Hello And Help

Decorating By reptilecommunity Updated 6 Jan 2007 , 3:00am by Tkeys

reptilecommunity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reptilecommunity Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:32am
post #1 of 9

Hi Im new here my name is Jen. And im a newbe to cake decorating! I have made cakes before but never made a cake that I have to iced and now that time has come and I dont know where to start!

Its for my daugters 1st birthday my husband wants a 3D cake for her I have been looking at some of the cakes you have done and they look really good! but where do I start HELP please I have 15 days before her birthday! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:45am
post #2 of 9

Sorry to disappoint you, Jen, but you are taking on an awful lot for your first venture into cake decorating. Most of us do not do a 3-D cake for a few months, or even years, after we start decorating.

If you really want a 3-D cake for your daughter, go to a cake supply or craft store and buy the one of the Wilton Stand-up or character pans, and decorate it according to the directions.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:47am
post #3 of 9

I second that! The Wilton 3D bear pan is perfect for a first birthday - just don't use the core that comes with it - it's far more stable baked whole. Good luck!

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 11:08am
post #4 of 9

i agree!! you could even add things to his hands( balloons-hat-gift etc) its really easy to do and it looks cool. i did that for my seconds daughters 2nd bday.

have fun this is a really great hobby/craft!!

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 11:42am
post #5 of 9

Perhaps you could do a sheet cake, cut into the shape of a butterfly, a ladybird or a flower, something like that. Have fun with whatever you decide to make.

Val

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 9

You might be better of just doing a molded cake, such as a flower, butterfly or the crown pan that wilton puts out! I know you can get these on ebay for a bargin so look there if not Michaels carries them! At least the flower pan Good Luck!

lkfarley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkfarley Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Jen! Welcome! My first 3D cake was the Baby Einstein Caterpillar cake. Was sooooo easy to make. Just used small stainless steel bowls for the molds and decorated with buttercream. I have a picture of it in my photos. Good luck!!!

Julie0902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie0902 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:50am
post #8 of 9

I second (or third) the suggestion to get a Wilton cake pan at Michael's or Joann's. For most of them, you just need a star tip to fill in the design, which is easy (but tiring). I did the Daisy cake for my daughter's first birthday and everyone loved it.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:00am
post #9 of 9

I think the cake pans are the easiest, or the einstein catterpillar idea. You could use the wilton 3D sports ball, and just ice each hump in the appropriate colors. You get the 3D effect without the real "construction" issues of many 3D cakes. The 2nd choice you could try would be the 3D bear pan, and try decorating that with all the stars. I think it might be easier to do one of the shaped pans that isn't 3D, though, or do the caterpillar cake!

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%