Cake Dummy Question

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 31 Dec 2006 , 10:29pm by nglez09

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:26am
post #1 of 15

how do you do a cake dummy? can u reuse it? what icing is best to use on a dummy?

14 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:38am
post #2 of 15

Yes you can reuse them. I've wrapped them in saran wrap but it's hard to cover the wrinkles. There was a post earlier where someone used the press n seal wrap before frosting and said it worked very well. You can use buttercream, royal or fondant. If using fondant mist it with a little water to get the fondant to stick to it.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:38am
post #3 of 15

I made a dummy cake once and i just bought styrofoam circles and stacked three of them to get each tier. I used dowels to hold them all together and then i iced with buttercream. The colors started to fade within the week. I took them apart and used a butter knife to scrape off all the icing and washed with hot water and soap. I never did another one but you could certainly reuse. HTH

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:40am
post #4 of 15

I just got my first set today, and I can't wait to use them! Good to know that press and seal works better than plastic wrap!

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:57am
post #5 of 15

thanks...I thought it would be a good way for me to practice without doing all the baking..we are not big cake eaters, we do like them but we throw out more than we eat..especially if i bake as many as i want to experiment with

sjlarby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlarby Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:07am
post #6 of 15

I use them a lot. I have never covered mine with any kind of wrap and they work great. I have covered them in both fondant and buttercream. I would recommend using the an actual cake dummy though and not making one from the styrofoam that is available at craft stores. The craft store foam is so much more difficult to spread buttercream on. It will not adhere as easily. Enjoy practicing!

sjlarby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlarby Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:08am
post #7 of 15

I use them a lot. I have never covered mine with any kind of wrap and they work great. I have covered them in both fondant and buttercream. I would recommend using the an actual cake dummy though and not making one from the styrofoam that is available at craft stores. The craft store foam is so much more difficult to spread buttercream on. It will not adhere as easily. Enjoy practicing!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:41am
post #8 of 15

Working with the dummies is fun. First just take an emory board and round what will be the top edge of the dummy. This will help prevent your fondant from tearing and give it a more realistic look.

You don't need to cover your dummy with anything if you are going to cover it with fondant. Just brush water on the sides of the dummy and then apply the fondant. Once you are finished using the dummy you can peel off the fondant and reuse the dummy. That's all!!!!!!

Have fun!

Amy

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:51am
post #9 of 15

I had trouble keeping mine down to spread buttercream on it. It there a trick to that? It kept scooting off the turntable because it is so light.

cakemommy Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:55am
post #10 of 15

I have yet to cover a dummy with buttercream but I would imagine you could affix it to the turntable with some icing. Just press down on it to help glue it down. I wouldn't use too much icing though as it will take longer for the "glue" to dry keeping the dummy in place.

Hope that makes sense.

Amy

tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 15

I affix mine to a cake board covered with contact paper using small ringshank nails then put nonskid mat on the turn table to keep it in place. HTH

cakemommy Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 15

what is a ringshank nail? Even my husband doesn't know what that is!

tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 15

It's a nail that has little ridges around it, similar to a screw but not as pronounced. If you ask someone at Lowes or Home Depot they will know what you are talking about.

cakemommy Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 15

I'll look it up! Thank you!

Amy

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 15

Why don't you cover it with Press and Seal as if it were fondant? I've never used one before, but I'll try that next time after the one for the Competition.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%