I Hate Snowflakes!!!!

Decorating By karateka Updated 7 Jan 2007 , 4:56am by shannan6607

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 4:31pm
post #31 of 36

This cake was a while ago - but I either used waxed paper or parchment for the snowflakes. The curls on top are actually part of the top fondant layer.... I put the fondant on the cake and then cut wedges in it (like a pie) and rolled it back on to little wooden dowels and let it dry overnight. I have never used gumpaste - so I can't tell ya what works better.....
Wow - good luck with the 2 cakes and be sure to post a pictue when you are done!!

shannan6607 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannan6607 Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 10:09pm
post #32 of 36

OK, I did my snowflakes for the upcoming cake and used the silicone parchment. It worked perfectly! They slid right off. No sticking at all! I don't understand it, but I put cake sparkles on all the snowflakes except the ones I practiced with, well, the snowflakes with the sparkles on them are VERY strong while the ones without are much more fragile. None of my sparkly snowflakes broke, while I had a couple of the non-sparkly break for no reason. Hmmmm.

I will post cakes when I'm done. I am ready for this week to be over!

shannan6607 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 11:55pm
post #33 of 36

Thanks for all the help guys! the cake went off without a hitch! Here is the pic I promised. Both cakes were due on saturday, it was a marathon, But all is done and delivered! I will have them in my photos soon.

eagerlearner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eagerlearner Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 1:12am
post #34 of 36

Maybe mine were chunkier, or I piped them on plastic bags instead or parchment, But none of them broke! Since your in a bit of a pinch, use buttercream and shove it in the freezer instead.The cake is in my gallery.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 1:23am
post #35 of 36

OMGosh! I wish I'd heard about the plastic wrap sooner! I just did a cake (posted on CC) for my doctor's office on Thursday and made double the snowflakes I needed and still broke a ton of them! On my cake, you can see 'pieces' of the broken ones that I used anyway. Everyone thought it was great, but it was so frustrating!

Thanks for the tip! and good luck to any and all future snowflake-makers! icon_smile.gif

shannan6607 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:56am
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe mine were chunkier, or I piped them on plastic bags instead or parchment, But none of them broke! Since your in a bit of a pinch, use buttercream and shove it in the freezer instead.The cake is in my gallery.

Your snowflakes are awesome! I had to do the skinny kind that are very fragile. If you ever have to make those, be sure to use the silicone paper it will save your life! I have put mine in my gallery now check it out, you will see why they are so fragile!

I am so glad thatI saw about the post before I had to do my cake or I would have had several broken!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%