Cake Flour Vs. Reg. Flour

Decorating By kris2005 Updated 5 Jan 2007 , 1:27am by chaptlps

kris2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris2005 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:14am
post #1 of 4

I have cake flour and reg.flour i was wondering what the difference was between the two of them.Does it change the consistency of nfsc or any other type of sugar cookies.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:24am
post #2 of 4

This link explains the differences in types of flour better than I can:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/FlourTypes.htm

Theresa icon_smile.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:25am
post #3 of 4

The difference is the glutten in it. I'm not sure what difference that makes. . .

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:27am
post #4 of 4

regular flour or all purpose flour has more gluten proteins and depending on your locale it can vary.
Cake flour on the other hand is made from soft wheat and has a lower gluten content. Flours with higher gluten tend to be more rubbery and elastic in doughs n such. Sometimes that's not a bad thing especially when you are making bread. But would be disastrous if used in baked goods like shortbread cookies or pie crusts and sponge cakes.
There are 3 basic types of flour that you can get at the grocery store. Bread flour, which has a high gluten content. All purpose flour, which is somewhere in the middle. Lots of recipes are designed specifically for use with all purpose flour because it is easy to find. and Cake flour, which is the softest and lowest gluten of these three. You can get all these at the local grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%