Beware When Creating User Account With Decopac

Decorating By deletedeletedelete Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 1:29am by tripleD

deletedeletedelete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deletedeletedelete Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 13

In the past couple of months I have recieved 2 calls on my personal cell phone from people stating they "were on-line looking at cakes, found one they liked, choose a bakery and my name came up". First caller seemed a little flaky and since I have never advertised on-line (I only do this on the side for family, friends, and co-workers) and am not licensed I grew very concerned. Like I said, caller was a little flaky, so they could not tell me the website they were on. Several co-workers and myself tried for over a week to find me on-line anyway we could possibly think of. Needless to say, I turned down the cake. I eventually forgot about it but today I received another call from someone else. This lady was very nice and intelligent and walked me through the website she was on, told me every step she took, the other bakeries in the area that came up, and the disclaimer about the cakes on the page. This website was www.cakes.com which is linked to www.decopac.com
I never ordered anything from their website since I am not a licensed business with tax id #'s so I was very disturbed to find my personal cell phone and home address on this website... Mind you I have a very trusty security system but I just wanted to warn others that you need to make sure you are not on this website if you do not wish to be. I called the company and had them remove me. They insisted I was there because I had placed an order. I countered that I had not, I could not because I am not an official business and the sets I wanted to buy from them I actually bought off of e-bay. They assured me that I would be removed immediately but it could take up to a week for the website to clear me as a bakery in a certain area...
Free advertising if I were licensed, but I am not and I certainly don't want my home address and personal cell phone # out there for the world to see.
Just wanted to warn others,
Gloria

12 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 13

Wow, thanks for the warning! A while ago I wanted to set up an account and got rejected. But after hearing your story I wanted to double check. I'm not there!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 13

Interesting! I checked (as I do order from them) and sure enough I am there, home addy and all. Which does explain a call I got a long time ago asking for cake #such and such... I'm like WHAT?? I do order my fondant from them but no decorating kits so I couldn't figure out how this lady thought I had this kit. Now I know icon_smile.gif

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 13

Wow, thats not good! I order from them all the time and I checked and I am not on there. Keep up after them if your name is not removed. They have no right to have it listed without your consent.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #5 of 13

You guys should be aware of another thread from not too long ago about cake decorating scams. The thread is called "Scam?" and it is in the Cake Decorating Business Forum, in case my link doesn't work. Be very careful when receiving phone calls about cake orders when you don't know the people that are calling or they sound suspicious.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-523353-.html

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks cierrasmommy!! I order from them and my name is on there!! Can I call and get my info off of there?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 13

I checked it out, and the only "bakeries" listed are for Walmart and some local grocery stores. Whew!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 13

so where do you go to see if you are listed on their site?

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 13

I went to www.cakes.com.

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 13

I had the same problem ( I am licensed) I kept getting random phone calls for kids birthday cakes and they obviously had not been on my site, I dont make sheet cakes and I dont put plastic toys on top, evantually one of the calls told me the website she had found me on. DecoPac took me of very quickly.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:45am
post #11 of 13

I checked cakes.com and it is down as of this moment. It might come back. Check this out too. It is on their site when you sign up for an account:

"The information provided by you will be used only by DecoPac to determine if you qualify to become a customer of DecoPac, Inc. This provided information is confidential and will not be sold or shared to any entities for commercial or research purposes."

To me, putting your info up on a site without your knowing violates this.

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #12 of 13

Go to www.decopac.com , scroll down and click on find a bakery. That way it works. When I went to www.cakes.com it did not work.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #13 of 13

OMG! I am on the cakes.com. I ever even knew it. I have been dealing with decopac for about 3 years. I don't buy there plastic decorations but I was getting my fondant from them. I think they shold ask if we want listed. I am going to have to look into this.

Thanks for the discovery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%