Edible Ink And Canon

Decorating By msmanning2 Updated 8 Jan 2007 , 12:36am by tiggy2

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 33

Hello, I have been trying to do a lot of research on edible imanges/ink/printers. I have a canon pixma mp780. It is a scanner/printer/fax all in one. I use it for work and it was not cheap. It uses 5 cartridges. From what I can tell, the canon edible 5 cartridge edible ink set is compatible. Does anyone else use this printer for edible images? What are your thoughts. The last thing I want to do, is use edible ink in this thing and break it. I would also be buying the cleaning cartriges. Thank for any thoughts that you may have.

32 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 33

You shouldn't use a printer that has had ink in it for edible images, it will contaminate your image and the cake. You would need to purchase a new printer dedicated only for the purpose of edible images. Here's a link that might help you. http://www.cakecentral.com/article59-Edible-Images-Chapter-1---The-Basics.html#alreadyowncanon

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 33

From what I understand in reading some posts over the last couple of days is that you cannot use a used printer for edible images...the printer must be brand new. I could be wrong though; this is just what I remember reading.

HTH's!
Karen

msmanning2 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 33

That is why I love this site. Thank you for your advice. I will try and find a cheaper printer to use only for my cakes. Any suggestions? I know a lot are being discontinued.

tiggy2 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 33

The link I posted also has a list of printers that are compatible. I got mine on ebay and it was very reasonable so you might check there. I read that a lot of the canons have been discontinued. You can also do a search in the forms for edible images as there was a recent post and a lot of discussion on the printers.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 33

Epson is the only printer that can be reused as an edible printer per kopykake information. They are recommending buying used if you can't or do not want to spend the money for a new one.

Because Epson has an ink tank instead of sponges like Canon, you can do a deep cleaning and print off and you are set to go without the worry of contamination.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 33

Here's a link to epson printers, they are having a clearance sale http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccHome.jsp?oid=0&ref=s0002BUenp Happy shopping!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Epson is the only printer that can be reused as an edible printer per kopykake information. They are recommending buying used if you can't or do not want to spend the money for a new one.

Because Epson has an ink tank instead of sponges like Canon, you can do a deep cleaning and print off and you are set to go with the worry of contamination.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Yes Stephanie214 is right we did alot of research to see what printer I should buy and found out the same thing Ebson has tanks not sponges. I ended up buying an Ebson that I only use for decorating.

stephanie214 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 12:59am
post #9 of 33

Hi Sharon,

Which one did you get?

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:36am
post #10 of 33

I bought the ebson 4800cx for $89 at an office supply store. You should be able to get it cheaper in the US since everythng here cost more in Canada.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:38am
post #11 of 33

Even with an Epson, you should start with a new printer. It's the print head/internal components that become contaminated. Both Canon and Epson printers use tanks/sponges. If you can, start with a new Canon.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:47am
post #12 of 33

I am on my 4th Canon and hate canon, I have had trouble with all of them. I will be trying the Epson next/soon. I don't reccommend Canon!!!!!
mpc

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 7:17am
post #13 of 33

mypastrychef, what type of issues did you have using the canon printer?

stephanie214 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

I bought the ebson 4800cx for $89 at an office supply store. You should be able to get it cheaper in the US since everythng here cost more in Canada.

Great choice, I love mine. I brought it from ebay for $9.99 plus $25.00 shipping icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 33

I have the epson cx4200 and love it. Got it on ebay for under $70

msmanning2 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 33

well it looks like i can't find any of the dicontinued canon printers anywhere. i am thinking about the epson c88. anyone have and use that one?

mypastrychef Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScakes

mypastrychef, what type of issues did you have using the canon printer?

Can't keep the print head clean. The ink tanks seem to drip out at times and I've had so many times the lines in the photo. I don't like the color produced.

I clean the head several times before and after each use
mpc

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 11:46pm
post #18 of 33

I just won the Epson CX4800 on ebay. Can anyone here who has the Epson tell me please where you buy your edible ink and cleaning solution? I went to Sugarcraft where they sell the Epson edible ink but everytime I try to place an order, I get an error message. That's the way it is on anything on that sight that I try to order. Not sure what's going on there. Thanks so much...
Margie

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:14am
post #19 of 33

I bought my ink cartridges for the epson at Kopykakes. I don't think they have cleaning solution for the epson though.

butternut Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:20am
post #20 of 33

Thanks so much Tiggy2. Can you think of anything else that I would need to purchase other than the frosting sheets and the ink? Again, thank you so very much...
Margie

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:26am
post #21 of 33

I can't think of anything else but here's a link to a site where you can download free software for your edible images http://deco.uk.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=98&func=select&id=1 Have fun with your new printer!

mypastrychef Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #22 of 33

If you buy the Epson, and you refill your own ink cartridges, be sure to buy the chip resetter from Kopykake - you will need it - the printer doesn't recognize the cartridge unless you reset it and therefore won't print.

I got this info from someone in the RBA.
mpc

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:54am
post #23 of 33

Epson and Canon are both inkjet printers and operate in the same way with a couple important differences. Aside from having chipped cartridges and wasting large amounts of ink, Epson printers don't allow you to remove the print head for cleaning like a Canon does. Once the print head on your Epson gets a stubborn clog (common with edible inks), the entire printer will need to be replaced. If you purchased one of the Epson printers, I think you can still join the class action lawsuit against them. You may be able to get some of your $ back. HTH

stephanie214 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:22pm
post #24 of 33

icon_cry.gif lawsuit icon_surprised.gif please tell us more icon_confused.gifthumbs_up.gif

butternut Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:30pm
post #25 of 33

Is there anyone out there who uses an Epson for their edible images that would like to share their experience with using this printer?

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:58pm
post #26 of 33

I have an epson and so far have good luck with it, but I've only had it a few months. I'd also be interested in information on the lawsuit. Does it cover any particular models or all of them?

butternut Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:05pm
post #27 of 33

Tiggy2 - About how many edible images would you say that you've printed in the few months that you've had it? Yea, I too would love to know more about the law suit... Thanks so much!!

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:11pm
post #28 of 33

I'm guessing about 12 images and have had no problems so far. I have the CX4200

butternut Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 5:40pm
post #29 of 33

Well, hopefully, Tiggy2, we won't have any problems. I'm supposed to receive my CX4800 by the end of next week. I wonder if we should get that chip resetter. They do have many up on ebay at a much lower price than Kopykake. I don't think that I would be refilling the cartridges though because I haven't seen any Epson edible ink refills so I guess I really wouldn't need it icon_confused.gif OK, thanks again.
Margie

stephanie214 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 10:05pm
post #30 of 33

Margie,

kopykake carries the refillable inks for Epson.

I just noticed that you are from Hampton. I have family there about 20 minutes from the University.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%