airbrush but for smaller things, he will use this. it only holds one ounce of fluid

amyk, this is kind of an airbrush, kind of not. basically you can hold one ounce of paint in it. the auction page says you can use at least six jars or so before replacing the air can. i have heard others say it can go through aprox. 16 ounces. i have never tried it, but we'll see! i suppose the air refill cans can be purchased at home depot or where ever else these are purchased. i saw some refills on ebay.

i heard here before that you need to rinse it right away or it will get clogged. remembering that this is only a 5 dollar toy...its not an amazing airbrush, so it shouldnt be expected to do huge jobs all day long. but it sounds great for small finishing touches...i can t wait to use it for giving a super pearl sheen to a finished cake!!! yay! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

moydear77 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:49pm
post #20 of 46

Melysa it is great for wet overall coverage. I tend to spray all my luster on cakes so I would prefer it.

There is several threads about consumption of the cake. This is along the same lines as using canned air for the airbrush.

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:51pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6210

Ummmm.....at the risk of sounding stupid....what do you use the foam rollers for??
Also I heard that another good buy at Home Depot was a big paint edger for smoothing out icing!
As for the circular boards......does Home Depot cut them for you? What a wonderful idea though. Then do you just cover them and do you reuse them?
icon_cool.gif

its not stupid at all! i never would have known half the tricks i know now if it werent for cc!

after icing your cake with bc, let it set up for 5-10 (i use a tb of meringue powder in my recipe so it sets up almost immediately) minutes , then take a small 4" dense foam roller (mine is a yellow foam rubbermaid roller from walmart) and roll the icing very gently and it smooths out the knife marks, creases and air bubbles. totally coo.. around here we call it the MELVIRA method. she is a cc member/poster who discovered this. i love how well it works.

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:52pm
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6210

icon_cool.gif

its not stupid at all! i never would have known half the tricks i know now if it werent for cc!

after icing your cake with bc, let it set up for 5-10 (i use a tb of meringue powder in my recipe so it sets up almost immediately) minutes , then take a small 4" dense foam roller (mine is a yellow foam rubbermaid roller from walmart) and roll the icing very gently and it smooths out the knife marks, creases and air bubbles. totally coo.. around here we call it the MELVIRA method. she is a cc member/poster who discovered this. i love how well it works.

the round boards, hd will not cut but they sell those cheap table tops pre cut for just a few dollars. i found the same thing at my cake store for $6.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:56pm
post #23 of 46

Well I gave in and ordered 2. So we will see how well I do with them! I am a sucker for ebay and cute little tricks to make my cakes look good. I will deff post about it when I get it.....OOOOOOOOO, I love new toys!!!!! icon_lol.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:31pm
post #24 of 46

I hope you guys have better luck with the Preval than I did. I got so frustrated I dumped the color, washed the bottle and sprayer and they are sitting in the box unused. Maybe it is just that I needed to practice with it at a time when I wasn't rushed or stressed. But I got uneven spots of color whether I held the sprayer up close or at a distance, it spit and sputtered.

2sdae Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:40pm
post #25 of 46

Did you try trimming the long nozzle part? I heard tell that that sometimes helps with less distance for the paint to travel. But then again who knows till you get the thing and mess with it. Plus it is a "cheaper" toy than an air brush.

moydear77 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:44pm
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

Did you try trimming the long nozzle part? I heard tell that that sometimes helps with less distance for the paint to travel. But then again who knows till you get the thing and mess with it. Plus it is a "cheaper" toy than an air brush.

By trimming the end you are left with unused luster or paint. The Straw I will call it touches all the way to the bottom of the jar if you trim it you are forced to use more color or luster just to get the straw to meet the liquid. Make sense??

2sdae Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 7:13pm
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

By trimming the end you are left with unused luster or paint. The Straw I will call it touches all the way to the bottom of the jar if you trim it you are forced to use more color or luster just to get the straw to meet the liquid. Make sense??

Got ya. You shorten the strwa and then you have to keep it full in order to reach the straw so the paint will reach the straw. thumbs_up.gif

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm
post #28 of 46

although , if shortening the straw makes it work better (fact or assumption?) then it wouldnt be all that bad. the stuff that is left in the bottom can be used for painting with a brush for other projects.. when you are done, just remove the straw and air can, put the included lid on your paint, and wash out the straw. i have always saved my paint and if the alchohol evaporates, i just add more.

2sdae Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 8:22pm
post #29 of 46

True, true. I will hafta try it and see what happens when I get it. I'll let you guys know the out come. Or if someone else who already has it can experiment let us know the out come first!

melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 11:27pm
post #30 of 46

wow, you guys are animals! i just checked the link and he sold more than 20 this afternoon! i had to go back and buy another one "JUST IN CASE" icon_biggrin.gif I hope the guy isnt overloaded LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%