I'm So Angry

Decorating By nglez09 Updated 29 Dec 2006 , 11:39pm by nglez09

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 4:43am
post #1 of 11

So I left the gumpaste out wrapped tightly in the seran wrap and in the bag.

And my mom. . .always wanting to be a part of everything, trying to meddle where she shouldn't. . .takes the gumpaste and puts it in the refridgerator.

I just took it out. icon_cry.gif I don't know if it's going to be okay or what. . . icon_cry.gif

10 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 4:53am
post #2 of 11

it will be fine.

you can leave it out to warm it up..but actually you should've stored it after it was wrapped in a zip locked baggie with a moisted paper towel tucked in..

you will just have to make sure that when it comes to room temp you kneed the heck out of it!

nglez09 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 5:00am
post #3 of 11

Boy, I got mad at my mom for no reason. icon_redface.gif She feels super bad. . .looks like I can get extra money for this week's allowance. icon_twisted.gif

It's wrapped in seran wrap tightly twice. I should wrap it with a paper towel first and then the seran wrap? Hmm. . .the bakery just gave it to me like that. . . dunce.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 5:01am
post #4 of 11

No, don't wrap it with a paper towel, the paste will pick up the lint from the towel, wrap it in saran and then put it in a ziplock plastic bag. Not a problem, I refrigerate mine all the time. It keeps longer that way. You can zap it a few seconds at a time in the microwave to speed the warming process, just don't over heat it and be careful of hot spots in the paste when kneading it. I wouldn't warm up the full amount of paste, just what you need for the project you are working on, keep the remainder sealed and refrigerated for another use. If the paste seem dry try putting a light film of Crisco on your hands before kneading and it should soften up easily.

nglez09 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 5:18am
post #5 of 11

Okay, thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 8:37am
post #6 of 11

Perhaps it depends on which recipe you make or which brand you buy.

You can refrigerate gumpaste:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm

There are so many myths.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 9:41am
post #7 of 11

lol...no..leave it wrapped....what you can do if you're not going to use it right away is place the wrapped gumpaste in a zip locked bag with a moist..not wet...paper towel.

It just keeps it from drying out as refrigerators draw the moisture out of things..

that's what RosemaryWatson does with hers...

actually she makes several batches of gumpaste, diff colors and wraps each batch in seran wrap and places it in a plastic box ...in which she puts a bit of moist paper towel.

Your gumpaste should be fine...as a matter of fact, you should or could be making your bases for your roses.

Remember to keep the cones about the size of a Hershey kiss.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Perhaps it depends on which recipe you make or which brand you buy.

You can refrigerate gumpaste:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm

There are so many myths.

Thanks, Jan! I love all the links you post! I am building up quite a library of all your research. You are so resourceful and helpful! I always look for your cute avatar and know the answer will be following! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 11

I keep mine for weeks and weeks in the fridge with no trouble. I wrap each ball of gumpaste individually in saran wrap. Then all the wrapped balls go into a ziploc bag with all the air squeezed out. Then that bag goes into a tupperware container. It will never ever dry out that way. You just let it come to room temp prior to using and proceed as normal.

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 11

i always keep mine in the fridge, take some out and then zap it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds (or longer depends on how much of course) and knead away.. also knead criso into it and maybe even a drop of water.

nglez09 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the info!

JanH, thanks for the link! I just found out why my petals were cracking. icon_mad.gif Oh well, until next time I'll use Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%