How To Make Lace Molds?

Decorating By Jodiedew Updated 2 Jan 2007 , 7:27am by playingwithsugar

Jodiedew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodiedew Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone used silicone putty to make their own molds? I LOVE some of the cakes on this site that have used lace or flower molds to add fondant accents, but I'm a bit dismayed that it costs about $20 per lace mold. I saw that silicone putty costs about $20 per pound, so I could probably make a lot of molds with that much. It seems simple enough to make a 3D mold, but has anyone made a mold with something as thin and delicate as lace? How would you go about doing it? Thanks!!! (Happy New Year!)

10 replies
katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 11

Well, i don't understand how to make them but if you go to this website then scroll down to "lace molds" it gives instructions. To me its confusing but maybe you can make some sense out of it.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/plastique/plastique.htm

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 11

Oh, I think its pretty much saying to lay the silicone putty over your lace then let it set. then you have your mold. I need to buy some of that putty. I was really wanting a lace mold too.

Jodiedew Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 11

I saw that link, too, but was also confused icon_smile.gif I was just hoping someone on here had tried it out to see what their experience had been!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 11

I love silicone putty. It's my new favorite toy. But, you should know that a pound of it really isn't a lot. Especially if you're thinking of making a strip of lace that's a couple or maybe even three inches wide. But, get some, for sure. It gets the creative juices flowing. Right now, I'm making seashell molds. I thought the ones you can buy for chocolate weren't real-looking enough. I'm VERY happy with what I've made so far.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 11

Where do you buy silicone putty and is it food safe?

Jodiedew Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 12:38am
post #7 of 11

ckkerber, if you look at the link katy625 provided you'll see an online source to purchase silicone putty. If you google it, there are tons more sites that sell it as well. I haven't seen it in any stores near me, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Usually it's around $20 per pound. It is indeed food safe, but you're not supposed to wear latex gloves when using it because it interacts badly with it.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:18am
post #8 of 11

Jodiedew,

Thanks for answering my questions and for the warning about latex gloves . . . is it terribly sticky / messy to work with?

Carol

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:29am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy625

Well, i don't understand how to make them but if you go to this website then scroll down to "lace molds" it gives instructions. To me its confusing but maybe you can make some sense out of it.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/plastique/plastique.htm

Thanks for the link, this is interesting to say the least. Something else I will have to add to my gotta try this list.

Jodiedew Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:33am
post #10 of 11

ckkerber, that's a good question. Since I haven't tried it yet either, I'm not sure if it's sticky. Somehow I just imagine it being like playdough. Has anyone else used silicone putty to make their own molds? What has been your experience? It just seems so much cheaper to make my own than buy them, especially since I spend so much money on this hobby already icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 7:27am
post #11 of 11

If you do a search for silicone putty, please make sure that the product you intend to purchase is food-safe. Not all silicone mold-making products are, as some are intended for polymer clay and other uses.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%