This Is The Reason I Joined Cc...

Decorating By daisy114 Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm by dsimkovic

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:10am
post #1 of 14

Without getting into anything too personal, since my son was born it was so important to me to make him an incredible first birthday cake. I joined cc to get tips, ideas and advice and all of you have been amazing with your help.

The cake below was for my son's first bday which was also a Halloween party. I learned A LOT from this cake and will use it towards two cakes I have to do in the next two weeks.

Anyway thanks again and comments on what I could have done to imporve would be appreciated.
LL

13 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:14am
post #2 of 14

I love it--I'm partial to the bright colors. Great job.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #3 of 14

You did a beautiful job! The icing is smooth the colors are great don't really think there's anything that needs improvement. I joined CC about the same time as my daughters 7th birthday and I made her taira cake on a pillow, couldn't have done it without all the great people here. Judging by your post it was a very special birthday and you made a very special cake.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #4 of 14

Well, you accomplished what you wanted. It is an incredible cake.

Your colors are so pretty and your icing is really smooth. Your characters are just so cute. Great job!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #5 of 14

It looks like it came straight from the Wilton Yearbook! Great Job!!

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #6 of 14

I think that this cake is fabulous! Way better than the 1st birthday cake I made my son just a few months ago! I love the sesame st sign, that is innovative and adorable! Great job.
The one think I'm curious about is the 2-toned Elmo. His body matches the colour of the border, so were the legs, arms, and head made at another time? I don't notice any difference in the cookie monster one. I'm sorry, I'm not being picky, but colour differences jump out to me (i'm an artist... perhaps a downfall). I'm just wondering why the difference is there.
It is a really great cake! Did your baby eat it up? Mine wouldn't even touch my cake haha, I was disappointed that I don't have any typical baby with cake all over the place photos. Ah well, maybe next year!

daisy114 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:35am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

I think that this cake is fabulous! Way better than the 1st birthday cake I made my son just a few months ago! I love the sesame st sign, that is innovative and adorable! Great job.
The one think I'm curious about is the 2-toned Elmo. His body matches the colour of the border, so were the legs, arms, and head made at another time? I don't notice any difference in the cookie monster one. I'm sorry, I'm not being picky, but colour differences jump out to me (i'm an artist... perhaps a downfall). I'm just wondering why the difference is there.
It is a really great cake! Did your baby eat it up? Mine wouldn't even touch my cake haha, I was disappointed that I don't have any typical baby with cake all over the place photos. Ah well, maybe next year!

Yeah, Elmo is dressed up as a pumpkin so the body the border were bright orange but for some reason it kept coming out closer to red in the pics. Wasn't a great pic but the body has lines carved in it like a pumpkin.

Baby had a cookie monster cake on his actual bday and it took him forever to even touch it with his finger!

daisy114 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:37am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

Yeah, Elmo is dressed up as a pumpkin so the body the border were bright orange but for some reason it kept coming out closer to red in the pics. Wasn't a great pic but the body has lines carved in it like a pumpkin.

Baby had a cookie monster cake on his actual bday and it took him forever to even touch it with his finger!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #9 of 14

This is a wonderful cake for your baby!!!! It is so pretty with the lovely bright colours and it is really well done and of course very special!!!

It is a wonderful reason to join CC and thanks for sharing your picture!!

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:58am
post #10 of 14

Ah, that makes much more sense. Actually, my camera tends to do the same thing! With that in mind, it is a much more impressive cake than I first gave credit for! icon_biggrin.gif And it was great then!

My little one didnt want to touch it either, haha. I did a big Diego cake for everyone, then did a Rescue pack cake just for him to smash around... and eventually my husband ended up taking that one for lunch to work.

Was it one of your first cakes to do? I've done silly cakes in the past, but am just now finding the whole passion behind it. I want to be that mom that makes all the cool birthday cakes when they grow up icon_biggrin.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:29am
post #11 of 14

I love it!! What a great job you did! thumbs_up.gif

I wish I knew about CC when my kids were little....actually, I don't know if CC has been around that long! Oh well, I'm making up for it now!

Kathi

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm
post #12 of 14

Great job!! I really like the Happy Birthday around the bottom layer. Just putting it in a different area really makes this cake unique. I think the cake looks great. I hope your son enjoyed it!

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 14

congrats! love your cake!

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 14

I know exactly what you mean about the 1st Birthday thing! I was the same way, because my mom always talked about all the work she put into MY first birthday.

I think your cake looks fantastic! That'll be something you'll be proud of for years to come. Great job! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%