Cooked Buttercream Users, Please Help

Baking By Zamode Updated 5 Jan 2007 , 6:43pm by kisha311

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 12

Anyone that uses the Baker's BC or there are a few others on here that are similar, what is your best? Does it hold color well? I have one from another site that works well but it has to be frozen as well and I need something that will not have condensation at room temperature and will hold color well, I will be using dark blues and violets. The one I use makes color almost two tone and grainy if colored.

I like these so much better than all Crisco or crusting buttercreams, I am looking for the perfect one that will pipe just simple decorations well and hold up in a relatively normal temperature. I keep experimenting and it's a waste of ingredients, time and I would rather have a good tasting BC than one that has a particular trait to it.

Anyone, pleeeeeaase? icon_redface.gif

Edited to ask: does IMBC pipe well and would it hold up?

11 replies
mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not familiar with the baker's buttercream recipe, but I do use SMBC almost exclusively. It's softer than powdered sugar-based icings so it's a bit tough to make really nice flowers with it, but it pipes beautifully and it freezes well. I like SMBC much better than IMBC...with the Swiss, you don't have to worry about those hard little sugar "BB's" that you sometimes get with the Italian when you're adding the hot sugar syrup to the egg whites. Also, the SMBC tints well for the most part, but I've always had trouble getting it to take the darker colors like blue and purple and especially black!

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 12

I also use smbc exclusively- I am not the best decorator, but I have seen good decorators make roses and other complex piping with it.

As far as condensation, you're going to get it with any icing (going from freezer to room temp) unless you live in a very dry climate. Thawing in the fridge will help, but you need to make sure your fridge doesn't have any other food smells because the icing will pick it up.

Coloring...I am able to get good color with the smbc if i use the gel colors and have never had a problem with fading- in fact the colors seem to get darker the next day! But I know what you're talking about with the purple and blue...I have never had colored icing sit around long enough to discolor so I am no help there. I know you can use powdered colors that are guaranteed not to fade, maybe try that if you're worried.

Amber

Zamode Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:41am
post #4 of 12

Thanks ladies. You know I have been wanting to try IMBC for awhile, now you both have me wondering about SMBC. Would you mind sharing the recipes you use? I'm not worried about flowers, just regular piping decorations, stars and shells and all that stuff.

mjw15618 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 12

I use Toba Garrett's SMBC recipe, but her's is pretty much identical to every other SMBC recipe I've come across. I guess you can't mess too much with a classic! I don't have the recipe handy but I do believe it's posted on epicurious.com.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 12

Hmm...my recipe's similar to Toba's but mine uses a lot less butter and the method is a bit different, so I'll post it for comparison. People who have tried Toba's smbc and think it's too heavy or greasy should try my version- I am guessing it is probably lighter!

8 oz egg whites, or 1 c. (I use pasteurized egg whites from a carton)
1# granulated sugar, or about 2 1/3 c.
1# 5 oz butter- cold OR 1# 2 oz butter and 3 oz shortening (hi-ratio is best)
vanilla or other extract to taste (I usually use 1-2 t.)

Cut butter into T. size pieces and set aside on counter while you cook the meringue.

Place the egg whites and the sugar in a saucepan and heat on low/med-low, stirring constantly so you don't get scrambled eggs. Cook to 160 on a candy or probe thermometer and promptly remove from heat. If it appears you have any bits of cooked egg, you can strain them out.

Pour into the large bowl of your mixer (whip attachment) and begin to whip on med-low, gradually speeding up to med-high. When you have a nice fluffy meringue (tripled or quadrupled in volume) and the bowl is just barely warm to the touch, lower the speed to med/med-low and begin adding the butter- DO NOT CHANGE ATTACHMENTS!

Add the butter a piece or two at a time, squishing it a little with your fingers to soften. It may appear to break, but keep going and it will pull back together. If you are using the shortening, add it last in T. size pinches. Once all the fat is incorporated, add the vanilla.

You can use immediately. This can be left at room temp for a couple of days, but for longer storage, refrigerate. If refrigerated, before using let stand at room temp to soften and then beat with the paddle attachment to re-mix.

If you try my recipe, let me know how you like it! icon_smile.gif

Amber

Zamode Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:15am
post #7 of 12

Thank you both! Amber I will try the recipe. Does it harden when refrigerated? The potential scrambled egg bit worries me but I'll try! icon_razz.gif

mjw15618 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 12

It does tend to get very firm when refrigerated. I always tell my customers to let the cake sit at room temperature for a few hours before serving so that the icing is fluffy and soft. Don't worry about scrambled eggs! You'll be fine. If after you add the butter it doesn't come together properly (looks like cottage cheese), warm the mixing bowl containing the icing in a larger bowl of hot water, stirring it constantly with a rubber spatula. It will look a bit melted. Re-beat and it should come together nicely. I've done this countless times and it always works....the last thing you want to do is throw away all that butter when it looks like you've messed up! Good luck!

Zamode Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for those tips! icon_biggrin.gif I'll let you know how it turns out once I try it.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 12

Here is an Italian meringue buttercream proponent. I love the ease of making this icing, only ever had BBs if I wasn't watching the temperature and overcooked it. The texture is light and fluffy, the taste is fresh and delicious. It goes on like satin with very little effort to get a perfectly smooth finish. Can be frozen, thawed and rebeaten. Works for borders, stringwork and writing. Haven't tried it for flowers but it may be a bit soft for roses.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

Zamode Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

It goes on like satin with very little effort to get a perfectly smooth finish.

Oh Lord, Shirley, I'm all over it then! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif Thanks~ Bernadette (SB)

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 12

Shirley,

I read your recipe and wondered if the cream of tartar is the powdered kind? If not, how do you make it and then get it to the correct temp? I would very much like to make this but am very much afraid! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%