Yellow Cake From Scratch

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 6 Jan 2007 , 10:24pm by sweetamber

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 14

I just made my first yellow cake from scratch and the chocolate buttercream dream, but the cake was dry and not a little dry but not too dry, can anyone share their recipe for a moist yellow cake I'm trying not make cake mixes anymore I even tried doctoring the cakes but they still taste out of the box but this cake I made was good just dry

13 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 14

try the recipes in Toba Garrett's books. I think they are wonderful.

notjustcake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 14

thanks I'll see if I can check them out at the library

danny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danny Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 14

i use the cake bible for my scratch cake. the cake are so good you dont need buttercream. its a really nice book

notjustcake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 14

thank you I feel like I'm going backwards trying to make cakes from scratch now I should have just stuck with mixes!!

Inlovewithcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inlovewithcakes Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 14

If it's good but dry then add a box of pudding mix. That's what I do to my White Cake and it's delicious. I will do this to my yellow cake next time too.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

I just made my first yellow cake from scratch and the chocolate buttercream dream, but the cake was dry and not a little dry but not too dry, can anyone share their recipe for a moist yellow cake I'm trying not make cake mixes anymore I even tried doctoring the cakes but they still taste out of the box but this cake I made was good just dry

You can try adding simple syrup to the cake to add moisteness.

Simple Syrup

1 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar
1 TB of Vanilla extract and/or other flavor

Boil water and sugar for about 10 minutes, on medium heat. Remove from heat. Let it sit until lukewarm or cool. Then add vanilla.

You can brush it on the completely cooled cake or spray it with a spray bottle.

If you are going to tort the cake, tort first, soak the first layer, fill and then put the next layer on top and repeat.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

Try this one
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2143-5-Versatile-Buttercake.html
i make it all the time, i sometimes subsitute the butter for margarine and the milk for soy. It makes a very light cake.
The cake will take a lot less time if you bake it in 2 inch pans, so check it when it starts to brown, usually over baking is the cause for dry cakes. If the recipe works for someone else then it's overbaking : )
CHeers
Nati

notjustcake Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:58am
post #9 of 14

Thank you so much for the tips to all of you Boonenati I think you are right I may have overcooked it I think I left them in there like 35 minutes and the tops were brown all over i thought that's what they mean by brown on top so when they are barely brown do the pocking test is what i do but I usually do it too late I guess the cake is usually already brown when I do that i will try again,
Gracias,
Patty

jmt1714 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

try the recipes in 's books. I think they are wonderful.

um, what happened? I had mentioned the author by name - why was it removed?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 14

I tried the recipes in "Sweet Celebrations" by Sylvia Weinstock. Good flavor but dry, dry, dry!!!

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 14

Jmt1714- it's there, I can see it! I think Heath addressed this issue in the technical forum- it has something to do with your OS or browser? Certain things like techniques and names of decorators or products come up as a link and for some reason there are a few who can't see them!

On the subject of cake, I'm with MariaLovesCakes- simple syrup will help! I have a hard time with yellow cake too- I have tried so many recipes and haven't found one I like yet, so I never offer it as a flavor.

Amber

jmt1714 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 14

that is weird. it doesn't come up as a link - the words just aren't there. very odd.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 14

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%