Cake Dowelling

Decorating By chebean Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm by leah_s

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #1 of 7

i am just finishing my first fondant covered cake. thumbs_up.gif and i am wondering how to keep the tiers together. i don't have anything really sharp to sharpen a dowel and i used bamboo skewers to support the top layer. can i use a bamboo skewer to dowell my two tiered cake?

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:00am
post #2 of 7

I've used bamboo skewers before, but they were the thicker ones. I think you might be ok if you use enough of them at appropriate intervals.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:36am
post #3 of 7

I have a little pencil sharpener that I use to work on the dowels. It is one of the cheap style. I have heard that bamboo skewers can splinter very easily. I use bubble straws also. HTH

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 7

thanks for the help....i couldn't find my daughter's little pencil sharpener and yes, the bamboo skewers splinter.

i delivered the cake unscathed....thank goodness! i will try the pencil sharpener for my dowels.

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:31am
post #5 of 7

I use the corrugated plastic cake boards on my cakes (because I feel like they are sturdier), how do you dowel through these? I have been afraid to even try. That plastic is tough and I am scared it would bend the cake board instead of piercing it.

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

make sure it is really sharp and hammer quickly... not that I have tried that, but seems like it would work... you could make a practice cake just to see.... in your spare time of course!!! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 7

Just switch to SPS (see multiple threads) and throw those dowels away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%