Question - How Did You Learn To Decorate

Decorating By nickluke0705 Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 3:32pm by STX44703

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 7:09am
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by frulund2600

I went to one course and learned how to pipe flowers. The rest I have learned by coming here on CC and another forum here in Scandinavia, reading books and meeting with other decorators.

Well I must say that you certainly know what you're doing. HOLY MOLY!!!!! Beautiful and precise technique!!!

Amy

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:22pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frulund2600

I went to one course and learned how to pipe flowers. The rest I have learned by coming here on CC and another forum here in Scandinavia, reading books and meeting with other decorators.

Well I must say that you certainly know what you're doing. HOLY MOLY!!!!! Beautiful and precise technique!!!

Amy

thanks icon_redface.gif you are too kind

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:50pm
post #33 of 37

I agree with everyone else - your cakes are wonderful and your talent is very evident.
I have never taken a class, although I am not ruling it out. I had always baked my daughters' birthday cakes, but as far as "decorating" - nothing other than basic frosting. In June of 2005, after seeing the beautiful cakes that my oldest daughter was creating, I tried my hand at a fondant covered cake. I've been hooked ever since!!! I've learned so many techniques and gotten so much inspiration from Cake Central and the many talented decorators who are always so willing to share their talent!!
I love the hobby that has become almost an obsession!! I want to make a cake for everyone and every ocassion!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:03pm
post #34 of 37

Self taught unless you count the Wilton course at Sears I took in 5th grade almost 20 years ago! They wouldn't let me sign up at my age, so my Mom signed up and went with me, but I did all the work, she just sat next to me and cleaned up my messes.

I actually just found the original pan on eBay that I made my mother buy me when I was in 4th grade that started it all. One of the Wilton kits with the foil pans, a big clown head, it was unopened after all these years! I couldn't stop myself and had to buy LOL!

This site certainly helps a lot!

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:11pm
post #35 of 37

I tinkered around with cake decorating about 15 years ago when my kids were young. My real cake decorating skills have just started getting developed when I started taking the Wilton Classes in September of last year. I just finished Course 3 and can't wait to take the new one.
Bradymom

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:21pm
post #36 of 37

I started decorating after I bought a cake from a lady who decorated cakes as a "hobby"!! It was a stacked fondant covered whimsical cake with gumpaste calla lillie; the cake was beautiful and she only charged me 35.00!!!! icon_surprised.gif I told her she should have charged me waaaaayyyy more than 35.00!!!

Well, needless to say, that cake got me interested in decorating and I always wanted to learn how to bake, so I took Wilton I in July 2006 and I've been hooked ever since!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I've got a long way to go and I need to stop being so scared to try stuff!!! Can't wait until I get as good as you guys!!!!

STX44703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STX44703 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:32pm
post #37 of 37

I thought I would enjoy learning to decorate cakes since we always need one for family events. So I took Wilton 1 in October 2006 and Wilton 2 in Nov 2006. I AM HOOKED!!! I LOVED IT!!! I will be starting Wilton 3 this month and can't wait.

And CC has helped me sooo much with cake ideas!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%