Help Please! No Fail Sugar Cookies

Baking By Anjoli Updated 1 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm by ladyonzlake

Anjoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anjoli Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 15

i think i failed.
luckily i made 2 batches, and one seems alright so far. the first batch seems really dry, and they won't roll out smoothly. is there anything i can do to fix this? is it safe to add water or something to the dough to maybe make it more moist or something?
i haven't even baked them yet, and i'm already having trouble! lol.

any help is greatly appreciated!!

if it can't be fixed, at least i have one batch...hopefully.

and another question--is there a difference between these cookies made with butter and made with margarine?

thanks so much!!!
anjoli.

14 replies
Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 15

I have used both but not in my initial recipe. I used butter in the initial recipe but if i find the mix a little to dry I have put in a teaspoon or two of margarine and it seems to make it more pliable. Are you rolling it out between two sheets of parchment paper that way you don't have to add flour as that makes it really dry. I always roll my dough between two sheets of parchment and never add flour. Only once did I need to add the extra margarine I think I may have measured the flour a little more freely than I should have . I would not add water to this as it will not turn out well. Good luck, Merry Christmas and I hope this works for you.
Kathy

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 15

I seldom add the full amt of flour. I add flour until the dough feels right, usually have about a cup of flour left. I also roll mine out between parchment paper. Good luck!

Anjoli Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 1:18am
post #4 of 15

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 4:18am
post #5 of 15

I just made my first batch of dough. I sifted the flour and it is really nice and moist. I'll let you know how they turn out. Maybe by sifting the flour first I ended up adding a lot less.

Judi

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 4:22am
post #6 of 15

Pillsbury.

giovanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giovanna Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 4:58am
post #7 of 15

Mine is a tad bit dry but it ends up nice and moist after I work it for a bit. I also roll it out using parchment paper and then chill.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 15

No fail sugar cookies are suppossed to seem a little dry when rolling them out. I know that once refridgerated, they seem hard and dry but just work with the dough, they will turn out. I use silpat to roll mine out. I did not like the consistency either, so after several times of making them, I tried a differant recipe and WHAT A MISTAKE! The dryness of NFSC allows the cookies to hold their shape and not spread, which is especially important for detailed cookies. The cookies made with the other recipe spread a bit and were not as detailed, I will now ALWAYS stick to the NFSC. I would not reccomend using margarine as this does not taste as good and margarine has more water content which could mess with things! Good luck!

megamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamere Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 8:07am
post #9 of 15

Just an idea regarding the parchment paper- I put saran wrap over my cookie dough when I roll it. Saran seems to be cheaper than parchment. icon_smile.gif

Anjoli Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks, everyone. I ended up using the second batch, and they were awful...the taste alone. It could be because I used margarine instead of butter though, so thanks for helping me with that.

I really want to make pretty sugar cookies, so I hope that next time I attempt this, they will turn out better.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 15

i have done these cookies a few times. They don't always turn out good for me. I have noticed that i'm really bad at following the recipes to the T. Or forgetting to add something. that's when they come out crumbly & dry. icon_redface.gif I have noticed sometimes i don't add the full amount of butter it's required, simply cause i get confused w/measuring the bars. I learned i need to make sure i let the butter & sugar cream well. make sure i don't forget the egg. It's terrible, but even with the recipes in front of i never fail to forget one little tiny small detail. icon_rolleyes.gif

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 15

Using real butter is going to make a huge differance in taste, at least in my opinion!!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 15

Try Martha Stewarts sugar cookie recipe instead. icon_biggrin.gif

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 15

I used this recipe last night. These are the cookies that came out for the first time (ever) for me. Try using real butter, my husband and daughter love them. I am new to cookies so if I can make these look pretty I am sure you can!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #15 of 15

I ALWAYS use Butter in cookies...it's the only way to go!
Jacqui

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%