Paint Fondant And Use Luster Dust

Decorating By lizzyanne1 Updated 25 Jan 2007 , 12:04pm by Kellycreations

lizzyanne1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyanne1 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 27

How do you paint fondant and what do you use? Also, how do you use luster dust? And, where do you buy both of them? I would apprecitate any help with this. Thanks a million.

26 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 27

You can paint fondant with straight gel color (I prefer mixing it with vodka) or with the variets of dusts that are out there (just not the Wilton shimmer dust). Using straight color gel can take awhile to dry, so I like to mix mine with vodka (you can also use clear vanilla or lemon extract or gin or everclear--Don't use water!!). I just mix until I get a nice paint consistency and use a good quality brush and then paint away!

Luster dust can be either brushed on dry or painted on mixing with any of the above ingredients. It is just a matter of what look you would like.

Fondant and luster dust can be found pretty much on any online cake shop. I tend to go to the following shops:

Country Kitchen
The Baker's Kitchen
Cakes by Sam
Beryl's

And there are tons more!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 27

I agree with missyek. However, I like using lemon extract the best as it seems to flow better. Also leaves fewer streaks. I use vodka for gold or silver dust as sometimes they don't dry when using lemon extract. Here is a cake I did that was completely painted in luster dust.
LL

lizzyanne1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyanne1 Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 27

Thanks a million. What kind of paint brushes do you use and how long does it usually take to dry? This is very helpful.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 27

Yep, I use lemon juice and I bought all my luster dusts from caljava.com. I bought a pack of paintbrushes at Ben Franklin craft store and bought all my gel colors at Walmart. I do have some Americolor colors which I bought from CC.
icon_wink.gif

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyanne1

Thanks a million. What kind of paint brushes do you use and how long does it usually take to dry? This is very helpful.

I bought a pack of brushes a the craft store that was located in the cake isle that have nice soft bristles but Ive seen many people just using those cheap red, blue, yellow childrens brushes. I don't think I would use those for wet purposes because they will leave streaks. You could dust dry powder with them though. The better brushes won't leave nasty streaks when wet. I buy my luster dust at my local cake decor shop. Also, it usually takes maybe 15 minutes or half an hour for the paint to set. Not long really.

Fairytale Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyanne1

I use sable brushes, in a variety sizes. The reason I use sable is because they don't lose hair, which can end up on your cake. Well worth the investment. The luster/petal dust only takes a few minutes to dry. If it streaks (which it always does), I paint over it again after it dries. I do this as many times as necessary. If your painting a cake like mine, it takes HOURS. We're talking at least 8. However, if your just painting a cookie, it may only take a couple of minutes. It takes exactly the same as if you were coloring in a coloring book.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 6:20am
post #8 of 27

How do you get really good coverage when painting? Do you have to paint several coats? What should the consistency be like?
Thanks for your help.

Fairytale Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyw

How do you get really good coverage when painting? Do you have to paint several coats? What should the consistency be like?
Thanks for your help.

I must say it's a real challenge to get good coverage without going to far. If you apply to much the surface gets clumpy and gariny. To little and the fondant can show through and looks streaky. I apply one coat, let it dry, then apply subsequent coats as needed. It's almost impossible to describe the consistency. It definitely needs to be watery rather than thick. I once tried to measure the ration of lemon extract to luster dust but that didn't seem to work. Also, it depends on the color. Sorry I can't describe it better.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 27

Since we're on the subject I have a question: When painting a cake using lustre dust and lemon extract (or other clear alcohol), it's been my experience that:

A) the alcohol evaporates sooo fast in the container that I'm constantly adding to the lustre dust (hence using an inordinate amount of alcohol), and

B) After painting the cake using the alcohol and the alcohol evaporates from the cake, one is left with a powdery texture which comes off in your hands if you go anywhere near the cake.

So, my question(s) are -- how does one deal with these situations? Or is that just par for the course?

Fairytale Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Since we're on the subject I have a question: When painting a cake using lustre dust and lemon extract (or other clear alcohol), it's been my experience that:

A) the alcohol evaporates sooo fast in the container that I'm constantly adding to the lustre dust (hence using an inordinate amount of alcohol), and

B) After painting the cake using the alcohol and the alcohol evaporates from the cake, one is left with a powdery texture which comes off in your hands if you go anywhere near the cake.

So, my question(s) are -- how does one deal with these situations? Or is that just par for the course?

I don't leave my container open so I'm lnot having the evaportion problem. I take s syringe, extract out lthe amount that I need, then put the cap back on the bottle.

I've never had a powdery texture so not sure what's happening. Could it be you are applying too much dust? I'll be interested to see other responses.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale

I don't leave my container open so I'm lnot having the evaportion problem. I take s syringe, extract out lthe amount that I need, then put the cap back on the bottle.

I've never had a powdery texture so not sure what's happening. Could it be you are applying too much dust? I'll be interested to see other responses.

I take a small bowl (really small, like a finger bowl) and mix the dust and alcohol. When that didn't work, I use a small tupperware bowl with a plastic tight-fitting lid, which helped some, but not much.

As for the powdery texture, I always get that, no matter what alcohol I use. The only time I don't is on my gumpaste flowers when I steam them (not practical for a fondant cake). For gilding I switched to using an oil (veggie oil) and mixing with that. That works well, but it's only for very small areas -- I believe that would make the cake sticky.

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 27

are there other extracts that we can use besides lemon? Would peppermint work? or any others?

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 27

Can you taste the alcohol or extracts?

Fairytale Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

I take a small bowl (really small, like a finger bowl) and mix the dust and alcohol. When that didn't work, I use a small tupperware bowl with a plastic tight-fitting lid, which helped some, but not much.

As for the powdery texture, I always get that, no matter what alcohol I use. The only time I don't is on my gumpaste flowers when I steam them (not practical for a fondant cake). For gilding I switched to using an oil (veggie oil) and mixing with that. That works well, but it's only for very small areas -- I believe that would make the cake sticky.

I mix my dust in a painters pallet. It only holds about 2 teaspoons full. That's probably why I don't lose much. I also use the lemon extract so I suspect that's why I don't get that dusty residue. It mush have something to do with the oil.

EvieP606 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvieP606 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:21pm
post #16 of 27

WOW! This is answering all my questions too! Thanks for the post. You all are my heroes!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 6:19pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:

I mix my dust in a painters pallet. It only holds about 2 teaspoons full. That's probably why I don't lose much. I also use the lemon extract so I suspect that's why I don't get that dusty residue. It must have something to do with the oil.

I only use the oil for gilding, not painting. The gilding never leaves a dusty residue, only the alcohol mixtures do (Vodka, lemon extract, etc.) I'm just hesitant to do a whole cake with an oil-based "paint." I've also seen other top designers with this problem -- for example Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters fame talks about this in one of her videos. She had no solutions other than to be careful not to touch the cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

missyek Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:05pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

I mix my dust in a painters pallet. It only holds about 2 teaspoons full. That's probably why I don't lose much. I also use the lemon extract so I suspect that's why I don't get that dusty residue. It must have something to do with the oil.

I only use the oil for gilding, not painting. The gilding never leaves a dusty residue, only the alcohol mixtures do (Vodka, lemon extract, etc.) I'm just hesitant to do a whole cake with an oil-based "paint." I've also seen other top designers with this problem -- for example Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters fame talks about this in one of her videos. She had no solutions other than to be careful not to touch the cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns, I have the same problem too and I use vodka. I just keep my medicine dropper full of vodka handy and re-fill when I need too.

I was thinking of switching to using lemon extract because I hear such good things, but are you saying that it if you paint with it that it leaves the cake a little tacky? I guess I would love to understand the hesitation you have--I'm confused (which does not take much... icon_rolleyes.gif ). I guess it has never bothered me that i have had a residue left over on the cake--it is kinda that way when you do a dry dust too, right? If I touch a cake after I have dry dusted, I still get a little on me...

Oh and the alcohols do not leave a taste on the cake--for those that were asking.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:27pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

Quote:

Quote:

bobwonderbuns, I have the same problem too and I use vodka. I just keep my medicine dropper full of vodka handy and re-fill when I need too.

I was thinking of switching to using lemon extract because I hear such good things, but are you saying that it if you paint with it that it leaves the cake a little tacky? I guess I would love to understand the hesitation you have--I'm confused (which does not take much... icon_rolleyes.gif ). I guess it has never bothered me that i have had a residue left over on the cake--it is kinda that way when you do a dry dust too, right? If I touch a cake after I have dry dusted, I still get a little on me...

Oh and the alcohols do not leave a taste on the cake--for those that were asking.

Hey Missy, thanks for inquiring. I used to do what you do with the vodka and the eyedropper -- boy does that stuff evaporate FAST!! So that discouraged me. Then I moved to lemon extract. Same evaporation problem and I could never get the right consistency (either too soupy or too dry!) Both the vodka and lemon extract had a potent smell but only the lemon one had a lingering aftertaste on the cake. icon_confused.gif

I dry dust my gumpaste flowers all the time and steam them, so they get a glazed dew look on them. When I touch them before I steam them I get some on my hand but not very much. But that's dealing with gumpaste. On fondant it seems very powdery after the alcohol evaporates.

My concern about a dusty cake is that I don't want people getting dust all over themselves (how this would happen is if someone doesn't like fondant they peel it off -- using their hands.) Maybe I'm being a little weird about it (wouldn't be the first time... icon_rolleyes.gif) I just want to be able to present a painted cake with no concerns that people will get the dust on their hands. Put it this way, I'm such a slob in the kitchen that if it can get on me, it does!! icon_confused.gif

missyek Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:39pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:

My concern about a dusty cake is that I don't want people getting dust all over themselves (how this would happen is if someone doesn't like fondant they peel it off -- using their hands.) Maybe I'm being a little weird about it (wouldn't be the first time... icon_rolleyes.gif) I just want to be able to present a painted cake with no concerns that people will get the dust on their hands. Put it this way, I'm such a slob in the kitchen that if it can get on me, it does!! icon_confused.gif

I understand completely! And, oh, I really should wear a smock and face mask when I work--I'm terrible!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 11:43pm
post #21 of 27

hi, i made a gumpaste lady the other day and mixed my luster dust with a little crisco, it acctually worked, and seemed to have dried ok too, maybe this can help, it is thicker but i had no probs with it at all

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:02am
post #22 of 27

Oh my gosh...I'm getting so much information from this thread. Thanks to you all.
I have a question about the crisco and luster dust...did you mean you mixed the crisco, dust, and gumpaste, or used the crisco/dust misture to "paint" the gumpaste lady? It's probably a silly question icon_redface.gif I am always amazed at the experts on this board, and their willingness to share.
Thanks again, y'all thumbs_up.gif
Kathy

beesting Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:14am
post #23 of 27

I mixed a little crisco with the luster dust, like i said it is thicker but for the effect i was after it worked really well and there is no issue with flavor. i have also used essence mixed with luster dust and dried them in my food dehidrater. just experiment and see what you like

beesting Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:17am
post #24 of 27

sorry i pushed the submit button before i read what i had written.... i paint my gumpaste/fondant with the mix.... hope this all makes sence

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon

are there other extracts that we can use besides lemon? Would peppermint work? or any others?

any extracts that are high in alcohol work. the higher the better. peppermint is up there as one of the highest ...i think %95. lemon and orange are somewhere 85-95 (by memory, sorry i dont have it in front of me.)

i often hear people say vanilla but pure vanilla is only %35 and clear imitation is only about %25.

vodka is %80 (%40 proof- whatever that means).

i use lemon extract or vodka, depending on the cake flavors.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:18am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destini

Can you taste the alcohol or extracts?

nope. it is such a small amount that the flavor disapates too. nothing to be concerned over in my opinion...we are talking drops...that all pretty much evaporate.

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:04pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon

any extracts that are high in alcohol work. the higher the better. peppermint is up there as one of the highest ...i think %95. lemon and orange are somewhere 85-95 (by memory, sorry i dont have it in front of me.)

i often hear people say vanilla but pure vanilla is only %35 and clear imitation is only about %25.

vodka is %80 (%40 proof- whatever that means).

i use lemon extract or vodka, depending on the cake flavors.

Thanks Melysa!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%