*female* Problems Question

Lounge By Zmama Updated 3 Jan 2007 , 5:39pm by butterflyjuju

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:27am
post #1 of 24

What works best for feminine monthlys? Midol used to work, Premsyn worked great but can't find it here, and I'm Hurting with the capital H even with prescription pain killers. Seriously, when it started I bent over to pick something up and couldn't get back up without help. Advice? Docs want me to have a hysterectomy, I'm only 28 and refuse at this point.

23 replies
Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:43am
post #2 of 24

icon_eek.gif I know EXACTY what you mean icon_cry.gif I have not been to the girl doc in 6 years icon_sad.gif

I do not know what to tell you. I hope you do feel better. I just avoid the doc. I really, really need to go back. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hoping you get better SOON thumbs_up.gif

Monica

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:46am
post #3 of 24

The only thing that works for me the first 24 hours is Aleve. It's the only medicine I ever take...I take 2 to start and then in 8-12 hours I take another one. That usually is good for me. I also sleep very well with it. Good luck to you!!!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:19am
post #4 of 24

I feel your pain! I used to take lots of ibuprofen and yet it really never helped. One thing you might want to try is to lie down with an ice pack on your lower back. There is an accupuncture/accupressure point in your lower back that works for menstrual cramps, and just icing for 20-30 minutes can help.

Have you ever been on the pill or Depo? I used to have very bad, crampy, icky periods that got somewhat better after I had my daughter, but are wonderfully nonexistant now that I'm on Depo. I was on the pill for a few years also and had very light periods with that. But on Depo most people don't get a period. As you know there are side effects and potential side effects to using hormones, so I don't know if those are a good fit for you or not. I know there are serious side effects after having a hysterectomy, but if that option was presented to me at this point in my life (and I'm 33), I would very seriously consider it.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you feel better!

-Lisa

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:26am
post #5 of 24

I use the topical ointment for pain, like the rub-ons you can buy for artrithis. I rub it on my tummy, just a little, take 3 ibuprofen, and the pain goes away. I always had pain in my monthy's, when I was a teen I often missed school. Midols and other pain killers never worked. Escept for the ointment. Now, I use the Lakota rub-on and it works great, but I have to be careful to not put too much of it or it burns. And I also take warm baths before putting it on.

hth

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 4:09am
post #6 of 24

Considering you are about to get married and are only 28 I couldn't imagine having one either! Unless there is something seriously wrong never take a body part out---per the advice of my Doctor.

I have horrible cramps to the point where I can hardly walk. I've been to the doc. for it and he said the pain is so severe that my body can't take all the pain in that one section so it moves it around to other areas also. Great! no really icon_cool.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

I was giving a script for a higher over the counter pain reliver and then put on birth control pills. The pill and I did not get along but since getting off of it my syptoms are not as severe as they were.

That's a great idea about the ointment if the asprins don't work. my abdomen is hurting right now just thinking about it thumbsdown.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 4:30am
post #7 of 24

This sounds strange but a lady I was friends with said that if she used tampons the first day or 2 she felt like you do. If she didn't, her symptoms weren't as bad. Just a thought. What about those warm patch things like for your neck, back, etc? I think they make a really thin one you can wear on your tummy. icon_smile.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 4:30am
post #8 of 24

Has your doctor prescribed Naproxen Sodium/AnaproxDS? It's like Aleve but like triple the dose (550 mg). It's great stuff. After half an hour it makes me feel "happy".

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:28am
post #9 of 24

Zmama---best of luck, i was thinking about the aleve in mega dose like jsmith said, my doc put me on it once--

MONICA--i'll deal with you through PM, be prepared young lady!!!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 6:43am
post #10 of 24

Do you have endometriosis?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 24

My neighbor had a problem with severe cramping and heavy heavy flow, some times getting her period twice a month. So it was debilitating to her. She had surgery this past spring. i dont know the name of the procedure, but I think they go in and and use some kind of laser or something. Anyway, I dont think she has had a period since. They told her she might not ever have one again. I dont know if that is a suitable choice if you would want to have children though.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 24

This may not be helpful to you, if you don't have any children, but I recently got an IUD (Merina) and I can't speak enough about it. Within 4 months, I no longer have periods or any PMS symptoms, it is over 99% effective, good for 5 years, and totally reversible. Takes effect immediately, and you are fertile again as soon as it is removed. But I believe it is only for women who have had at least one child...

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 24

Sounds like really bad Endo... has your doctor talked to you about just stopping your period? Do you plan/want more children (you have two?)...

I know a hysterectomy seems radical, but if you have severe endometriosis and are done with your family building, a partial hystectomy (see if they can save your ovaries unless they are also covered in endo.) could make your life so much better. A complete hysterectomy is a more difficult decision, I agree simply because of the osteoperosis threat.... Endo is no joke. I'm so sorry you are dealing with such terrible problems.

Melissa

Zmama Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 6:33pm
post #14 of 24

Merissa - I believe what she had done was "endometrial ablation" (sp).

I started with HEAVY flows, nothing would contain them, ER visit stuff twice a month for a year after having my daughter. Had EA (above) over two years ago, which worked for about a year where it was supposed to last 5 at least. I'm not heavy now, but the pain even with tramadol and a heating pad put me down for at least 12 hrs.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to try some cream. Right now 25mg tramadol and 2 midol barely touch it, and I can't find blackberry wine here - an enzyme in that helps cramps with only about 2 oz.

We want children together (I have 2 now, boy and girl) and actually got pregnant once, but my uterus is too scarred from the surgery to carry. IF I can hold out a few more years it should heal enough to carry a baby, since it is healing 5x faster than the doc thought it would. But, if the pain continues getting worse each month, a partial hys may be the only option. No doc has said anything about endo to me, don't know much about it really.

Thank you ladies for the support. I felt like a big baby, since it seems everyone else goes on with life during this time, and I can't even take care of the kids. I hate it that others hurt this bad, but at least we know we're not alone. ((HUGS))

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 12:36am
post #15 of 24

it sounds like endo to me also I just had a explorotory lapto see If I had it.Luckily I didn't but it is not a terrible surgerya s faras surgery goes. Definatily see you doc and try some of the diets that can inhibit the growth of the endo.Doresearch because sometimes you have to make dr's listen to you. Don't ever believe them because they are human and you need to help yourself HTH

Zmama Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 12:57am
post #16 of 24

Thank you all SO much! Adding the cream rub (Aspercream is what I had) to the other things made it bearable.

I'll make a point to ask about endo at my next appt.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 2:37am
post #17 of 24

Glad it helped!!! keep us posted!!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:41pm
post #18 of 24

I just wanted to thank everyone for posting this. It has made me realize that I HAVE to get to the doctor. I can not mess around with this any longer. I love you all! icon_wink.gif Tara you too.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 4:59am
post #19 of 24

I too had a heavy bleeding problem. I also had complications with preg. due to meds that were given to my mother when she was preg. for me. I was given a Depo shot for 10 years and the only side effect was weight gain. LOL The periods stopped within a month and so did the pain. I was only able to have one child, but my life was in jeapordy if I was to have another child. I would first find out about the endo., then ask whether or not Depo could be an option for you. After you stop taking the shot it is in your system for a few months and then you can try to get preg. again. Good Luck P.S. get more than one opinion if necessary

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 12:32pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

P.S. get more than one opinion if necessary

Great point. If your Dr. is stuck on the idea of a hysterectomy & you aren't, get a second opinion & see what other options may be available to you.

-Lisa

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:37pm
post #21 of 24

Not sure if this was posted already or not but you could try taking the contraceptive pill continuously (ie. don't take the sugar pills only the full strength pills) so it stops your periods. I have endo and did this for years I rarely got pain when I did it (and my pain was really debilitating before that). You can stop taking it when/if you want to get pregnant so it is not permanent like a hysterectonmy (sp?) perhaps something to discuss with your doctor next visit.

As for when you do have pain I find codeine helps I have taken Nurofen Plus (ibroprofen & codeine) Panadene (paracetomol & codeine) or when its really unbearable panadeine forte we can only get it on prescription here so requires a visit to the doc (has a higher dose of codeine but can make you feel a little zonked after a few doses) plus a heatpack and a medicinal dose of chocolate (sorry kidding about the chocolate icon_wink.gif )

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 12:50am
post #22 of 24

Calcium on a regular basis. It takes a few months to kick in. If the cramps lessen in strength but last longer, I know I'm going in the right direction and they will eventually go away all together. To kill the pain of here and now when I don't keep up with my calcium, drug of choice followed by a mountain dew. Not good for you, but it works.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 7:31am
post #23 of 24

Chasing a pain killer with a highly caffeinated beverage helps wonders for my headaches but I haven't tried it for cramps.

I certainly hope you get to the root of what's causing the pain. This is the worst part about being a woman IMO!

I'll have to try the Aspercream. Mine just ended today icon_rolleyes.gif icon_redface.gif so I'll have to wait 'till next round to give it a whirl.

I have noticed that my pain and bleeding have worsened since I had my tubal ligation back in May of '05!! It was several months after that that I noticed that my second and third day were horribly heavy. Even the largest size tampon AND a large maxi isn't enough for those days. I hate having to get up at least four times during the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. icon_mad.gif icon_mad.gif

I have some Naproxen that I got from my Dr. for back pain. I'll give that a go 'round too next time. I usually just tough out the pain but it does bring me to tears sometimes.

Amy

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 5:39pm
post #24 of 24

This is what my doc told me to do. Two days before they start, take two aleve with bread at breakfast time, two aleve with bread at lunch, two aleve with bread at supper, and two aleve with bread at bedtime. I use to do this all the time. It really helps to make it more bearable. Also I eat a lot of cinnamon candy and drink a whole lot more caffeine. Not sure why those two help but they seem too. Thankfully since I've had my kids they haven't been quite as bad but still painful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%