Castle Turrets Or Towers And Castle Construction

Decorating By stlalohagal Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 10:12pm by stlalohagal

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #1 of 10

OK I need advice for a 7 Yr Old.

This is for a Dad & Lad Cake Bake for Scouts. He wants to do a castle. We went through my books and he picked a Debbie Brown basic square cake to be dressed up with 4 turrets/towers.

I printed the CakeBoss directions that someone had in another thread and I've pulled 4 TP rolls (minus the TP ! icon_biggrin.gif ) from our craft supply box, and I've got the ice cream cones but he doesn't want the pointy things on top as he calls them. He just wants the squared off stone look. Any other suggestions here?

We're trying to keep this extremely simple. I don't want to aggravate my DH by having them cover a cake with Fondant. Can they just cut out panels and attach them to the 4 sides and one for the top? Anotherwards,... after they bake the cakes, fill, coat in BC, then measure and then cut out the top and trim, then measure the sides, slightly taller so they can use a small square cookie cutter to do the top edge like the stone for the turrets/towers and attach them. The turrets/towers would cover the seams at the corners... Then it's just decoration after that with windows, doors, etc... Oh, almost forgot I've got the stone impression mat that they can run over the panel before they place them.

OK, I think that's it. Jump in please if you know of something I missed I'm totally open for suggestions. I NEED to make this extremely, did I mention my DH does not bake, deco, etc... icon_surprised.gif This needs to be short and sweet. I'm working with our son in advance on the turrets/towers so DH won't have to do that part because I can hear him now.... We're also doing a haunted castle (hopefully) this weekend our son and myself so we can maybe work out some bugs, or bats as they may be! icon_smile.gif

Alright I'll leave it to you guys to fill me in on the detail and any suggestions!!! Thanks!!!

- Paula

PS - He's already done his dragon. I'll post it in the kids section under my photos. I rolled the body shape and coached him as he viewed instructions in a Debbie Brown Book. He then painted with silver luster dust colored with blue and edible clear glitter on the wings... I think he did really well! (I just posted the pic after I posted this message so give it a few minutes if it's not there yet.)

9 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:02am
post #2 of 10

I am not sure I understood the question, but if your asking can you cut fondant and attach each piece to the sides and top of the cake, the answer would be use. Of course then there would be the question about the look of a seam. What would you use to camoflauge all those points where the sides and top meet.

As for the turrets, inside of the wafer cone, a sugar cone could be used. It will make it flat.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:11am
post #3 of 10

I am not sure if you are interested or not but I did a castle in all buttercream. I used a number 5 tip to make dime sized mounds of icing. I then put a glove on my hand and dipped my pointer finger in powdered sugar and flatted the dots to make it look like blocks. I am not very good at decorating and this was easier for me than fondant. Also, I used the regular ice cream cones for the turrets. I took two cones and put the flat bottoms together so that I had the wider part at the top and bottom (does this make sense?). I put the pointed sugar cone on top but that could be left off.

I hope this helps some. Your son's dragon looks great! Good luck to him and his Dad on the cake!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:21am
post #4 of 10

Love your idea for the turrets, thanks for sharing

AnythingSugar Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:18am
post #5 of 10

You are very welcome. Due to lack of talent, I am learning to be creative LOL.

AnythingSugar Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:28am
post #6 of 10

Gee the comments are getting all out of order. What is up with that?

stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingSugar

I am not sure if you are interested or not but I did a castle in all buttercream. I used a number 5 tip to make dime sized mounds of icing. I then put a glove on my hand and dipped my pointer finger in powdered sugar and flatted the dots to make it look like blocks. I am not very good at decorating and this was easier for me than fondant. Also, I used the regular ice cream cones for the turrets. I took two cones and put the flat bottoms together so that I had the wider part at the top and bottom (does this make sense?). I put the pointed sugar cone on top but that could be left off.

I hope this helps some. Your son's dragon looks great! Good luck to him and his Dad on the cake!

Your castle looks great! I like that you can eat it all! (Yumm!) I love it, but my son wants 'the straight up and down kind' he said, and 'the block things at the top' to quote him. He's very particular. While trying to talk him into this type we came across the deli ma that he doesn't want the pointy tops to his turrets, he said it made it to girly... go figure icon_smile.gif That would leave the ice cream cones visible at the top then. Aside for all that my DH would get overwhelmed with the amount of dots to pipe on the cake. I was trying to limit their use with a piping bag. I'm even going to show them how to do the grass by spreading a layer of frosting and use the flat of the blade and lift up. We'll see how that one goes. The big winner on the cake last year was this 'gel stuff' as Michael (my son) called it. So we'll use blue gel for the moat. I'm even having Michael make rocks so they won't have to worry about borders.

Thanks for all the suggestions though I appreciate anything and everything!

- Paula

stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

I am not sure I understood the question, but if your asking can you cut fondant and attach each piece to the sides and top of the cake, the answer would be use. Of course then there would be the question about the look of a seam. What would you use to camoflauge all those points where the sides and top meet.

As for the turrets, inside of the wafer cone, a sugar cone could be used. It will make it flat.

Thanks for the feedback... that's exactly what I am worried about. I know the turrets/towers will cover the 4 corners but I'm worried about the top. I'm planning them taller than the top so maybe it won't be a problem. I don't' know.

Also, I was going to have the turrets/towers inset slightly on the corners, like the Cake Boss showed in their tutorial. (Imagine the red cross symbol,.. but not that dramatic.)

We're doing out Halloween cake this weekend and we're doing it as a practice of this cake so we'll hopefully find some of the trouble spots. I just didn't know if anyone had anything upfront they could share if they've done something similar, or just if they've made a castle, if there was an easier way.

Thanks!

- Paula

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 10

Does it all have to be handmade? If not Wilton sells the castle cake set at most craft stores. The towers/turrets are made out of plastic. You just add the cake. JoAnne's has a 50% coupon in this Sunday's paper. I just got our kit for $10. It gives very detailed instructions on a medeival castle and I've also seen a haunted castle used w/it.

stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2c-m

Does it all have to be handmade? If not Wilton sells the castle cake set at most craft stores. The towers/turrets are made out of plastic. You just add the cake. JoAnne's has a 50% coupon in this Sunday's paper. I just got our kit for $10. It gives very detailed instructions on a medeival castle and I've also seen a haunted castle used w/it.

Thanks mom2c-m! I just bought the castle set this week to play with for this project... problem is it's to difficult for a 7 year old and most especially dad. Michael wants the castle gray, no problem but the Wilton stuff is all white and would have to be covered in fondant. I had him try this and the length of them got to be to much and the flaired end for the turrets with the cut outs he wants but he doesn't like how it looks once covered.

We follwed the CakeBoss directions today after school and managed to cover TP rolls w/o the ice cream cone inside easily enough since it was all straight and shorter. Then we cut and wrapped just the cut out stone part to the top. He likes the look and it seemed easier for him to do. Now if we can just get dad on board! icon_lol.gif

I'm still troubled with the cake itself... Ive got it made, just a simple 2 layer cake with the corners notched out. I'm going to crumb coat to seal in any extra crumbs and then measure each side and cut each panel to fit exactly (hopefully). It will have to wait till we get home later this evening... got to run to a school haunted forest!

I'll keep you all posted!!

- Paula

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%