Chocolate Leaves

Decorating By Raisen Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm by vdrsolo

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 4

Any tips on how to make chocolate leaves-without breaking them? I've brushed, thickly, chocolate on the backs of fake leaves.....but they break when I try to peel off the leave from the chocolate. I really want to do this...I think they look so realistic....!! Would spraying leaves with a nonstick spray help?

Thanks all,

3 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 4

Never tried using fake leaves but I would think you would need to spray the leaves first.

I only make chocolate leaves by painting the chocolate on lemon, lime or orange leaves. Usually the oil in the leaves keeps the chocolate from sticking and by painting the chocolate onto the back side you get beautiful veining.

I love to use white chocolate - usually marbled with red or pink to make poinsettias at Christmas icon_eek.gif

I grow my own citrus so I don't have to worry about pesticides but it is something to be considered.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:47am
post #3 of 4

I too make chocolate leaves and store them for quite some time. I use the back of my rose leaves and get lots of different sizes that way. I had to hurry out this weekend and grab what I needed before our first frost. I agree that fake ones would probably be difficult to peel off, and the chocolate must be thick enough that they won't break. The recipe I use gets very thin when hot and I almost flood the chocolate on the leaves rather than paint it. I get a smoother finished product that way and I love using them on desserts. You will have some break no matter what you do, as it is hard to tell sometimes if you have enought on the back side of the leaves.
Lily

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 4

I just use candy clay and the JEM gumpaste leave cutters and vein them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%