Look At This Cake And Tell Me What To Do! Please!

Decorating By lilmansmum Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 1:54am by di60

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 17

I've just recently started trying to use fondant. I've tried MMF and Toba Garrett's fondant. I have a terrible time with it sticking when I roll it out, no matter which recipe I use. I've greased my hands up really good with Crisco, as well as my countertop and rolling pin. I've also tried using plenty of powedered sugar to keep it from sticking. If I ever do finally get it rolled out without sticking, it has powedered sugar all over it that I can't really get completely off...especially on dark colored fondant, like the Snickers bar cake I just did this weekend. (See picture below.) It's hard to see it in the picture, but there are several spots of powdered sugar on the fondant that I just could not get off. I have this trouble every time. If I could keep my fondant from sticking, I wouldn't have to use so much sugar....but it always seems to stick, no matter how much crisco or sugar I use. I love the look of fondant, but I'm getting REALLY tired of all the trouble I'm having. Any advice on how to get rid of that "powdery" look on my dark fondant? Or how to get rid of the sticking problem?
This pic is also posted in my pictures.
LL

16 replies
AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 17

Your cake looks great! I keep flipping my fondant over with every couple passes with my rolling pin and I find this helps tremendouly! HTH

Elle

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 17

first off...that cake looks A-mazing... i personally have never used MMF, but when i use fondant i try to pick it up or run a metal yard stick under it everytime i roll it b/c if i don't it inevitably sticks. I wonder if cocoa would work like powdered sugar to "flour" your board, just thought of that right now

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 17

WOW! really neat cake ! I usually have "sugar" marks on my chocolate fondant cakes too.. I don't know what to do about it...

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 17

Dip a small paint brush into vodka or lemon extract and brush the powdered sugar away. Do not use a "wet" brush, you only want/need the brush to be dampened.

lilmansmum Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 17

Ahhh, a damp brush, huh? I'll have to try that. It seems like the bigger piece of fondant I need, the more trouble I have. ......sticking, tearing, falling apart icon_mad.gif It's driving me nuts. I also wondered about using cocoa instead of powdered sugar to roll it in...anyone ever tried that? Thanks for the tips...Keep 'em coming. I need all the advice I can get!

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 17

I wonder if your fondant is just to wet, it really shouldnt be sticking that much and I also suggest using only the crisco, If you feel like you really like to use powder than use only that not the 2 together, and instead of ps use cornstarch.. but I really think your fondant it too wet try adding more ps to your fondant and kneeding it in until it doesnt stick like that, it really shouldnt stick that much at all. Your cake is awesome, its scarey to think what you could accomplish with out the trouble you were having.. you definelty got talent.

lilmansmum Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 17

Ahhh, a damp brush, huh? I'll have to try that. It seems like the bigger piece of fondant I need, the more trouble I have. ......sticking, tearing, falling apart icon_mad.gif It's driving me nuts. I also wondered about using cocoa instead of powdered sugar to roll it in...anyone ever tried that? Thanks for the tips...Keep 'em coming. I need all the advice I can get!

Teekakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 17

The only fondant I use is Toba's recipe and it should not be sticky to the point you are describing. I only use crisco on my hands and mat when working with it and have never had a need to use ps or cornstarch. It is a softer fondant than purchased brands like Satin Ice, Pettinice or Wiltons. If you are having a tearing problem try rolling it out a bit thicker. Maybe you are just rolling it out to thin.

Teekakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 17

I also meant to say; To fix the sticky problem knead in 1/4 cup of powdered sugar at the time until it is no longer sticky.

lilmansmum Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 17

Teekakes, thanks for all your help......Ok, I'll try rolling it thicker. And I would LOVE it if I didn't need ANY powdered sugar! I do like Toba's recipe better than the MMF. I like the consistency better. I roll mine out on my countertop. Could that be part of the problem? Should I be using a mat instead? When you make Toba's fondant, how much of the bag of sugar do you end up using? I know it can vary. I also have trouble picking up the fondant after I get it rolled out....especially if it is a big piece. I roll it around my pin and a lot of the time it will tear...again maybe it's the thickness problem. icon_rolleyes.gif

SweetVictoria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetVictoria Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 17

First of all maybe you can see mistakes that the picture is not picking up on. That Snickers Bar looks wonderful! As far as your sticking problems what I have to offer will only apply to mmf due to the fact that is all the fondant I have ever used. I make my fondant per the instructions. My board is well greased when I am working the fondant. I let it rest in as air tight of conditions as possible over night. Then I grease the board and hands again, re-work it until it is smooth and pliable. I will even nuk it for a few seconds at a time if necessary. With all that prep done then I put corn starch on the same board. Just make sure there aren't any small pieces to get into the fondant. By this time my hands and board do not have much crisco on them but everything that will touch the fondant from here on will have corn starch on it. Part way through the rolling process I turn the fondant so I know that it is not sticking. I personally do not like I flip it. That would just cause me problems. I have tried powered sugar but it didn't work as well for me as corn starch. HTH

Teekakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 17

I use the large Wilton fondant mat to roll out my large pieces and smaller silicon mats for the smaller pieces such as strips, flowers, etc... NOTHING sticks to the silicon mats and they do not need anything put on them. The Wilton mat has to be lightly greased with crisco before rolling out the fondant or it will stick. You can also go to a fabric store and purchase a piece of vinyl to roll your fondant on......again, fondant does not stick to it either.
Using mats enables you to lay the fondant over the cake with the mat attached. Then you peel off the mat. This works very well when using large pieces of fondant. I used this method a couple of days ago on a Pregnant Belly cake and have used it on my rounds as well.

I always have to add extra ps to my batches. We live in the very humid SE Texas! I double the recipe and have to use 2 extra cups of ps every time. So, I use 4 pounds plus 2 cups for a double batch.

Do try rolling it a bit thicker and see if that helps you with your tearing issue. It should not be tearing as easily as you describe it to be.

lilmansmum Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:27pm
post #14 of 17

Teekakes, I looked at your pregnant belly cake....Good job! That is exactly how I want my fondant to look. Nice and shiny with NO ps spots. And that was a dark pink fondant you were using....with no powdered sugar specks in it! lol That's what I'm talking about! My next attempt at fondant, I will use Toba's recipe with your suggestions and hope it turns out better. I'll definitely purchase the Wilton mat or some vinyl. I already have a silicone mat I can use for the littler stuff. I saved your pregnant belly photo....I may try your version sometime in the future. Very cute!

lilmansmum Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 17

Oh and I also forgot to say....I LOVE the idea of putting the fondant on the cake with the mat still attached! That would eliminate the problems with draping it over the rolling pin. I was just about to give up on fondant altogether, but maybe this will help. Yay!

Teekakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 17

Using the mats and nothing but crisco gives the fondant a beautiful finish in my opinion. Once you get used to working with Toba's recipe and get it down perfectly for you, you are going to REALLY love it!

Thanks for the compliment on the pregnant belly cake. It was a lot of fun to make and the MIL that picked it up just loved it.
You will not have any trouble making this cake when you decide to.....your work is very nice and the Snickers cake is terrific!

Fondant is F U N ! ! ! ! ! ! icon_lol.gif

di60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
di60 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #17 of 17

Using fondant, I've had to use the 'dampened brush trick' many times. Works like a charm.Wait until you get the fondant in place and the cake basically finished before you do the dampened brush trick because you'll only need to brush the exposed sections and not the whole cake. Good Luck! Oh, and your Snickers cake is awesome. Great job! di

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%