How Long Can It Sit Out?

Baking By aligotmatt Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm by all4cake

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 8

I have a 4 tier cake this weekend, 3 of them have flavored buttercreams as fillings, but one will have cream cheese icing (cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar) as filling. How long can it sit out?

I would like to hear that it doesn't require any refrigeration at all, because I think the condensation will mess with the design on the cake. But I assume that 4 days wouldn't work, right? how about 2 days? I really don't want people to get sick...

7 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 8

anybody?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know about anyone else, but when I make, say, carrot cake for the house....That things sits under a cake dome for about 6 days or so...one has ever gotten sick.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 8

I play it safe and keep cream cheese icings in the fridge. There is something I remember reading about adding lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture to lower the pH and to help preserve it, I don't remember the details or ratio though. Sorry.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8
CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 8

I think I saw a post just this past week about how when the dairy is with the sugar the molecules do something together and it will not go bad...now I don't know if that was just with milk/cream in the frosting but I am pretty sure but not 100% but I think it was indydebi that informed us of that....I will see if I can find it...

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

Use caution when using dairy products like whip cream, cream cheese etc... the sugarr will act as a preservative to cover you alittle beyond the 2 hour dairy warnings that the health dept. recommends but I think I would....

1. buy cream cheese or cheesecake candy oil and add this to an icing recipe that is non dairy. I did this for my daughters wedding cake recently to creat a faux cream cheese filling and it was a WOW...the caterer loved the frosting and asked me to make a large order of small cakes with the exact recipe!!!

If you dicide to use real cream cheese, I'd up the powdered sugar and would say the cake should be eaten within 4-5 hours of leaving the fridge.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 8

Sam's Club uses a cream cheese icing. It is maintained at room temperature until it is used...usually 2 weeks(slow times...)or 2 days(busy times). Cream cheese is an ingredient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%