A Big Dissapointment (Long)

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 2:27pm by imartsy

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:05am
post #1 of 16

Well I got a really dissapointing phone call today. A few days ago my aunt and uncle were looking through my cake album and decided they would like to order a cake for my uncles 60th party. Since it was a bad time, my grandpa was just hospitalized, we didnt really discuss it much. A few days later my uncle called my dad and asked how much for a dragon cake? I called my uncle after searching for dragon cakes on here. I had decided to make him a sculpted cake. I researched time and cake sizes, and decided on 50.00$ I called him and left a message with his daughter that it would be 50.00$ and he could call later with the date and time, etc. So today my uncle called and said .. "hey what do you have for 25-30.00$? So I told him I could do an 11X15 for 30.00$ (even though my real price is 40.00 ) and he said "what about anything cheaper"? So I said I could do a 9X13 for 25.00$ .. (even though my real price is 30.00$) He agreed to that, and so now all I get to do is a plain old sheetcake!! What a let down!!

15 replies
Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:37am
post #2 of 16

I would have to say if it was me, I would do the dragon cake and give it to them for $25. It is family and I would love to have that picture in my album and the chance to do that kind of design.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:37am
post #3 of 16

Sounds like my family, lol. The cheaper the better. Sorry your fun cake turned into something less challenging=( Jen

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:40am
post #4 of 16

It sounds to me like they should have gone to the bakery at the food store to get the cake. What they wanted and the price they expected to pay is unreasonable. Nothing bad against them of course but I find a lot of time people want something for "nothing", these cakes take time and effort and i think the prices you gave were very fair. Chin up thumbs_up.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:46am
post #5 of 16

If you really wanted to do him a sculpted cake, anyway you could do a smaller one?? or do you think that would be opening a can of worms?

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:50am
post #6 of 16

I say since it is your uncles 60th birthday do the dragon cake for $25.~ take a loss on the rest. It can be part of your gift to him icon_smile.gif And would make a great addition to your portfolio icon_wink.gif And would get ya in good with the fam icon_wink.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #7 of 16

Do the dragon cake; surprsise him. thumbs_up.gif

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 1:04am
post #8 of 16

I agree! Since it is family, I would do the dragon cake for 25 dollars and surprise him. I would make sure it's a gift from you as well. It would make a great addition to your portfolio!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:05am
post #9 of 16

thats true, I could still do the dragon cake .. I hadn't thought of that I guess cause I was pretty dissapointed .. thanks you guys!! icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:15am
post #10 of 16

Just make sure they know that the Dragon is not the $25.00 cake they ordered or they could pass the word to others that you made that cake for $25.00 & people would expect something like that if they ordered a $25.00 cake.
June

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 1:09pm
post #11 of 16

Why not do a small dragon cake and put it on top of the sheet cake they want to pay you for?? That way it isnt a total loss!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 16

Yes, do the dragon cake as your birthday gift to him, but still take the $25 to cover your supplies - that's still a $25 gift from you to him! JMO, but I think $50 would have been a steal for a sculpted dragon cake - I charge $4.50+ per serving for mine!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 1:27pm
post #13 of 16

I have a small MMF baby dragon that I made , it's in my pictures here.

you can make one and put on top of your cake..??

If you need instructions you can pm me and I will gladly send them to you.

HTH

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 16

Do the Dragon Cake. The $25. should cover the ingredients, if nothing else. It's a gift, yes, but a really nice one.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:13pm
post #15 of 16

Risque- Could I get those instructions, please? Have a couple dragon lovers here icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 16

I agree that you should do the cake if you want, but definitely take the $25.00 and tell them that it is your gift and you are giving them a "Portfolio Discount" b/c you liked the design they chose and would love it for your portfolio. However, I would try to make them very aware that it was your choice to do the more expensive cake for less as a gift - otherwise, you could be opening that can of worms where they expect a whole lot for very little pay.

The other thing you could do is to make a compromise - create a sculpted figure for free out of fondant or rice krispies or something and place it on top of the 9 x 13 cake. Then, they still get a little dragon on there, but they don't have the whole sculpted, elaborate cake that would take a lot of your time for very little pay. That way, you still get the experience of sculpting a dragon out of something - fondant, rice krispies, or heck even a small 6 in. cake or something, and you're not doing it for pennies - the dragon part could be part of your gift. And you could still get him a small gift in addition to it b/c you wouldn't be spending too much $$$ making the small sculpted dragon. They get thier cake for $25.00, you get to do something cool for your uncle, and you throw in another small gift too just so no one feels they're paying just for your "gift". - does that make sense? Good luck! I'd love to see the pic when you're done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%