Design Transfer

Baking By saberger Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm by IrishCookie

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 20

Hi! My son wants power ranger operation overdrive cookies for his b-day party. I thought it would be cute to make them and put them in the goody bag. I do not want to use edible image if I don't have to and thought it would be cool to use an oval cookie cutter and then pipe the face/mask design onto the cookie. But I am a LOUSY artist. Still draw stick figures!

So, my question is this: is there a way to do a royal icing transfer or something of the sort? Or use piping gel for the outline, put it on the cookie, and then pipe? I only know how to do this kind of thing with BC and on cakes. Or am I destined to have to use Edible images?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and ideas!

19 replies
aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 20

Could you do the mask like they do with the royal icing letters? Print off a copy of the image cover with waxed paper and then trace the mask? Just a thought - I by no means have any idea if this would work but hopefully someone out there might know. I'd be curious about this also! Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

mjduphilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjduphilly Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 20

Hello!

Okay, this is my first attempt with a buttercream icing transfer. I did the transfer using the wax paper technique and then once on the cake, I retraced the image using the new glitter gel icing. Now that I did it once, I am pleased but would use less icing on the back of the image.

Be nice...but tell me what you think!

mj
LL
LL

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 20

It looks great, nice job, I love doing BCT they are so much easier than freehand drawing,

I was also curious, anyone done this on cookies with royal icing?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #5 of 20

I had a logo for a business that I wanted recreate on a cookie. I cut out a stencil and used the Wilton spray color stuff to get the design on the cookie. Then I piped over it with RI.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:03am
post #6 of 20

when I do cookies with difficult images that I don't want to use edible images. I do a royal icing transfer - same as buttercream but don't reverse your image as one it dries - at least 24 hours it comes off and then I use a little royal on the cookie and place the image on. Here is an example
LL

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 20

sgirvan: Thanks. I had wondered about that. Is there a way to make sure that it will be level with the cookie? Should I let it dry on the paper on top of the cookie? I know that sometimes the cookies have little dip in them or aren't always even and can only imagine the transfer breaking or sticking up in certain areas of the cookie.

MichelleM77: what did you use to make the stencil with?

mjduphilly: Great job! It looks really nice.

Thanks for the ideas! It's a good thing Ihave a couple of weeks to practice.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 20

I just bought blank stencil plastic at the craft store. I cut it out with an Xacto knife. That was the longest part of the whole process, but it was the only way I could see getting the image to look like the logo without using an edible image.

I love sgirvan's transfer technique as well!

sgirvan Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 20

It depends on if you want to ice the whole cookie or not. If you are putting royal on the whole cookie, the image will kind of soak into the icing and it doesn't stick out from the cookie any more than if you were to pipe it right on the cookie.
LL
LL

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 20

sgirvan.....do you lift the image off the stencil sheet with a spatula? I have to make 60 cookies next week and was going to use edible images..my local grocery store said the sheets cost 9.00 a sheet....yikes!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 20

I agree with sgirvan's techniques. Complete your image on wax paper. Once it dries, then you can either a) put icing on the back of the image--being careful with pressure so you don't break it--and place on the cookie or b) ice the cookie and then place the image on the cookie so it can soak in with the rest of the icing and blend in.
Another thing you can do to make sure that your cookies come out flat every time is that as soon as they come out of the oven, apply light, even pressure across the cookie with an angled spatula. Be careful not to dip into the cookie. You will see it flatten out. Good luck.

Jennifer

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 20

sgirvan---do you have your own edible image printer? If not, where do you get them? TIA

sgirvan Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #13 of 20

Hello,
Yes I have my own edible system - A Canon IP4300

I like the transfers but some times want to put a little extra detail into the cookies and then the RI images are nice but take a long time to do.
Doing 60 cookies with RI transfers will take a long time. Make sure they are completley dry 24 hrs before trying to lift them off the paper - if they don't come off that means they are not dry, mine pop right off.

sgirvan Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #14 of 20

Hello,
Yes I have my own edible system - A Canon IP4300

I like the transfers but some times want to put a little extra detail into the cookies and then the RI images are nice but take a long time to do.
Doing 60 cookies with RI transfers will take a long time. Make sure they are completley dry 24 hrs before trying to lift them off the paper - if they don't come off that means they are not dry, mine pop right off.

IrishCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IrishCookie Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #15 of 20

sgirvan - I am new doing cookies, I want to learn everything about decorating cookies in different ways. Could you do a step by step on how you do your RI transfers?
Thanks

sgirvan Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for asking, the next time I do one, I will be sure to take pics along the way icon_biggrin.gif

IrishCookie Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks Sgirvan - Could you email it to me at [email protected]?

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:38pm
post #18 of 20

Hi, I came across this website that my be helpful. It is how to make perfect lettering but I think it would work to get a transfer of a picture onto a cookie. You use a pma pencil which is a nontoxic pencil (most pencils are nontoxic as they are not made with lead but with graphite). Here is the link:

http://www.cookiedecorating.com/webpages/CookieIdea.aspx?idea=108

I hope this helps!

Susan

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:10pm
post #19 of 20

Pull the paper off the transfer - NOT the transfer off the paper!
Always remove what you don't want from what you do want - less breakage.

IrishCookie Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 20

Thank you for you help. I will use it.
Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%