Help Me Kick Start My Imagination!

Decorating By rigama Updated 2 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm by AlamoSweets

rigama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 12:34am
post #1 of 19

I just got a call for someone who wants a cake...She doesn't know the bday woman terribly well, but this is what I have.

65 yrs old
Funky fun
likes to go out dancing (not ballroom...clubbing icon_eek.gif )
Likes southwestern look
Dresses in bright colors
Leader in women's Self Expression and Leadership seminars
Life Coach
Has 2 small dogs

My first thought was a turquoise, purple and red Topsy Turvey cake, but I've never made one of those and I'm terrified. Plus I only have till the 6th.

Also thinking maybe a sheet cake with half ball on top...decorated as earth, perhaps and fun colors on the sheet cake. "A World Of Possibilites..." (one of he favorite things to say is "Invented as possibility).But I kinda blank there. For what it's worth, though I've been decorating for a couple of years, I've never taken a (whole) class and do this as a hobby so my skills aren't near as elaborate as you all! I'm looking for WOW ideas on a hobbiest level.

Thanks a million!

18 replies
nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:39am
post #2 of 19

If you know how to work with fondant, or playdoh and cutters, how about taking the ideas about her, and putting figures or shapes on floral wire. That way it will look like they are coming out of the cake? YOu didn't say amount of people, but if you don't want wires, on layers put shapes about lady.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:54am
post #3 of 19

Instead of topsy-turvy, you could do a cake that is similar - one of those cakes which has tiers that are wider at the top than at the bottom, but stacked symmetrically, directly on top of one another.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 10:04am
post #4 of 19

here is one i had saved, i think it would have a WOW factor and you could change it to really bright fun colors...

kylie
LL

rigama Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 19

Wow, that is a really cute cake!

Last night I dreamed that I made a topsey turvey cake, and it was wonderful. I'm wondering if I need to just take the bull by the horns and do it. I've been wanting to try for a long time, but I haven't had a real excuse.

I need to feed roughly 40 ppl, so what sizes and how many tiers are we looking at? Could I get away with 6in stacked on 8in or would 6/9 be better?

I also really like the idea of doing an upside down type cake with the smaller tiers on bottom.

Thanks!

rigama Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 19

bump

Can someone please help me figure out what size tiers this cake should have? I want to do a mad hatter type cake to feed roughly 40-45 ppl. Would 6/9 be too much?

Thanks!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigama

65 yrs old
Funky fun
likes to go out dancing (not ballroom...clubbing icon_eek.gif )
Likes southwestern look
Dresses in bright colors
Leader in women's Self Expression and Leadership seminars
Life Coach
Has 2 small dogs

Thanks a million!

It sounds like this woman is RisqueBusiness. . .I'd PM her. icon_lol.gif

I think your idea is good for this woman. Make it modern-ish and hip.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for the serving chart! I've been looking for something like this!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 19

What a handy chart...thanks icon_biggrin.gif

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:03pm
post #11 of 19

I make topsy turvy cakes the VERY easy way. Between the layers I insert MMF covered styrofoam trimmed to an angle. You alternate the direction of the angles.
LL

AlamoSweets Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 19

Earlene has another more elaborate serving chart on her website. It gives bride size servings, groom size servings and the size of tiers to get to a certain number of servings. You may want to take a look at it.

rigama Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:00am
post #13 of 19

Wow, Alamosweets, that is a cute cake! But I don't quite understand. Do you mean that all the tiers are actually level-no carving at an angle, and this is an optical illusion created by the slopeing styrofoam? Pure genius!

I've seen Earlene's chart-It's a little too elaborate for my basic needs, but thanks so much for the reference.

AlamoSweets Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 4:17am
post #14 of 19

YES! You are absolutely correct and EVERYONE loves these cakes. They are assemble on-site since you can't dowel it. It is so easy and makes quite an impression. I hope you will try it. I think the same technique on a smaller cake would be fantastic!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:14am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

They are assemble on-site since you can't dowel it. !

what about adding a tall dowel to the bottom tier (including internal structure dowels in each cake ) and pre-drilling/doweling a hole in the styrofoams...then to assemble, lowering the cakes and dummies on over the tall dowel. i would be afraid of a slide or a bump from a fidgety child!

AlamoSweets Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:28am
post #16 of 19

I am not that good at lining everything up. I haven't had one fall yet but now I have just cursed myself icon_evil.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:28am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

YES! You are absolutely correct and EVERYONE loves these cakes. They are assemble on-site since you can't dowel it. It is so easy and makes quite an impression. I hope you will try it. I think the same technique on a smaller cake would be fantastic!

these types of tospy turvy cake can be assembled at home. i drove mine down several bumpy roads and it was fine. just make sure you dowell properly.

rigama Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 19

I'm going to try this method! I'm completely excited about it and think it'll sufficently wow my client. This one person could truly be the springboard to more business for me(I'm basically a hobbiest doing a cake a month or so) but I WANT to do more. I enjoy it so much.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent! Where do you buy styrofoam like this, and what can I cover it with?

Also, AlamoSweets, it looks like your cake was covered in BC. Is that right? And finally, what kind of angle to you cut on? Are they all roughly the same degree, just flipped around? Do I just get a saw and do some happy random cutting?

Thanks so much!

AlamoSweets Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 19

I buy my circles at Michaels. I sometimes glue two together to get more height. Cut them initially with a serrated knife and then rub them against each other to act like sand paper until they are even.

I did use fondant on mine. If you want to use them again wrap them first with plastic wrap and then MMF. I used BC on the other layers. I also use the same size styro under the same size cake layer. If you wanted to you could use a bigger styro and perhaps stick the wires with MMF stars into it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%