They Can't Be Serious

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm by Erdica

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 23

i'm in a weird situation too. My DH's friends are getting married, and are moving back to girl's parents house to save money. Sunday, they tell me the parents had a couch set they want to get give away to make space (hardly used) and asked if we wanted it. I told DH the next day and he says OK, so he calls his friend to say we'll take it. I was out, so when I get home, he says they want me to make their cake, and for me to call them back. Sounds good right? Well, I'm talking to the friend, and he says, since they're giving us the couch set, they want me to make their cake for free!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? icon_eek.gif
DH was so tapedshut.gif pissed, when I told him what they wanted - he says screw the couch (we don't really need it) and he's going to call his friend tonight- I'm so scared he's going to cuss him out. I swear, last night everytime I thought DH was asleep, he'd wake and say "Did they really ask you that?" He just can't believe they'd ask such a question.

22 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 23

Well at least you know why they thought of you to give the couch to. icon_lol.gif

I wonder how big and elaborate they want their cake to be, probably worth far more than a used couch that might not be something you would pick. icon_rolleyes.gif

And what does "barely used" mean? Everyone has a different idea of that.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 23

Maybe they didn't go about it the right way...but it kind of sounds like they just wanted to make a trade. Sometimes when people get something in their head or plan something out they get excited and it comes out wrong. It doesn't sound like something to get to overly upset about. I would just say no if you don't want to.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 23

Some people amaze me. Keep us posted on what happens.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 23

Definately not an equal trade...

They get to customize their cake and you end up with a used couch that is probably not something you would have chosen for yourself at the store!

Perhaps tell them the couch is worth a $100 according the want-ads so you'll take $50 off of the price of the cake, since you are customizing the cake and they cannot customize the couch.

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 23

I don't know about you but I am SERIOUSLY getting sick and tired of my friends and family EXPECTING free cake. and they get so darn picky and elaborate in their ideas!!! I am really at my whits end.... I feel for you sista!!

whitesoxlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitesoxlover Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 23

my teacher had warned us on the last day of our class, that family and friends are the worst, with expecting freebies! i am finding that to be true.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Perhaps tell them the couch is worth a $100 according the want-ads so you'll take $50 off of the price of the cake, since you are customizing the cake and they cannot customize the couch.

Good one!

Guess you don't have a cake you don't want anymore that they can use for their wedding.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 23

[quote="SugarBakers05"]
DH was so tapedshut.gif pissed, when I told him what they wanted - he says screw the couch (we don't really need it) and he's going to call his friend tonight- I'm so scared he's going to cuss him out[quote]

Let him!!!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 23

It seems very obvious to me that this was their plan. Offer the couch set to you, wait until you accept, then hit you with the now you can pay us back by making our wedding cake for free ploy. If it were me I'd cart the couch set, if you already have it, right back to them and tell them to call to set up an appointment to talk cake at a later date. That is, if you're interested in doing it. I surely would not do the trade thing OR give them a discount. They should have been up front with you in the beginning and not pulled this stunt. Give em an inch and they'll take a mile, geesh! If there's one thing I cannot stand is people being sneaky!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 23

I agree with ge978...I think they were meaning well in the couch/cake trade, but they went about it in the wrong way. And also keep in mind that they maybe don't have any idea how much you normally charge for cake!

I say you at least take a look at the couch, see if you want it, and then have your DH tell them that you can do their wedding cake at a discount if they would like (that is IF you take their couch mind you!!). Maybe draw a few sketches for them so they can get an idea what they can expect in their price range. HTH!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:52pm
post #12 of 23

I agree with Debbie157 - let your husband take the lead on this. It's his friend that is trying to take advantage of you. You know if they had said that maybe one day you can make them a cake in exchange for the couch - that wouldn't be so bad, but the fact that they said you could do their wedding cake - I might be cynical - but they are trying to take advantage.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 23

Thet are likely sooo focused on saving money that they are thinking hey...this is a good idea!!!!

We had casual friends ask us when they were getting married if instead of presents everyone could bring pot luck and I could coordinate it!!!!!!

I really felt.........they should do what they could afford and stuck to that.
Felt awkward though.....

I would try to keep peace....perhaps tell them that you appreciated their offer for the couch and understand they want to save money every way they can....so it might be best to sell their couch to get ahead a little.
You would be happy to recommend cakes within their price range (Costco, Sam's club) or give some poiinters to the bridemaids on making a cupcake display. If they decide they want a custom cake, you would be able to give them $100 off the cost as your wedding gift to them.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

It seems very obvious to me that this was their plan. Offer the couch set to you, wait until you accept, then hit you with the now you can pay us back by making our wedding cake for free ploy. If it were me I'd cart the couch set, if you already have it, right back to them and tell them to call to set up an appointment to talk cake at a later date. That is, if you're interested in doing it. I surely would not do the trade thing OR give them a discount. They should have been up front with you in the beginning and not pulled this stunt. Give em an inch and they'll take a mile, geesh! If there's one thing I cannot stand is people being sneaky!

Stole the words rightout of my mouth!

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 23

You guys are cracking me up with the comments LOL!! icon_lol.gif I love the comment PastryJen made about how I might have a used cake lying around that I can trade! I tell you- you hear about so many stories about people's expectations, and when it happens to you, it floors you. I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Stole the words rightout of my mouth!

ditto that. It's SNEAKY. and manipulative!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:39pm
post #17 of 23

calling friend...."Hey man! We need to talk. You know the couch set you asked if we would like? I thought you were just needing to get rid of it to make room. We agreed thinking it was going to help ya'll out. We really don't NEED a couch. "Sugar" and I don't think it's a good idea to trade a wedding cake for a couch but I'm sure if your fiance would like to discuss the matter, "Sugar" work with her to help her find something within ya'll's budget."

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:22pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

calling friend...."Hey man! We need to talk. You know the couch set you asked if we would like? I thought you were just needing to get rid of it to make room. We agreed thinking it was going to help ya'll out. We really don't NEED a couch. "Sugar" and I don't think it's a good idea to trade a wedding cake for a couch but I'm sure if your fiance would like to discuss the matter, "Sugar" work with her to help her find something within ya'll's budget."

Wow! That sounds like a really good message to leave! icon_lol.gif I actually thought that was the OP for a second! LOL icon_lol.gif

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 23

I was thinking about this and how much work it takes to make a cake, let alone a wedding cake. They might have well called you up and said "hey I have a free couch you can have if you want it. All you have to do get it is come over clean my house from top to bottom, move all the other furniture in the room out of the way, move it to your house, come back to my house and put all my remaining furniture exactly where I want it and then clean my house again cus you know you tracked footprints while doing all this"... doesn't sound like a free couch to me icon_wink.gif

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 23

Such funny comments!! You would be lucky to get $50 out of a used couch at a yard sale where I live. Even if they have good intentions, this doesn't even come close to an even exchange. Friends, what would we do without them. icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm
post #21 of 23

CarolAnn -

That's exactly what I was thinking! I got halfway through the first paragraph, and smelled the fish!

LOL!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm
post #22 of 23

IF they told you what kind of cake they wanted and for how many, I would give them a written estimate of the cost, per person, charges for deco, time, delivery, etc. It is very obvious that this couple do not have any clue how much work a cake is. So kindly hand them the estimate (w/a discount if you want the couch), so they can realize what it is they are asking. They may back out and your husband won't have to get out his can of whoop a-- or they may end up paying for the cake and you make some extra cash. Voila!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm
post #23 of 23

I can't wait to hear how this ends. My DH would be FURIOUS! He's one of those people who doesn't really have an internal censor.

Keep us posted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%