Piping Gel...how The Hell?

Decorating By button-moon Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 10:48am by LSW

button-moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
button-moon Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 13

can u eat piping gel...i bought some a while ago thinking it would come in handy for something...and nows the time i need to use it, but i dont know anything about it. can you colour it? is so what with, can you flavour it? what does it taste liek coz i have to say it doesnt smell the nicest stuff! im trying to make blood.......
please reply, thanks
Tracey

12 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 13

I just used it for my latest creation "Juicy" in my gallery. I prefer to use liquid food color (like what you buy in the grocery store) to color piping gel. A little goes a loooooong way.

I don't know why you couldn't flavor it too, but I have never tried that. Maybe a little cinnamon extract would be good for that "bloody" taste. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 13

Please see duplicate post with additional answers

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5698111-.html#5698111

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 13

I used gel for a stained glass cake and was afraid that it would leave either a bad taste or a weird consistency in your mouth, but it was fine. I didn't even notice it (and I was quite relieved because I was serving this to several other people!). I colored mine w/ Americolor. Worked fine.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 13

I never had any complaints when I used piping gel on a cake. I have only used it to make water. It does color VERY easy. I have also wondered if you could flavor it....

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 13

It will be PERFECT for blood. Goopy, gloppy, and spreadable. It just tastes like sugar or karo syrup but with a different mouthfeel. It's really okay in small doses and kids love it. You only need a little color, which is definitely a plus and like previously mentioned, a little goes a long way.

HAVE FUN!!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 13

No complaints from cakes I've decorated with piping gel.
Like others have said. You only need a tiny bit of coloring.

pattycakes1326 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes1326 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 13

Besides decorating, I use piping gel to get fondant to stick to cakes...either fondant on fondant, or fondant on buttercream. For whatever reason, when I just use water I don't have as much success, particularly if the piece is a little heavy. Just put a little piping gel in a dish, take a paintbrush and brush the areas you want something to stick to. thumbs_up.gif

button-moon Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 13

thank-you so much for the reply, i didnt realise id made 2 posts!!! i thought one of them didnt work coz i couldnt find it! thanks to all the replies though. So none of you have actually flavoured it? maybe vanilla would do....its partly because of the smell! ill be using quite alot of it, coz im hoping to make a nightmare on elm street...so you can guess there will be alot of blood! im just hoping i can pull it off. if i can get it finished by monday ill post it here!!
so do you have to water it down or anything...mine looks quite 'jellified!' i havnt even took it out of the pot yet...it stinks!

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 13

I'm pretty sure the gel I used didn't have any smell to it at all, so I'm not sure what you're smelling, but I would think a little vanilla would help!

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:25am
post #11 of 13

Also, make sure you stir it up real good.

button-moon Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:29am
post #12 of 13

wow....i luv piping gel!!! as u can see by the cake..i got abit carried away with the 'blood' and yes your all right u only need a TINY bit of colouring....but it sure tastes good! thanks for all the help, i was happy for all the tips!! please leave comments on my cake page if u like it! i luv reading them. just click on my profile...then 'my pics' thank-you again!

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:48am
post #13 of 13

I've used piping gel alot on cakes and found you can flavor it with candy flavors. Loranne oils work great. You only need a little bit. They have a wide variety of flavors, available at cake shops or craft stores like A.C. Moore. I did a Christmas cake with snowflakes and tinted the gel blue with a drop of peppermint. It tasted good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%