Uh-Oh...help Please

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 7:07pm by sillychick

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 5

Oh yikes...I just followed a cake extender recipe, and uhh didn't realise that the info said it would turn 1 cake mix into the equivalent of 1.5 cake mixes...so I doubled the ingredients as I was making an 11'x15" cake -meaning that I pretty much poured the equivalent of 3 cake mixes into my 11"x15" pan icon_surprised.gificon_redface.gif

What do I do...I have maybe about 1/4" between the batter and the top of the pan. I put it in the oven about 12 minutes ago...should I scoop out some of the excess batter?

4 replies
sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #2 of 5

Hopefully you're baking on the top rack and you could line the lower rack with foil in case it runs over? I'd hate to disturb a cake that had already started baking. You can always make cake balls if you have a super tall cake in the end!

CakeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeliciousCreations Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:15am
post #3 of 5

I would take a ladel and carefully scoop out the unnecessary batter. I have had to do this myself once or twice. I just have to be careful not to scrape the bottom or the sides of the pan.. so that my flour coating doesn't come off. hope this helps..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:47am
post #4 of 5

Go with silly chick's ideas of the sheet in case of overflow. If you didn't use baking strips, you are going to end up with very baked corners and a very underdone center. If you used baking strips, it may take a little longer to bake, but the cake should turn out ok.

For future reference.......

I grease-only-no-flour the pan, bake at 325, and use baking strips. My cakes rise higher than the pan and they don't overflow....it's just a 1/4" or more of "cake wall" above the top edge of the pan.

I stopped flouring my pans 25 years ago. The flour creates a flour-film that contributes to crumbs in your icing, and flour spots - white spotches of flour that perhaps didn't bake properly, plus if you overbake even a little, the flour adds a 'scorched' taste.

Plus, the cakes rise higher when it's greased-only. The heat source, when baking, is at the bottom of the oven, pushing the batter up the sides of the pan. when the sides of the pan are greased-only, the batter slides up the sides much easier. A floured side causes the batter to "grab" at the sides instead of sliding freely up the wall of the cake pan.

The "science" of baking, according to Debi! thumbs_up.gif

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 5

Hey newlyweds! I'm sure curious how this turned out for you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%