Calling All Clay Gun Users!

Decorating By Tkeys Updated 27 Dec 2006 , 4:25pm by coolmom

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 14

I just bought a new clay gun, and tried to use it on a cake for the first time, and I had a lot of trouble. Here are my questions:

1. Can you use fondant (in particular, MMF) with the clay gun, or just gum paste?

2. If I am supposed to be able to use fondant, but couldn't get the MMF to go through the clay gun, what was wrong? Was my MMF too thick? If so, perhaps that would explain the other issue I was having . . . .

How do you use your clay gun with gum paste and/or fondant? I'm new at this technique, so any advice/input would be welcome. Thanks!

13 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 14

bump...I wanna know too. icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 14

I have used fondant, gumpaste and a 50/50 mix of the two kneaded together. If your fondant seems too stiff to go through there are two things that might help. Warm the fondant in the microwave, just a few seconds at a time until it feels soft and pliable. Another thing you can do is put a dab of Crisco on your finger and rub the inside of the extruder before filling with fondant, rub a bit on the plunger or press as well.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 1:20am
post #4 of 14

i find that the gumpaste is the easiest to use with a clay gun...i have a cheap plastic one and a good solid one with the crank handle and both are hard to get mmf through, if i manage too it comes out rough and seems to break very easy...

the gumpaste just glides through and comes out smooth...

thats my experience with the two...

kylie

Tkeys Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 6:06am
post #5 of 14

Thanks . . . so that is one for using fondant, and one against. anyone else?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 7:36am
post #6 of 14

Just came across a pictorial showing a fondant rope border being made using the Wilton cookie press and the "rope" disc:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/productexamples.htm

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 14

I have used fondant with an extruder a lot of times and it works fine. Just the really small holes are hard to get the fondant through. BUT I'm not using MMF, it's satin ice. Also, you can add a little bit of crisco to the fondant to soften it up a little. I started with a small metal one and after struggling to push fondant through I bought the larger plastic one with the crank handle. What I really want is a sugarpaste gun though!!!!...one that you squeeze and the fondant comes out the bottom.

Courtney

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 14

Hi, I had the same problem with MMF (I have the sugar craft one), so I decided that for my clay gun I will use only store bought fondant or gumpaste, those work like a charm! For some reason I haven't been able to achieve total perfection with home-made fondant. icon_rolleyes.gif I tried the microwave, the extra crisco and nothing... HTH!

Tkeys Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks, Gabby! I was wondering if I should get a better clay gun, but I think I'll try store bought fondant first. I just bought a simple metal clay gun from the store to start with . . . make sure I liked it and would use it before I invested in a nicer one. It was $8.99 and I had a 40% off coupon, so I figured it was a good starting point! But I was so frustrated that I couldn't get it to work, and then I had other problems using the fondant - it was not my day. Luckily, I was just making the cake for family who would say anything I gave them was wonderful, but I was so disappointed that everything went wrong and that I didn't have enough time to get it right.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 14

When I bought mine I had asked Sugarshack for recommendations on the best clay gun and I found out to get the black and red Sugarcraft brand clay gun...(Its spendy but it is an investment.)

I bought it and love it!!!!!! I have used it for almost every single cake I have made since purchasing it. The trick to using it with any fondant/gumpaste/MMF is to roll it into a thin rope and crisco it up good! See my cakes for proof! Used it for the rope on the saddlebag, the hooks on the fishing lure, the Japanese bamboo on the doll screen, the wings of the willow angel and Medusa's hair to mention a few.

Been thinking about getting another so I can use two different colors at the same time....... icon_wink.gif

Edited to add: BTW the rope is MMF icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 14

I used a cheap metal clay extruder for the first time in Sept. & didn't have too many prob. I agree on coating your gumpaste or fondant with shortening or the barrel. That seems to make mine work a whole lot easier. I use Fondx with mine and store bought gumpaste. I Love IT!! Keep working with it I think you'll find that you really like it once you find the trick that works for your extruder!!

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 3:54pm
post #12 of 14

I have the Sugarcraft one and I haven't had any trouble using it. It works great!!! Tiptop57 is right - just use plenty of crisco on the fondant (I use mmf) and grease the tube a little also - and it works like a charm!

I used it on the garland on the Christmas tree in my photos.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 14

Hi, I'm glad I could help... I have that $8 one as well and it works, it is a little hard on your hands but it does the job, and again... It works better with store-bought fondant. I still have to find out why is that MMF does not work!! Good luck and gotta love a suportive family! 2 thumbs up!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 14

I use my little $8.99 clay gun with MMF. The trick is coating everything in Crisco. Knead it into the MMF, coat the inside of the gun and the plunger with it, and then throw some more in just to make sure. The "slipperier" it is, the better! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%