Tinkerbell's Wings

Decorating By luv2cake Updated 7 Aug 2005 , 1:26pm by luv2cake

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 2:12am
post #1 of 9

I am doing a cake with Tinkerbell on it. I have an invitation that the customer gave me as a guide for the cake. I was wondering how I would make her wings look see-through. She is placed in front of some flowers and leaves, but her wings in the picture are a bit transparent. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brandi

8 replies
janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 2:22am
post #2 of 9

I just did a tinkerbell cake and it is posted under my name. I did the wings blue. I wish I had done them lighter but it works. Do a search in the gallery here and you can find lots of others beautiful tinkerbells.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 3:07am
post #3 of 9

At Christmas, I always have a problem with the "glass" look to my gingerbread houses...until someone told me to use sheet gelatin!

It's fantastic! It comes in a box and they are thin thin sheets like lasagna noodles. You can cut them with regular scissors and just adhere them to the inside of the house's window cutouts with a bit of royal icing around the frame.

The one thing I would suggest for your wings though...I don't think it holds up in the fridge too well??

luv2cake Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 11:50am
post #4 of 9

Ahhh, both great ideas. I would definitely like to check out the sheet gelatin. I wonder where I can find that??

Thanks!

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 9

In the Wilton III class, we had to make butterflies with wings made from tulle. We had to lay the tulle over a pattern for wings and trace over the pattern with royal icing. It was quite time consuming and tedious--we used a tip #1! It had to dry for a few days and then we attached it to the body of the butterfly with royal as well.
I'm not sure how much time you have to do this, but it was beautifull when we were finished.
I would suggest making extras b/c they do tend to break easily. icon_sad.gif

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 9

With gelantine there is another possiblity: take an uncovered wire and make a "loop", this can be made in every shape you like. The loop has to be closed and must lie flat (place it on a wax-paper). Heat the gelantine until it´s melted, but be careful not to overheat it. Now you can add a little luster dust to make it "twinkeling". Pour the gelantine carefully into the loop (the best way is to use a droplet (hope it´s the right word)) so that the loop is completly filled with it. Leave it to dry for a minimum 24 hours. Than you can take the loop of and you will have your gelantine wing. The edges can be cut with scissors to make them even.

I hope the description will work.

Best wishes

Tuggy

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 9

You could also use wafer/rice paper.

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 8:34am
post #8 of 9

hi luv2cake
i hope u can read spanish but if u cant let me know but what i wanted to know are the flowers on candles clear enough but without color ( like stained glass)
sending a picture of what Tuggy is telling u hey tupgy another way is dipping the wire like dipping a wand into a bottle of soap to blow bubbles than stand the wire on a piece of foam to dry i made some ive also dipped in the wire couple of time to see what happen luv check it out u will have fun
http://www.gelartfloral.com/recetas2/Flores.htm

u might have to go down that page and press the number 2 and look for a red candle with flowers on it
click on picture and get large image

luv2cake Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks Flowergel.

I am totally interested in those directions. Actually my husband is Mexican and speaks fluent Spanish. I will have him translate the instructions for me. I am really excited about it too, because those flowers look so neat!

Thanks. I will have to give it a try.

Brandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%